Double Vaxxed And Caught Covid: Anyone Else?

BKKBike09

5 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

No vaccine ever gives full immunity. The polio, measles, and mumps vaccine were so successful because everyone got them, so even breakthrough cases were unlikely to spread further.

The mRNA vaccines are not "leaky", they are borderline miraculous. And now with the treatment coming from Merck it'll be a 1-2 punch that will get us back to reasonably normal much more quickly.

Not true. The polio vaccine, when given the original dose and a booster does provide sterilizing protection for 3 to 5 years and if given a second booster provides sterilizing immunity for an unknown amount of time. Just had this discussion on another discussion board. The mRNA vaccines ARE leaky, which is unfortunate, but provides more than enough protection to, along with all of the other medicines was have discovered, mostly end this pandemic. 

Not sure why people seem to get so defensive when someone else says the mRNA vaccines aren't perfect. They are more than good enough for the purposes intended but they could definitely be better and it's unfortunate that they aren't because then we could beat this virus quicker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Yes. Hard to understand that so many are still so ignorant 

Not really hard to understand, as we are all ignorant until we know

the results at the end of final trial period. So far Government published

figures of vaccine deaths in the West are not encouraging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Not really hard to understand, as we are all ignorant until we know

the results at the end of final trial period. So far Government published

figures of vaccine deaths in the West are not encouraging.

Ignorant of the fact that vaccines are not being touted as a way to prevent infection. 

Morning BKKBike,

I'm glad you weathered the infection well and are feeling better.

I can see and read clearly medically factual grounded view of Covid 19, surrounding topics, and treatment/prevention measures.

I post these links from a cross section of medical organisations not to inform you personally but as an opportunity to show some clarity on the stat's around what we are seeing worldwide with covid vaccinated and unvaccinated responses to infection for other readers and OP's.

I thought to do so due as there is great deal of misunderstanding by so many as to the way in which influenza vaccines actually work, their efficiency, and efficacy. 

The articles show a marked incidence of danger,  far higher rates of mortality, and long term life changing co-morbiditie.

One recent life-changing example being a Canadian anti-vaccer player e.g. https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/oilers-notes-archibald-has-inflamed-heart-muscle who has apparently now no future as a professional sportsman due to the virus.

These other references give a collective statistical measure over a long period of covid behaviour in the populations around the world and the amendment measures of vaccines and other treatments.

One of the most glaring examples of misinformed thinking about Covid Influenza vaccines is that even if you get them you get sick so why bother to have it as it might not be safe and have some as yet unknown terrible side-effects (ala conspiracy, incompetence, malevolence on the part of the global pharma (and others) producers).

The stats clearly show a predictable, common-garden variety, atypical adverse side effects in vaccinated cohort groups as in line with the overall history of vaccine development and administering. So 'nothing to see here' as the saying goes.

As to the issue of if I get sick anyway why do I have to have a vaccine? The numbers speak for themselves, and your case is a typical example of the bodies increased capacity to fight and neutralise a virus that has na high mortality rate as compared to previous similar strain influenza outbreaks i.e. SARS 1 and 2.

The range of Covid 19 influenza strain vaccines are not a 100% deterrent or cure. No less so than other influenza vaccines for lesser dangerous influenza strains e.g. the common annual flu shot. They were never expected (by epidemiological experts) to be so either. In this article they speak of how vaccines work ands what is the progression in the human body after vaccination which helps clarify, somewhat, the fallacy that the covid vaccine's are useless because they doesn't act as a magic bullet (https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know)

Vaccines offered are in other words doing exactly what they were engineered to do and are clearly effective in markedly reducing the risk of far more dangerous immune system responses to Covid infection and are clearly fatality preventative interventions. 

