Udon police arrest Swiss expat who killed armed intruder at his home

webfact

10 minutes ago, club said:
20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Shot dead with no questions asked?    What do you base that on?

Common sense in almost any country except this one 

What?   You're claiming that it's "common sense" that, in almost any country, an off duty police officer killing an intruder to his premises would be processed "with no questions asked"?    Could you give an example of a country where that happens, please?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Possible, but more likely not. 

Sounds like a man with experience.  I know quite a few expats who have found their mate on the internet......many teachers and government employees who have free access to the internet seem to have a leg up on the competition.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

The Swiss guys looks to be in good shape for being 63, even if he's found innocent of any crime (which he should be), what's the possibility one of the deceased relatives try to get revenge latter on?

Swiss guy reenacting the attempted robbery here:

He is in a lose lose situation. Even if he is found not guilty, he will either have the family after him for revenge or for compensation.

Once the court case is over, it might be time for him to move to another far away location.

Around 7:16 -7:23 in the video, it looks like the cops standing behind him in the demo was worried he was going to hurt the cop on the floor.

Edited by phetphet

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?   You're claiming that it's "common sense" that, in almost any country, an off duty police officer killing an intruder to his premises would be processed "with no questions asked"?    Could you give an example of a country where that happens, please?

USA. If someone breaks into your house and threatens you with a firearm, You have every right to kill the M<deleted>. What's your idea ? Ask him politely to put the gun down , Then ask him if he would like to join you in a spot of tea. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Exhausted after reading "Thai Justice".

"Thai justice" is a myth.

Now the nightmare begins for the swede trying to protect his life and property.

Miserable people in the clueless justice department.

1 hour ago, club said:

USA. If someone breaks into your house and threatens you with a firearm, You have every right to kill the M<deleted>. What's your idea ? Ask him politely to put the gun down , Then ask him if he would like to join you in a spot of tea. 

Well, thank-you, but the crime didn't happen in the USA , so USA laws are irrelevant 

• Haha 1

This is total <deleted>. The Swiss man should be given a medal and an apology from the governor for the dead guy’s behavior. 
Until something else comes up the Swiss man and his wife should be left alone. 
Farang should stay away from Thailand until this is cleared up.

I hope he doesn’t get a 500 Baht surcharge for calling the police.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well, thank-you, but the crime didn't happen in the USA , so USA laws are irrelevant 

I was asked what other country can you kill someone that breaks into your house and threatens you with a gun. Try to pay attention to the conversation before you open your mouth

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've lived in isarn for decades, and met lots of pensioners with local gfs. 

Low %age are normal relationships with professionals. 

I guess that contributes to the Stigma of Isarn women.... 

There are also many women from that Geographical region who are professionals...  (flight attendants, Lawyer, Engineer, Geophysicist - Just a few of the careers of the some of the females from Isarn that I know of). 

There are also many many members on this forum who did not meet their significant other in a bar or though other means whereby the female would be considered an ‘occupational farang hunter’.

That said - the odds may be in your favour that you are correct, generalisations exist for a reason.

Nevertheless - just because someone has gone out with their friends and also married to a foreigner does not imply they are any less virtuous or an alcoholic.

No, if we were to see tattoos, hear the lady speak, see a 25 year age gap etc then the generalisation is strengthened - but nothing in the story so far suggests any such thing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

This is total <deleted>. The Swiss man should be given a medal and an apology from the governor for the dead guy’s behavior. 
Until something else comes up the Swiss man and his wife should be left alone. 
Farang should stay away from Thailand until this is cleared up.

I hope he doesn’t get a 500 Baht surcharge for calling the police.  

I disagree, this story needs to be full verified and the facts known . 

There may be more to this story and it needs to be investigated  

Watching the vid and observing the body language of the quite credible Rudolf; I feel that he is more than likely telling the truth. The wife certainly appeared genuine too (again IMO). The account described certainly seems very plausible........................................................If the intruder isn't influencial and/or well connected and Rudolf has a few quid tucked away for the victims family, laywers, judge and the police etc, with a bit of luck, he could be back home in the not too distant future...................................then, situation depending, they might want to consider moving fairly quickly......................................................I hope it works out for them..............

• Like 1

If the facts are as stated, and the Thai guy broke into his home, and brandished a weapon, all bets are off at that point, and a man should have the right to defend himself however he sees fit. If is results in the intruder dying, so be it. There should be no charges, and never in a million years years would a Thai be charged for such a crime. If he is charged it will be even more evidence that the judicial system here is irrevocably broken, the police are terminally incompetent, and racism is alive and well.

Tens of thousands of ex-pats have already left. Many more are leaving as we speak. Just give us more reasons to get out of here, why don't you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

It appears justice has already been served.

In LOS justice doesn't exist - unless you pay for it - sad, but true ...

Edited by ttrd

48 minutes ago, steven100 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Combination of both...  the Thai guy fancied the Wife, also was disparaged for money and thinks the ‘farang is rich’....  There’s no telling what goes through the mind of a desperate person.

agree ......  and was the wife in cohoots on the scheme ........  if so she conspired to commit murder and/or crime.

how does one sleep through a fight and gunshot noises. 

I don’t know... but if you speak with a couple of ‘prolific posters’ they’d argue their ex wives slept through sex !

Seriously though... for someone who is an early riser, when they go out, meet friends, have a few drinks, when they get home they collapse into a deep sleep. 

In our younger years (30’s) my wife and I would go out - she’d sleep for Thailand after that !!!... totally out for the count.

It's not entirely unfeasible that they wife slept through the commotion. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Cases like this is just one of the reasons I have video-cams installed in every room of my house. 

Should you one day need to protect yourself from an intruder or a girlfriend/wife with a knife, then at least you have some documentation.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If the facts are as stated, and the Thai guy broke into his home, and brandished a weapon, all bets are off at that point, and a man should have the right to defend himself however he sees fit. If is results in the intruder dying, so be it. There should be no charges, and never in a million years years would a Thai be charged for such a crime. If he is charged it will be even more evidence that the judicial system here is irrevocably broken, the police are terminally incompetent, and racism is alive and well.

Tens of thousands of ex-pats have already left. Many more are leaving as we speak. Just give us more reasons to get out of here, why don't you?

Feel the same way but have clowns on here that love to argue. They get blocked fast

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Cases like this is just one of the reasons I have video-cams installed in every room of my house. 

Should you one day need to protect yourself from an intruder or a girlfriend/wife with a knife, then at least you have some documentation.

family members and visitors might take offence to having video cameras in rooms ......    I know i would.   kinky 

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

Pretty crappy looking pistol. Very unlikely to be registered. Unless it was bought as a prop I can’t see any Swiss person I ever met buying it for personal use. On the other hand, it’s very plausible as something a Thai man without a lot of money would buy either for criminal use or just to have to wave in other people’s faces.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

53 year old Sathian

Scales a wall with a loaded gun: he's in good shape ? The gun: who really owns it; where did it come from, given fire-arms are illegal except for police ?

63 year old Swiss overpowers him:  he's in good shape, martial artist ? Sathian: drunk or drugged ? Wife asleep: she doesn't wake up when she hears sounds of a fight; is she drunk, sedated, part of the plot ?

Too many missing puzzle pieces.

• Confused 1

I really hope this is just procedure.

Watching the news video, I just wonder what goes through their heads, why put handcuffs on the guy? he seems to be behaving in a calm and reasonable manner.

What are news cameras doing there anyway? this is quite a serious issue with repercussions for all, the questioning should be taking place in a police station with an interpreter. 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1