Only fully vaccinated or COVID-19 negative passengers allowed to take flights in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

So they think tourists are going to want to waste two days of finagling and minimum b2400 1 pax  to get atk fit to fly?

* 4 taki rides, 2 b800 atk tests with certificate

It's just stupid - there's no other way to describe this nation any longer.

Guaranteed some mafia owns the PCR machines and  sole conduit for atk tests.

• Like 1

Well 7 days ago i  went from surat to Bangkok and back again with vietair  no covid test and i was then not fully vaccinated it says on their web site must be vaccinated or have a test so went to airport 3 times and asked but 3 differant people they all said I dont need anything. And they were all right I wasnt even asked going or coming back to show anything. Yet when I asked at the smile desk they said needed so not all airlines are doing the same 

1 hour ago, malthebluff said:

Well 7 days ago i  went from surat to Bangkok and back again with vietair  no covid test and i was then not fully vaccinated it says on their web site must be vaccinated or have a test so went to airport 3 times and asked but 3 differant people they all said I dont need anything. And they were all right I wasnt even asked going or coming back to show anything. Yet when I asked at the smile desk they said needed so not all airlines are doing the same 

Thanks... So I'll fly Vietjet, they have the best price anyway ????

This article is misleading.

As of now you can get on any airline here in Thailand and fly domestically without being vaccinated.

But you will need to take an ATK test and quarantine upon arrival.  

The test is being administered free by the MOPH. 

Not sure why they are only testing the unvaccinated individuals being that the vaccinated can also spread and infect. 

Edited by lucky2008
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lucky2008 said:

As of now you can get on any airline here in Thailand and fly domestically without being vaccinated.

The test is being administered free by the MOPH. 

Not sure why they are only testing the unvaccinated individuals being that the vaccinated can also spread and infect. 

Guess you'll be at home hiding under your bed.  LOL

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/airasia-will-only-accept-fully-vaccinated-guests-on-its-flights

Travel Advisory: AirAsia will only accept fully-vaccinated guests on its flights

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, statman78 said:

Even though it wasn’t required, a few weeks ago I flew from Bangkok to Chiang Rai.  My US CDC card was accepted at check in and when I arrived in Chiang Rai.

They were checking your vaccination status at BOTH departure and arrival for your domestic flight???

And if "it wasn't required," why were they checking or did the issue even come up?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 10/10/2021 at 1:12 PM, khunPer said:

It's little contradictory. because we ofte read that even you are vaccinated you can still carry and spread the virus, but you won't get seriously sick, or not sick at all. So if that is correct, then being vaccinated is no guarantee for not spreading the virus.

The current vaccines make it less likely that a fully vaccinated person can contract COVID, and are believed to make them less likely to spread the virus, if they do become infected, (by virtue of having lower viral loads and shorter duration).

But fully vaccinated people are by no means assured of being incapable of contracting and potentially spreading the virus. Which is among the reasons that even fully vaccinated people are encouraged / required to continue wearing face masks and following various other preventive measures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 2:28 PM, Lingba said:

and I have the J&J vaccine which is not recognized?...why?...it is everywhere else...<deleted> Them!

The OP article appears to be saying they'll accept a single J&J dose, which is an approved vaccine in Thailand (though the article's wording on that isn't so great).

The exception the article's talking about isn't an exception to being accepted, but rather, an exception being J&J is a single dose unlike all the other two-dose regimens.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:35 PM, robblok said:

Maybe its the difference between big and small countries ? I mean maybe its just hard for the US because of state laws and privacy to get something like that in a database.

'When you get a COVID-19 shot, the information goes into a digital record kept by the state where it was administered, and that’s the end of the road. The CDC does not hold records of individual vaccinations, and the White House has indicated that it has no plans for a federal database."