Here's a few world medical body articles that speak to the discussion on the topic of vaccinate or not vaccinate:

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/unvaccinated-patients-dominate-covid-deaths-and-ic

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00460-6/fulltext

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccines-illness-death-risk-1.6171958

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

hey reduce both the risk of getting infection

IMO, and from every bit of data, I've read, no vaccine of any kind, for any disease, prevents infection. Exposure to viruses and bacterial is a part of life and only isolation scenarios could prevent exposure. And then of course, the moment those cease, exposure is again a part of life. Vaccines of the traditional or killed type, simply give your immune system a head - start on infection.  IMO and it's only my opinion, there is not enough data to speculate about the mRNA drugs.  My daughter, (a nurse) was fully vaccinated and still became infected, along with my 4 year-old grandson (not vaccinated) He tested positive but his natural immune system, kept him from any symptoms that would have been obvious in any strep, flu or common- cold (if that is even a thing any longer) A slight temperature and a positive test! My daughter was ill for 3 days. Another very close friend (73 years old) working in the medical (physical therapy) field, unvaccinated, tested twice a week, felt slightly off and tested positive. 3 or 4 day recovery and then decided to get vaccinated. I will be curious to know how his later, twice weekly testing goes. My own personal experience; late Dec. early Jan. of 2019 in Chiang Mai, had contact on a weekly basis, with people from mainland China, (all of them wore masks at this time!) I became ill with the published symptoms but quickly recovered - the chest pain and shortness of breath was not fun and had residual phlegm for months. Shortly after Jan 2020, the world learned about the virus. This is only my opinion and personal experience, but I would trust a traditional vaccine ( such as the Johnson & Johnson or Sinovac before an mRNA. The freedom to choose is valuable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I suppose the main question is: How much worse might it have been had you not been vaccinated?  In my opinion, you only have to look at the real world hospitalization figures to get the answer.

One of our employees, double jabbed in the UK, picked up Covid. He is 43 and in decent health, he developed a blood clot on the lung which they treated and after almost 8 weeks he hopes to be able to return to work.

The doctor stated that without the two jabs it is likely that he would have died. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

So that will be for another 3 years or so. If that's how you wish to live, that is your prerogative. But not for me.

...of course!...personal choice after you've been vaccinated, or not...and the emergency decree has been lifted.

7 hours ago, runamok27 said:

90% of the world??? That's unlikely to happen.

The vast majority of people who get covid, vaccinated or not, do not end up in the hospital or dying. This virus is not nearly as deadly as a lot of you are implying. 

You are probably correct that everybody will get covid, so it is best to get vaccinated. Turns highly unlikely hospitalization or death into basically not going to happen.

....spot on my friend....the WHO correctly described it as a 'weak virus'.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jayboy said:

No it's not.In the vast majority of cases it's not even necessary to go to hospital

That's what I think too, I can understand why Thailand have not started opening up and meeting this Cvirus head on, but surely the countries with a good vaccine rate should be instead of hiding away from it.

I think we all know that if it was not for the unelected PMs dithering over vaccines from the start, Thailand should already be opening up.

3 hours ago, pizzachang said:

...I would trust a traditional vaccine ( such as the Johnson & Johnson or Sinovac before an mRNA. The freedom to choose is valuable.

J&J is not a "traditional vaccine" as you use that term. It is a viral vector, same as AZ.

Sinopharm and Sinovac are inactivated viruses, old technology. But not very effective for COVID. Only about 50% effective in preventing severe disease for theo riginal COVID strain and less so (if at all) for Delta.

Viral vector vaccines have been in use since 2013, and the research on which they are based of course stretches back long before that. They are nto new.

Pfizer and Moderna are the first mRNA vaccines, but their development is based on  research that dates back to 1987.  It is a complete misunderstanding the think that these were developed, from scratch,  in a matter of months. That did not happen and would have been impossible. Rather, the necessary research for use of mRNA platforms to deliver vaccines had already been done, over a period of decades. Once the genome for COVID-19 was known, it was possible to develop a vaccine within months and then test it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LetsGoBrandon said:

OP said he got it from a friend.

Is it not possible he got it from his wife who had just completed the second course

2 weeks before OP got infected?

Or no, that never happens?

His wife has apparently tested negative, was never infected.

• Like 1

Yeah but she got vaccinated and was presumably producing/shedding spike proteins at the time.

Or is shedding a myth?

Tricky stuff.

Anyway, here's a good read that clarifies how all these vaxes work....don't blame me for the 

title I didn't write it. It's a great primer to understand how all this stuff works. I thought I would share.

https://cassandravoices.com/science-environment/science/healthy-people-do-not-require-genetic-vaccination/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pizzachang said:

IMO, and from every bit of data, I've read, no vaccine of any kind, for any disease, prevents infection.

