Condo ownership by foreigners revealed: China tops, UK in third

webfact

Mainland Chinese do have terrible behaviour; anti- social disruptive unclean loud selfish uncouth, the works really. I worked in Beijing and travelled in China. Same. Other Chinese : complete opposite.

CCP Govt. lectures their citizens on best behaviour habits when travelling abroad. No Effect.

I have witnessed them standing in the aisle, with the aircraft ascending at 45 degrees, unpacking their overhead locker bags, with the Chinese Filght Attendants screaming at them to sit down……

also seen them drive through / around legally crossing pedestrians. … smoking & spitting everywhere.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Mainland Chinese do have terrible behaviour; anti- social disruptive unclean loud selfish uncouth, the works really. I worked in Beijing and travelled in China. Same. Other Chinese : complete opposite.

CCP Govt. lectures their citizens on best behaviour habits when travelling abroad. No Effect.

I have witnessed them standing in the aisle, with the aircraft ascending at 45 degrees, unpacking their overhead locker bags, with the Chinese Filght Attendants screaming at them to sit down……

also seen them drive through / around legally crossing pedestrians. … smoking & spitting everywhere.

Sounds lovely.

Happy to welcome them back soon.

28 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

..........not buying in Bangkok??  or waiting for the price plunge.     ????

Or maybe the very concept of a condo. I'm an American and I would never rent or own one. I don't want my neighbors surrounding me top, bottom, and sides with little more or less than a foot to separate us. And I sure as heck don't want to be locked into owning some condo cell that is magically turned into airbnb hotel. I want a house. That is what I have had ever since I came here. Walls and yards give me privacy and seclusion from the people around me. And those that are around me have been here longer than I have. Mostly retired Thais, living quietly with respect for their neighbors. I rent the house. But I hope I can stay here until I die.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 7:39 PM, 86Tiger said:

This doesn't even remotely make sense.

They sold 34.6k units over what could be argued the best 3 years they ever had for tourism or foreign investment.  And now expect to sale 1 mill units over next five years???  With COVID?  With COE?  With etc. etc. etc.??

That is a huge jump from 35k to 1 mil.  They better get started building those new high rises.   And offer better incentives than I have seen reported.........

Yep, went back up to check, that's the numbers.

2018 and 2019, yes.  But 2020 certainly cannot be counted as one of the 'best' years they ever had for 'tourism or foreign investment'.  

jd: certainly my observations concerned uneducated peasant type middle aged and older Chinese, in large groups, yes the younger educated types encountered at work or outside were extremely well behaved but these are basically broke living in dormitories not travelling overseas, except as students. that Young American attitude you describe is downright weird. back in the 80’s my young american peers were similarly civilized to brits and euros.

• Like 1

The Rich from PRC buy condo elsewhere in foreign market and invest little in Bangkok or Phuket or Pattaya condo.   This group set eyes on real estate in in Vancouver, London and HK ( most expensive worldwide ) .....  etc. 

Those Chinese buying in Thailand are more like middle class PRC. 

Channel 7 reported on the figures for purchase of real estate (mostly in the condo market) over the last three years.

From 2018 to 2020 this comprised 34,653 units amounting to 1.4 million square meters worth 145 billion baht."

Work out the average to  100,000 Baht per sq. meter.   

Reasonable ballpark  ?

12 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:
13 hours ago, relax33 said:

what makes the somchai's really happy is that only 10% of the Chinese population presently have passports .. which means  there is really a big pot of gold waiting to drop upon them when the visitor numbers inevitably go up ...

That's well summed up.

Westerners are a thing of the past.

Welcome to Chailand!

Actually, maybe all it does is sum up that the Thais r really lucky people who can just "Mai Pen Rai" their way to prosperity ... which is really cool n a way  ...

The story about how the Chinese became durian addicts is really amazing ...
The Thais  (in their usually fumbling n happy go lucky ways) did nothing to promote the fruit n never in their wildest dreams would ever fathom that  durians can be a big hit in China ...

It was the small Chinese traders who labored to bring it up n took 5 - 7 years to finally get people to like it ...
Initially, sales volume was really small as it was really hard to get consumers to overcome the pungent smell to even want to taste it  (even with free sampling )  .
Than when consumers start to like it a little, cost was the 2nd barrier as durians r really expensive compared to other fruits ... n was even more so after logistic costs to China were added ...

The result was that the initial traders who imported durians into China lost $ for several years .
Than when they finally see some light n started making some $ to replenish their losses, the big Supermarket chains n  State affiliated Traders  swoop in to buy  direct from the Thai durian traders;  who happily sold it at more favorable prices to the big boys given the huge volumes  that they  offer ..

So the small traders ended up exiting the business with zero reward for all the hard work  n time put in to create the demand for durians  . ..
Unfortunately, this shows that Life can sometimes be really cruel  ...