"On the flimsy rectangle that all Americans get with their shots, doctors and pharmacists record dates of administration, vaccine type, and lot number. Some scrawl the information by hand with a pen; others apply a preprinted sticker. The cards offer no special marker to prove their authenticity, no scannable code to connect to a digital record. At three by four inches, they’re even too awkwardly sized to fit in a wallet. A mid-century polio-vaccine card doesn’t look too different from today’s COVID-19 vaccination records."

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/05/america-covid-vaccine-honor-system/618891/

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Guess you'll be at home hiding under your bed.  LOL

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/airasia-will-only-accept-fully-vaccinated-guests-on-its-flights

Travel Advisory: AirAsia will only accept fully-vaccinated guests on its flights

That link appears to relate to AA's Malaysia operation... Don't see any mention of Thailand domestic flights in that... though TH's apparently going to end up in the same/similar place. Thai AirAsia's domestic flights are coded FD, not AK as listed for Malaysia below.

Your link:

"In preparation for the full resumption of its domestic and subsequently international flight services, AirAsia Malaysia (flight code AK) has made it mandatory for only completely vaccinated adult guests to be allowed to board its flights, effective immediately."

My link per Thai Air Asia (company news release):

https://hub.optiwise.io/en/documents/32621/6443705F1AD3C6382A43725E1ADAC538670F75281CDBC53A6744075719ADB34E6E457A2B1FA9C43C624676571AAECD4A67476C1E4E8DCF3B66437A5C1AD9C43961437B5F1ADBCC3963366C1E4E8D_300820211709100915E.pdf

Screenshot_10.jpg.9f57cbf6c81fb04efe8c127876e2e3c2.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

The OP article seems pretty clear to me, and not inconsistent with your post. Note the use of the word "OR" in the first sentence.

From the OP report:

"People wishing to take a flight in Thailand will need to be fully vaccinated or provide a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours before they are due to fly, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has confirmed.

'Fully vaccinated' is deemed as having received two doses of a vaccine approved for use in Thailand, with the exception of the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. 

For those who are not fully vaccinated, they will need to show a negative test result from either an ATK or PCR test no more than 72 hours before flying."

The question I have -- and it's not even addressed in the OP article -- is to whatever extent these rules as listed above are either going to be nationwide OR (as is often the case with Thailand) selectively and varyingly enforced from place to place (airport to airport)....  Yeesh!!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That link appears to relate to AA's Malaysia operation... Don't see any mention of Thailand domestic flights in that... though TH's apparently going to end up in the same/similar place. Thai AirAsia's flights are coded FD, not AK as listed for Malaysia below.

Your link:

"In preparation for the full resumption of its domestic and subsequently international flight services, AirAsia Malaysia (flight code AK) has made it mandatory for only completely vaccinated adult guests to be allowed to board its flights, effective immediately."

My link per Thai Air Asia (company news release):

https://hub.optiwise.io/en/documents/32621/6443705F1AD3C6382A43725E1ADAC538670F75281CDBC53A6744075719ADB34E6E457A2B1FA9C43C624676571AAECD4A67476C1E4E8DCF3B66437A5C1AD9C43961437B5F1ADBCC3963366C1E4E8D_300820211709100915E.pdf

Screenshot_10.jpg.9f57cbf6c81fb04efe8c127876e2e3c2.jpg

Good catch!  Another member here said an airline was already requiring vaccines. But I can't find the post.

Singapore Airlines has VTL now setup. No vaccine. No flying on that flight. Including ones to Thailand.

The unvaccinated will soon be like lepers. As they should be.

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Singapore Airlines has VTL now setup. No vaccine. No flying on that flight. Including ones to Thailand.

Is Sing Air allowing the pre-flight test alternative?  (I don't mean on that one special category of VTL flights, but rather, their flights at large...)

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is Sing Air allowing the pre-flight test alternative?  (I don't mean on that one special category of VTL flights, but rather, their flights at large...)

I'm following a guy on the Phuket Sandbox Facebook group. Seems he's having problems with this flight. A QR code is required and most states in the USA don't do this. The nutters are stopping a digital certificate as an Invasion of privacy. So far. Doesn't seem like a test is ok. Just a jab. They seem to be trying to market to the majority of us who are either vaccinated or want to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP article appears to be saying they'll accept a single J&J dose, which is an approved vaccine in Thailand (though the article's wording on that isn't so great).

