Visit to UK - Christmas

Dear All,

I know many of these points have been raised and discussed before but not being very computer literate to find them I hope you will forgive me.

Following the changes in UK entry and quarantine and the proposed changes to Thai quarantine, I am now planning to go to the UK for Christmas and to see family.  I am trying to check that I am preparing everything to get back to Thailand easily.

My circumstances:

1. UK citizen 71 years old

2. Married [legally in Thailand with all documents] to Thai and have been for many years

3. On a Non-O extension based on marriage expiring March 2022 with 400k in bank

4. Two dose vaccinated for Covid in Thailand [Pfizer vaccine] and have certificate

My questions are:

1. My Thai vaccination certificate will be valid for return to Thailand

2. My Non-O extension [I will get a Re-Entry permit before I go] will be accepted for a CoE

3. If I return on, for example, the 12th January what insurances will I need and where can I get them and for what period?

4. I will renew my passport while in UK - will both new and old be accepted by Immigration?

5. I will be in the UK for approximately 3 weeks.  Is this enough to get CoE etc?

Thank you for any advice and comments.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For 1,2,4 and 5 the answer is yes.

3. At this time you would need covid 19 insurance valid to the day your re-entry permit expires in March of 2022. Site for it is here: https://covid19.tgia.org/

Here is what it says when I go onto this site

Warning

Insurance policy to protect entering Thailand During this epidemic situation of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), persons who can apply for insurance (Covid 19 Infectious Disease Protection 100,000 USD) are as follows: is a requirement for inbound travelers to Thailand only.

It is not intended for foreigners currently living in Thailand.

1. Foreigners who wish to enter Thailand (use COE submission)

2. In the case of foreigners wishing to renew the insurance policy

3. Thai people who wish to return to Thailand and the insurance protection against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is required by the government regulation.

(Foreigners and Thai residents in Thailand cannot purchase insurance)

2 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

What about "this insurance policy is not intended for foreigners and Thai nationals who currently live in Thailand"???

1362379670_Screenshot2021-10-13at08_35_24.png.f9faa8ac00e88a88038f9b3f05bfd1e6.png

This is my assumption as to what is going on. They want to stop people who have recently contracted Covid-19 in Thailand from immediately buying Covid-19 insurance, thus allowing them to get the best available treatment with the insurance company picking up the tab. If I am correct, there will be no problem if you are applying while outside Thailand, and required to show a negative test result before being allowed to travel to Thailand.

• Like 1

I renewed my passport whilst stuck in The UK last year.  At that time, there was no option for a visit to the passport office, only by post; no doubt due to the covid situation.

I suggest you check before you go because 3 weeks probably won't be long enough for a postal application.

• Like 1

I re newed my passport just before the whole thing took off ..C 19 and shutdown.Booked on line /internet appointment at Victoria PP office for 11-00 am on the Monday morning following day of arrival on the Sunday from Thailand .Stayed at a local Airport hotel. Picked up an application form at Heathrow Post Office,filled it in and presented at designated time in said PP office ....They have photo-me  machines if needed. Then off for coffee and biscuits in Spoons Pub opposite.Got my new 10 year supersized passport around 4 pm same day..Expires in 2029...

Edited by Rinrada
spelling

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What's the current quarantine for vaccinated (AZ) Brits returning to the UK from Thailand? 

None.  Just a pre-booked test within 2 days of arrival.  Note this is for England, the other lot may have different requirements.

Edited by Upnotover
addition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

What's the current quarantine for vaccinated (AZ) Brits returning to the UK from Thailand? 

None.  Just a pre-booked test within 2 days of arrival.  Note this is for England, the other lot may have different requirements.

Yeah that's not correct.  It depends on your vaccination status, and which vaccines you had.

If not 2xPfizer or 2xAZ  then you need to self quarantine for at least 5 days, with another 'test to release' to end the quarantine early after 5 days.    This is home quarantine though so I don't know how strict the checks are on this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19 

2 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Yeah that's not correct.  It depends on your vaccination status, and which vaccines you had.

If not 2xPfizer or 2xAZ  then you need to self quarantine for at least 5 days, with another 'test to release' to end the quarantine early after 5 days.    This is home quarantine though so I don't know how strict the checks are on this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19 

"for vaccinated (AZ) Brits returning"

Well I was replying to the question that had been asked rather than entering into some general advice chatter.

Approved vaccines

You must have had a complete course of one of the following vaccines at least 14 days before you arrive in England:

• Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer BioNTech
  • Moderna
  • Janssen

The day you have your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

Formulations of these vaccines, such as AstraZeneca Covishield, AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and Moderna Takeda, also qualify as approved vaccine.