Are TWO-year Work Permits possible?

Are TWO-year Work Permits possible?

Every year we renew my ONE-year WP for my own very small Thai company.

Thai friend of my wife told my wife that her chinese husband gets a TWO-year WP.

1. Are TWO-year WPs available (or is my wife being misinformed?)?

2. What's the different criteria for a ONE-year WP and a TWO-year WP?

• Haha 1

hi

its all about the contract.. if they mention 2 years in your contract you can get your wp 2 years.

but tbh thai ppl dont like to do that. there are many reasons for that why they dont want to do.

first reason is because when you sign your contract 1 year and 1 year they can avoid many things.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/8/2021 at 8:34 PM, alien365 said:

By having a two year WP, you will now only need a health check once every two years too. Saves a bit of cash but more importantly your time. 

Renewed my 2yr work permit and extension about 3 months ago... no medical required, from memory the renewal previous no medical then either.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:10 PM, problemfarang said:

hi

its all about the contract.. if they mention 2 years in your contract you can get your wp 2 years.

but tbh thai ppl dont like to do that. there are many reasons for that why they dont want to do.

first reason is because when you sign your contract 1 year and 1 year they can avoid many things.

Making you sign a new contract every year.

Many companies believe wrongly it will have the effect of reducing severence payments etc. It makes no difference in any way. They cannot change conditions every year to their benefit unless you want to agree to the new conditions.

Re' severence.  The Labour office only look at number of years and months of continual tax records. Signing a new contract every year doesn't change that total.

6 hours ago, Croma said:

My work permit was granted 2019 and expires 2023. 4 years. No idea why that's the case when it sounds almost unheard of when i talk to others. it's my first one and the company organised it. 

Could it have been your contract being 4 years? Mine was 3 years and WP/Extension covered that.