The exception the article's talking about isn't an exception to being accepted, but rather, an exception being J&J is a single dose unlike all the other two-dose regimens.

which means what?...are they accepting the single dose JJ or not?

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP article seems pretty clear to me, and not inconsistent with your post. Note the use of the word "OR" in the first sentence.

From the OP report:

"People wishing to take a flight in Thailand will need to be fully vaccinated or provide a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 72 hours before they are due to fly, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has confirmed.

'Fully vaccinated' is deemed as having received two doses of a vaccine approved for use in Thailand, with the exception of the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. 

For those who are not fully vaccinated, they will need to show a negative test result from either an ATK or PCR test no more than 72 hours before flying."

The question I have -- and it's not even addressed in the OP article -- is to whatever extent these rules as listed above are either going to be nationwide OR (as is often the case with Thailand) selectively and varyingly enforced from place to place (airport to airport)....  Yeesh!!!!

Well, I know firsthand that they are allowing folks to fly who are unvaccinated without an ATK or PCR test more than 72 hours before flying. 

I just flew from BKK-CNX with ThaiSmile and I was tested upon arrival and asked to quarantine for 14 days.  

Before I bought the ticket I made sure to ask several airlines in person if they were going to let me on the plane. They all said the same thing, it's not the airline that's requiring the test it's the province that they're flying into. 

Unless things have changed in the past 72 hours, the article is inconsistent with what's really happening on the ground. 

I will ask wife's sister later and find out if something has changed. She's a ticketing agent for Bangkok Airways and should be able to clarify what's going on.  

• Thanks 1

I flew last weekend from Bangkok to Chiangmai. At check-in at DMK was asked for my vaccine certificate, and there was a QR code to fill in details for Chiangmai like my hotel, etc. On arrival at CNX, only checked that I had completed the form. This is going from red zone to green zone. 

On the return, no checks or QR code, form filling necessary.

Not much inconvenience at all. 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:25 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They were checking your vaccination status at BOTH departure and arrival for your domestic flight???

And if "it wasn't required," why were they checking or did the issue even come up?

At the time it wasn’t required for flying but in order to avoid quarantine upon arrive in Chiang Rai I needed either a negative Covid test or be fully vaccinated.  I fly between Chiang Rai and Bangkok almost on a monthly basis.  In August I only had to show that I was vaccinated when I arrived in Chiang Rai.  Last month Thai Smile asked to see a negative test or a vaccine certificate while checking in.  They also had me scan. QR code which took me to a site where I needed to fill out a form for the Chiang Rai officials.  Half of the form was in English but there were some drop down boxes that only had Thai options.  In Chiang Rai they helped fill out the form which basically tells them where I came from and where I’m staying.  They then checked my vaccine certificate which is a card issued by the US CDC.

This Friday I’m flying back to Chiang Rai so I expect I need to fill out the same online form.  Thai Smile sent me an email that has all of the QR code’s for the different provinces.  This time I’m prepared.  My wife showed me which options I need to select in the drop down boxes.  As long as they don’t change the order of the options I’m set ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:18 AM, bbko said:

FWIW, I was in my local Topps supermarket last night and there at the check-out counter they were selling these take home ATK kits for 99b. But it said for SARS CoV-2 ????

https://www.tops.co.th/th/getein-antigen-rapid-test-kit-test-1pcs-6954414701579

"Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‑CoV‑2),[2] also known as the coronavirus, is the virus that causes COVID-19"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome_coronavirus_2#:~:text=On 11 February 2020%2C,CoV-2).

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, statman78 said:

Thai Smile sent me an email that has all of the QR code’s for the different provinces.

Any chance you could post the pertinent QR code for Bangkok via reply here?  I've got a wife making a return flight to BKK soon, and am struggling to figure out the requirements.