Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

1 hour ago, Pib said:

But I think the way it works (from my personal experience with having my acct tagged before) is when you have your Wise acct tagged to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank then all of your transfers, whether to Bangkok Bank, Kaikorn, Krungsri, etc., will be routed/processed to Bangkok Bank who in turns posts the funds to your Bangkok Bank acct "or" relays them to your other Thai bank acct like K-bank/Krungsri around 2pm.  

When I had my Wise acct tagged to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank so I could get FTT coding at Bangkok Bank then even my transfers to my Krungsri Bank acct showed up a little before 2pm as a domestic transfer regardless of reason of transfer choose....never an instant transfer...and the Wise PDF Receipt always showed Bangkok Bank being used as the partner bank.

I did wonder about that whether if it's tagged it will go via Bangkok Bank Partner irrespective if you select BB or Kasikorn, although we know it doesn't get processed as International if it goes to Kasikorn

3 hours ago, Pib said:

However, I do realize that would cause people to possibly not select the most accurate reason for the transfer because getting FTT coding is more important to them.

The only two reasons in the list to need an FTT are for buying property or long term stay. All the others can be shown as local.

Why would anyone select any of the others if they need an FTT. Does it need to be 'accurate'? Even if it for say medical expenses, put for long term stay.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The only two reasons in the list to need an FTT are for buying property or long term stay. All the others can be shown as local.

Why would anyone select any of the others if they need an FTT. Does it need to be 'accurate'? Even if it for say medical expenses, put for long term stay.

Another reason for FTT coding "regardless of the reason chosen" is to make it easier to repatriate money as some Thai banks make it hard to repatriate a large sum of money  unless you have a work permit or show sale of property where foreign funds were used to buy.   

If someday you want to repatriate funds after sending over saying 40K or 65K or ???? per month for "many" years which will sum up to a large sum of money....a lot of which you might have saved....having all of that FTT coding provides proof the funds came from outside Thailand and can be repatriated without an augment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Looks like the issue is still there, I did a Wise transfer in the last 24 hours and came with tag "Interbank Transfer via SMART". Previous transfers came with "International transfer".  This is my Bangkok bank account.

I did an interactive support chat with Wise and they are going to look at the issue. I sent them a link of this thread to see how many people are affected.

Transfers this morning seem to be working ok, yesterday when you did yours not working

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Looks like the issue is still there, I did a Wise transfer in the last 24 hours and came with tag "Interbank Transfer via SMART". Previous transfers came with "International transfer".  This is my Bangkok bank account.

I did an interactive support chat with Wise and they are going to look at the issue. I sent them a link of this thread to see how many people are affected.

When did you do your transfer?

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Transfers this morning seem to be working ok, yesterday when you did yours not working

Seems like we read the same posts, but no one who said their transfer was not instant and would be deposited at 2pm have yet to confirm it was and had the FTT coding.

I did see 2 or 3 people say that they did a transfer this morning that was instant indicating the issue is still there.

Very confusing reports until we get an actually confirmed answer by a couple of people that things are back to normal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racyrick said:

Seems like we read the same posts, but no one who said their transfer was not instant and would be deposited at 2pm have yet to confirm it was and had the FTT coding.

I did see 2 or 3 people say that they did a transfer this morning that was instant indicating the issue is still there.

Very confusing reports until we get an actually confirmed answer by a couple of people that things are back to normal.

One guy posted it settled 2pm as International, used "long term stay"

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, racyrick said:

When did you do your transfer?

Got email "Transfer sent"  10am BKK time today,  email "Money received" 1AM BKK time today.

Transfer from an Australian bank.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

I arranged a small transfer with Wise after the support person said they flagged my account for transfer to Bangkok Bank. The transfer is expected to arrive in 6 hours and that is in keeping with previous transfers that are labeled as FTT.

The 4 previous transfers that arrived labeled as domestic took only a few seconds.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. Lets just hope it is not a freight train.

