Undesirable color of flowers for Thai people

EricTh

What are the flowers that are taboo for Thai people to look at? I heard that white flowers are for funerals and shouldn't be given to anyone except in a funeral.

How about yellow flowers that hang from a pot?

• Haha 1

Not really any major taboo colors.  The white funeral bouquets are specially made and are often paper - so real white flowers in a normal display are not a problem.

It's more about having the right mix of colors for the occasion.

For hospital visits, a mix of bright colors; pink, yellow, red.  For relatives, classy, complimentary colors in a nice display, Valentine's is of course all red.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frangipani is taboo to keep around the house as the name 'Lantom' means 'sad' and associated with funeral in many culture but is probably due to the fact that the tree is very sappy, it has since been renamed 'Leelawadee' and often seen planted in many beach resort, the flower also taste good deep fried in batter 

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 6:48 PM, digbeth said:

Frangipani is taboo to keep around the house as the name 'Lantom' means 'sad' and associated with funeral in many culture but is probably due to the fact that the tree is very sappy, it has since been renamed 'Leelawadee' and often seen planted in many beach resort, the flower also taste good deep fried in batter 

Just asked the wife has she ever ate it and she looked at me like I was crazy. She says the flower is poisonous. Also it used to be grown only in wats / cemetery as it can 'absorb the smell of bodies but in recent times has become popular for gardens.

Wiki says

"The Frangipani is, in fact, poisonous, but only if you eat an entire flower will you begin to feel sick. Frangipani possesses a milky sap which is mildly poisonous."

Also read it's poisonous to dogs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Just asked the wife has she ever ate it and she looked at me like I was crazy. She says the flower is poisonous. Also it used to be grown only in wats / cemetery as it can 'absorb the smell of bodies but in recent times has become popular for gardens.

Wiki says

"The Frangipani is, in fact, poisonous, but only if you eat an entire flower will you begin to feel sick. Frangipani possesses a milky sap which is mildly poisonous."

You have to wait until the flower falls from the tree,i have had it a lot,fried.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Wiki says

Many of these older legendary notions regarding Plumeria have withered, where these species [and the numerous varieties] have found an appreciated place in most everyone's gardens and properties - not exclusive to Wats. 

One will find increasing growth of Farangipani hybrid farms that develop cross-bred varieties for homes and commercial properties.