AstraZeneca drug cocktail succeeds in late-stage study to treat COVID-19

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-38.png

AstraZeneca has requested emergency approval from U.S. regulators for its antibody cocktail, the first protective shot other than vaccines against COVID-19, another potential major step in the global fight to combat the virus.

While vaccines rely on an intact immune system to develop targeted antibodies and infection-fighting cells, Astra’s biotech compound known as AZD7442 contains lab-made antibodies designed to linger in the body for months to contain the virus in case of an infection.

COVID-19 therapies based on the same class of monoclonal antibodies are sold by rivals Regeneron, Eli Lilly, and GlaxoSmithKline and its partner Vir to stop the disease from worsening during early, milder stages of the infection.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/astrazeneca-drug-cocktail-succeeds-in-late-stage-study-to-treat-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Going for my 2nd AZ this month, 1st time around no symptoms at all.

From what I hear more seem to have a reaction to the 2nd jab... but that is Thais whose first was Sinovax, so perhaps different. My Mrs was fine.. my neighbour's wife in bed all day....(mind you she spends all night on Tik-Tok whatever that is!)

Several times from March through at least May, AstraSeneca put out press releases saying they would seek approval for its vaccine in the US in a "week or two"....but they never submitted the application for even emergency approval.  If Cansiam's comments above prove to be true, it would seem that AstraSeneca has at least recently asked for the approval (although the article talks about something other than the Astra vaccine itself).

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

But this shot injects antibodies into you bypassing all that.

Have had three friends back in Michigan who have had breakthrough cases and antibody infusion treatments in the last 6 weeks.......so some company (unknown to me) has had their antibody cocktail approved for at least emergency use for some time now in the US.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Have had three friends back in Michigan who have had breakthrough cases and antibody infusion treatments in the last 6 weeks.......so some company (unknown to me) has had their antibody cocktail approved for at least emergency use for some time now in the US.

Monoclonal antibodies and other therapies are proving to keep people out of the hospital, and (from what I'm hearing from infected friends in the US), using either of these has them almost 100% better in 3 days. However, it does take longer if not caught early. Florida is using these therapies all over the state
Covid cases have drastically reduced in FL.

While at least 7 of my vaccinated friends/family members in the states ended up in hospital from covid.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my personal experience. Not trying to change anyone else's opinions here.

45 minutes ago, Denim said:

No you didn't. 

You had the AZ vaccine. This article is about something different. This is about a shot of antibodies.

Completely different approach.

I see. No idea about those two. All i know is I got the jab and the vaccine ID is now reflecting it as a booster shot (3rd vaccine jab). The first two were Sinovac.

295252477_IMG_0216(1).thumb.jpg.37e4fdb068ed69bd04bb914275355acf.jpg

Edited by mvdf

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Had my 2nd AZ two weeks ago, no symptoms, minor chills on the first.. 

Who's butt do I have to kiss to get two AZ vaccines as I can only get  where I live?

The other one in Chinovac. Even if I offer to pay for them they won't do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mvdf said:

I just had this AZ shot yesterday. Feeling sick and feverish since last night. Pain in all 4 limbs and headache.

Sorry for that, Pfiser I had and no problems only bad stomach for 1 day with  both shots.

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Who's butt do I have to kiss to get two AZ vaccines as I can only get  where I live?

Not ask on here about kissing someone’s butt the whole system will now go into meltdown

• Like 1

I fled BKK months ago and got AZ X 2 in Phuket, now back in BKK, sounds like you may need to leave your area, I  would try to avoid getting Sinovac the first time.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

3 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

I fled BKK months ago and got AZ X 2 in Phuket, now back in BKK, sounds like you may need to leave your area, I  would try to avoid getting Sinovac the first time.........