All of the coronavirus vaccines are very effective at reducing both infection and transmission.

11 hours ago, sead said:

Are you telling us you  didn't know that even after getting vaccinated you can get covid?? 

The chances of getting coronavirus after vaccinated is greatly reduced.

A simple google search for something like "coronavirus vaccines reduces infection how much" would yield clear and convincing evidence that vaccines are effective at reducing virus infection and transmission. Clearly you have not bothered to even check your information to the slightest extent. A reasonable person can only conclude that you are deliberately seeking to ignore the readily available facts and spread misinformation.

But how likely are vaccinated people to actually pass the virus on, if they do get infected? Evidence is increasing that, not only do COVID-19 vaccines either stop you getting sick or substantially reduce the severity of your symptoms, they are also likely to substantially reduce the chance of transmitting the virus to others.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduc

Edited by ozimoron

3 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

OP said he got it from a friend.

Is it not possible he got it from his wife who had just completed the second course

2 weeks before OP got infected?

Or no, that never happens?

I said I thought I got it from a friend during dinner (in a BKK restaurant) if only because timeline fitted (first symptoms 4 days after that dinner, that friend had similar symptoms starting a day or two after the dinner although has always tested negative, and people are most infectious it seems a couple of days before symptoms start and a couple of days after). But maybe I got it from someone else like my wife, if she was an asymptomatic carrier etc. I think unlikely because she is paranoid about covid to extent of wearing a mask in the car when on her own ...

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

His wife has apparently tested negative, was never infected.

She tested negative twice with rapid kits and has never shown any symptoms. Can't say she was never infected because rapid test kits are not very good at picking up asymptomatic cases.

3 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I said I thought I got it from a friend during dinner (in a BKK restaurant) if only because timeline fitted (first symptoms 4 days after that dinner, that friend had similar symptoms starting a day or two after the dinner although has always tested negative, and people are most infectious it seems a couple of days before symptoms start and a couple of days after). But maybe I got it from someone else like my wife, if she was an asymptomatic carrier etc. I think unlikely because she is paranoid about covid to extent of wearing a mask in the car when on her own ...

She tested negative twice with rapid kits and has never shown any symptoms. Can't say she was never infected because rapid test kits are not very good at picking up asymptomatic cases.

You may be on to something because there is talk about how the vax suppresses symptoms in folks who

don't realise they're infected, and still go about their business which spreads C19.

5 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

You may be on to something because there is talk about how the vax suppresses symptoms in folks who

don't realise they're infected, and still go about their business which spreads C19.

More misinformation.  If your asymptomatic and unless tested you have no idea you are infected and can still pass on the virus to others.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks. Perhaps it did save my life. Or perhaps the mild illness I had was as sick as I would have been if unvaccinated. Probably that is unlikely but we'll never know. At least 4 friends of my age had Covid in UK last year before they were vaxxed; none went to hospital.

Over the years I've had 5 days hospitalised with amoebic dysentry (not fun), and a similar period with dengue (also not fun; second time I've had that) I've never seen Covid as being something terrifying. I'm not fat, don't smoke, don't have any underlying illnesses etc. Living in the tropics there are all manner of diseases that can make life very miserable or worse.

True, in Thailand for the moment. But 'compliance with the law' is often a flexible concept in Thailand, which is one of the pleasures - and sometimes frustrations - of living here.

What a terrible month it's been for you.

Dengue!  I understand thats really awful.

How do you think you got the dysentery?

Hygiene isnt a highlight of Thailand to say the least.

Try to stay healthy in October, you need to trick or treating October 31st!

On 10/6/2021 at 10:35 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like the vaccines worked by reducing the severity, that's the idea, many still don't understand that

And he took the second dose 3 months ago. So by now the vaccine is starting to lose its effectiveness.

18 minutes ago, LeatFingies said:

After 3 months and it’s already losing effectiveness? Prepare for a lifetime of jabs. 90 day report + 90 day jab.

Yes. Because there will be no ongoing development of vax as the virus mutates... just like the flu, right? ????????????

• Like 1