So, did it arrive with FTT coding?

1 hour ago, Pib said:

So, did it arrive with FTT coding?

Online banking shows "International Transfer". I have not updated my passbook yet but that really is not important.

Before people go jumping off the deep end they need to remember that Wise support flagged my individual account to go through Bangkok Bank after the problem started. This transfer was not necessarily a foreign transaction because I selected 'funds for long stay in Thailand'. In fact as @Pib has pointed out, having your account flagged to go to Bangkok Bank as FTT might become a problem if you need an instant transfer of funds.

I have other ways to obtain instant cash in Thailand so for me this is not a problem. I use the Bangkok Bank account for transfers in and out of Thailand and to hold larger balances. I have a secondary bank account that I use for ATM withdrawals and online shopping and I keep a low balance in that account. Everyone has their own way of organizing their finances. One size does not fit all.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in the next week or so. I'm still of the mind that this is a computer problem Wise is having. Fixing a systemic problem in a large global computer network is not always easy.

Also note: The account I am depositing into is Bangkok Bank. If you flag the Wise account to go to Bangkok Bank and the last leg of the transfer is to K-Bank or SCB and others it will likely show as domestic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Online banking shows "International Transfer". I have not updated my passbook yet but that really is not important.

Before people go jumping off the deep end they need to remember that Wise support flagged my individual account to go through Bangkok Bank after the problem started. This transfer was not necessarily a foreign transaction because I selected 'funds for long stay in Thailand'. In fact as @Pib has pointed out, having your account flagged to go to Bangkok Bank as FTT might become a problem if you need an instant transfer of funds.

I have other ways to obtain instant cash in Thailand so for me this is not a problem. I use the Bangkok Bank account for transfers in and out of Thailand and to hold larger balances. I have a secondary bank account that I use for ATM withdrawals and online shopping and I keep a low balance in that account. Everyone has their own way of organizing their finances. One size does not fit all.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in the next week or so. I'm still of the mind that this is a computer problem Wise is having. Fixing a systemic problem in a large global computer network is not always easy.

Also note: The account I am depositing into is Bangkok Bank. If you flag the Wise account to go to Bangkok Bank and the last leg of the transfer is to K-Bank or SCB and others it will likely show as domestic.

Thanks for the update. Everything still seems to be very uncertain as there have been posts of people saying they are still getting instant transfers today and others saying it was back to normal with Bangkok Bank. Still hit or miss with no rhyme or reason. Scary as to what decision to make in regards to doing a transfer. Hopefully more people will let us know either what WISE said or is doing about the situation or if they are still having a problem with their transfers.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

The passbook will reflect FTT with that International Transfer description showing on your online banking.

• Like 1

I opened a Bangkok Bank account today as I wasn't happy with SCB.  I just did a $100 USD Wise transfer tonight (Oct 12 @ 1830) as a test run, I paid using the ACH option and chose the "long term stay in Thailand" reason, the money was in my BB account in about a minute.  When I checked my Wise account on my iPhone it shows "Delivered via; Local Bank Transfer".  I'll update my bank book tomorrow but it's not looking like I'll get the FTT code ????

6 minutes ago, bbko said:

I opened a Bangkok Bank account today as I wasn't happy with SCB.  I just did a $100 USD Wise transfer tonight (Oct 12 @ 1830) as a test run, I paid using the ACH option and chose the "long term stay in Thailand" reason, the money was in my BB account in about a minute.  When I checked my Wise account on my iPhone it shows "Delivered via; Local Bank Transfer".  I'll update my bank book tomorrow but it's not looking like I'll get the FTT code ????

Check your Wise PDF Receipt for the transfer to see which Thai partner bank was used.  I'll guess it was K-bank.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Check your Wise PDF Receipt for the transfer to see which Thai partner bank was used.  I'll guess it was K-bank.

Correct, Banking partner Kasikorn. 