It can vary greatly from province to province as to which vaccine is most given.  For example, below are some snapshots from the Ministry of Public Health as of 11 Oct 2021 showing the number of jabs by vaccine for Bangkok, Khon Kaen, and Chiang Mai,

Bangkok...mostly AstraZeneca given

image.png.55c603a6e98b720e8b4a2f3aa3724f03.png

Khon Kaen---Sinovac the most given

image.png.6b71cb5750d535683fb5718be3c5585d.png

Chiang Mai....Sinovac the most given

image.png.3c53774f47748a7ae2347b004ef2a0e7.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

It can vary greatly from province to province as to which vaccine is most given.  For example, below are some snapshots from the Ministry of Public Health as of 11 Oct 2021 showing the number of jabs by vaccine for Bangkok, Khon Kaen, and Chiang Mai,

Bangkok...mostly AstraZeneca given

image.png.55c603a6e98b720e8b4a2f3aa3724f03.png

Khon Kaen---Sinovac the most given

image.png.6b71cb5750d535683fb5718be3c5585d.png

Chiang Mai....Sinovac the most given

image.png.3c53774f47748a7ae2347b004ef2a0e7.png

Today they are giving Sinovac first than Pfizer a few weeks later  but you have to be a student. They say they have a system but what kind of system? There is a lot of old people where I live that can't make it to the hospital. Why can't they send people to their houses and vaccinate them at home? It doesn't make much sense.

6 hours ago, CMBob said:
7 hours ago, rwill said:

But this shot injects antibodies into you bypassing all that.

The other ones are given through an IV.  This is (will be) the first oral one.

33 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Today they are giving Sinovac first than Pfizer a few weeks later  but you have to be a student. They say they have a system but what kind of system? There is a lot of old people where I live that can't make it to the hospital. Why can't they send people to their houses and vaccinate them at home? It doesn't make much sense.

Heck, the govt is having a hard enough time in keeping the vaccination centers/points manned with enough personnel to give jabs and also till this day having enough vaccine on-hand at some places.  I've been to several of these vaccination centers/points with family/friends when they were getting their jab....and it can be somewhat of a madhouse with all the people there.  And there are plenty of old folks getting their getting jabs at these vaccination centers/points.  It's a lot more than just "poking the person in the arm" as paperwork has to be done before and after the jab, IT databases updated, medical personal on standby for folks who have an immediate reaction to a jab, etc.    

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

Heck, the govt is having a hard enough time in keeping the vaccination centers/points manned with enough personnel to give jabs and also till this day having enough vaccine on-hand at some places.  I've been to several of these vaccination centers/points with family/friends when they were getting their jab....and it can be somewhat of a madhouse with all the people there.  And there are plenty of old folks getting their getting jabs at these vaccination centers/points.  It's a lot more than just "poking the person in the arm" as paperwork has to be done before and after the jab, IT databases updated, medical personal on standby for folks who have an immediate reaction to a jab, etc.    

I disagree with your statement as I had many vaccines in my days. I got most when I went into the service. About 6 or 7 in one day ,sure my arms were sore but no one said sit down for a half hour after I got the jabs. My point is why are they making such a big deal after 1 jab? The paperwork they can do anytime. In my small town people are waiting most of the day there with a good chance of catching the virus while you wait.

54 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I disagree with your statement as I had many vaccines in my days. I got most when I went into the service. About 6 or 7 in one day ,sure my arms were sore but no one said sit down for a half hour after I got the jabs. My point is why are they making such a big deal after 1 jab? The paperwork they can do anytime. In my small town people are waiting most of the day there with a good chance of catching the virus while you wait.

In UK after mRNA they ask you to sit in the vaccine centre 15 minutes..with astra, now no. I think some people can drop like a fly ..that one in 50 million having a severe reaction to mRNA vaccines etc...

Yeap...in my decades in the military service (especially during basic training) I also got many jabs and usually I was released immediately or just told to hang around for 15 minutes to make sure there is no immediate side effect.  But almost all military folks will be in their late teens to upper forties except those senior officers that can hang around a little longer and be in good physical condition.  

But for a civilian population of young, middle age, and old people in all various states of health from good health to poor health its a different story.  Plus, in Thailand it seems they practice "conservative medicine"...don't want to take too many chances. 

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Going for my 2nd AZ this month, 1st time around no symptoms at all.

I had a slight reaction after the 1st jag and the symptoms lasted until midday the next day. 2nd jag, no reaction at all.

• Like 1