Edit: I just sent another $100 USD, this time not using the ACH option and paid with my US based debit card, I should get something in the next 30 minutes.

Edited by bbko

17 minutes ago, bbko said:

Unfortunately, it will not be coded FTT.

When a transfer is done almost instantly, it means it did not go directly to Bangkok Bank and another bank was used in the transfer. Only those transfers that get credited to your BKK account at about 2pm will be coded FTT.

You should call WISE like many of us has done to tell them your issue and see why this happened and if they are fixing the issue.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pib said:

The passbook will reflect FTT with that International Transfer description showing on your online banking.

It is easier for me to log into BBK online than it is to find a BBK ATM site and if it show up as in international transfer then the bank book will show as FTT.

My next transfer will be on Friday afternoon.

22 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Unfortunately, it will not be coded FTT.

When a transfer is done almost instantly, it means it did not go directly to Bangkok Bank and another bank was used in the transfer. Only those transfers that get credited to your BKK account at about 2pm will be coded FTT.

You should call WISE like many of us has done to tell them your issue and see why this happened and if they are fixing the issue.

yes a couple of years or so ago when this issue first arose Wise ( Transferwise as was then ) specifically said that they had addressed the problem with  the reason for stay as long term showing which we all know about and also that my account had been "tagged". They elaborated and said as was tagged transfers to Bangkok bank would now be shown as Foreign Transfer. Now I have no idea what they mean by tagged but I have never had a problem including today.. As @racyrick has suggested then calling WISE should resolve the problem and maybe being "tagged" will ensure an auto process command to show a transfer as FTT, but only guessing.

Edited by Excel

1 minute ago, Excel said:

yes a couple of years or so ago when this issue first arose Wise ( Transferwise as was then ) specifically said that they had addressed the problem with  the reason for stay as long term showing which we all know about and also that my account had been "tagged". The elaborated and said as was tagged transfers to Bangkok bank would now be shown as Foreign Transfer. Now I have no idea what they mean by tagged but I have never ad a problem including today.. As @racyrick has suggested then calling WISE should resolve the problem and maybe being "tagged" will ensure an auto process command to show a transfer as FTT, but only guessing.

Tagged means Wise will use Bangkok Bank as their partner bank.  This is important if sending to a Bangkok Bank acct as this will then result in International Transfer/FTT coding on your Bangkok Bank acct.    However, if your receiving bank is not Bangkok Bank (i.e., some other Thai bank) then your transfer will first still go to Bangkok Bank as the Wise partner bank (since its been tagged to do such) and then Bangkok Bank will relay it to your other Thai bank which results in domestic transfer coding at the other Thai bank...not international transfer coding.

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

yes a couple of years or so ago when this issue first arose Wise ( Transferwise as was then ) specifically said that they had addressed the problem with  the reason for stay as long term showing which we all know about and also that my account had been "tagged". They elaborated and said as was tagged transfers to Bangkok bank would now be shown as Foreign Transfer. Now I have no idea what they mean by tagged but I have never had a problem including today.. As @racyrick has suggested then calling WISE should resolve the problem and maybe being "tagged" will ensure an auto process command to show a transfer as FTT, but only guessing.

So I assume you made a successful transfer today to BKK, is that correct?

Did you use the Long Term Stay option and Debit ACH? Thanks and glad all went well with your transfer

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Tagged means Wise will use Bangkok Bank as their partner bank.  This is important if sending to a Bangkok Bank acct as this will then result in International Transfer/FTT coding on your Bangkok Bank acct.    However, if your receiving bank is not Bangkok Bank (i.e., some other Thai bank) then your transfer will first still go to Bangkok Bank as the Wise partner bank (since its been tagged to do such) and then Bangkok Bank will relay it to your other Thai bank which results in domestic transfer coding at the other Thai bank...not international transfer coding.

Didn't you post earlier that you also did the tag thing a couple of years ago but your transfer yesterday or 2 days ago did not come thru as FTT and was instant?