Help weighing 20 year Elite Visa vs. marriage visa with 20 annual extensions

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

With the elite visa you have to apply for an extension every year at immigration and pay 1900, just as if you applied for a marriage extension. You just don't need any money seasoned and fewer documents.

What a big misunderstanding on my part. So I guess the freedom from 90 day reporting and not having to keep 400,000 baht tied up in the bank are the main benefits for someone who is married to a Thai anyway. Along with freedom from the risks that the marriage visa extension requirements could become inflated. But it sounds like if the government for reasons of corruption wants to turn Sinovac or Sinopharm boosters into an ongoing cash cow for bribes from the CCP, for example, to keep ordering more of them every year, then it's likely that having an elite visa wouldn't spare me from being forced to get the booster every year in order to get the extension when I pay the 1900 baht. (That may sound like tinfoil hat thinking but there's almost nothing I wouldn't put past this government at this point.) I doubt I'd be able to get exempted for having an autoimmune disease (not like they care if they kill me IMO).

Edited by wml22

5 minutes ago, wprime said:

Elite visa is 1 year, extended each year.

When you pay 1,900 to extend an elite visa each year, is it an unlimited multi-entry extension (e.g. I'm free to go back to the U.S. and come back into Thailand every month if I want, theoretically)? Because I think for the marriage visa extension to be multi-entry, it's 3,800 or 5,000 baht or something like that and maybe it's not unlimited exits and entries?

With the elite visa being 1 year, extended every year, what are you actually purchasing when you buy the 20 year package? Are you purchasing a guarantee that they will grant 19 annual extensions without having to pay any additional fees aside from the 1,900 baht?

19 minutes ago, wml22 said:

What a big misunderstanding on my part. So I guess the freedom from 90 day reporting and not having to keep 400,000 baht tied up in the bank are the main benefits for someone who is married to a Thai anyway. Along with freedom from the risks that the marriage visa extension requirements could become inflated. But it sounds like if the government for reasons of corruption wants to turn Sinovac or Sinopharm boosters into an ongoing cash cow for bribes from the CCP, for example, to keep ordering more of them every year, then it's likely that having an elite visa wouldn't spare me from being forced to get the booster every year in order to get the extension when I pay the 1900 baht. (That may sound like tinfoil hat thinking but there's almost nothing I wouldn't put past this government at this point.) I doubt I'd be able to get exempted for having an autoimmune disease (not like they care if they kill me IMO).

There's no freedom from 90 day reporting. Even with the Elite visa, you still need to do them. They have an office that'll do them free for you in Bangkok/Pattaya and maybe a few other cities. Elite is targeted towards people who are frequent travellers and usually don't stay in Thailand a full year, your one year is renewed with every entry. It doesn't protect you otherwise from any potential future requirements as we saw that people with Elite visas were having almost as much trouble returning to Thailand when the borders were closed and restrictions were more strict.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wml22 said:

When you pay 1,900 to extend an elite visa each year, is it an unlimited multi-entry extension (e.g. I'm free to go back to the U.S. and come back into Thailand every month if I want, theoretically)? Because I think for the marriage visa extension to be multi-entry, it's 3,800 or 5,000 baht or something like that and maybe it's not unlimited exits and entries?

Yes it's unlimited entries, and you get one year each time. Obviously this was more appealing before COVID and all its restrictions. But yes, with the 20 year Elite visa, you are guaranteed unlimited entries for the full term you pay for. Of course, it's always subject to change at their discretion which it states in their terms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ohyesuare said:

Yes it's unlimited entries, and you get one year each time. Obviously this was more appealing before COVID and all its restrictions. But yes, with the 20 year Elite visa, you are guaranteed unlimited entries for the full term you pay for. Of course, it's always subject to change at their discretion which it states in their terms.

To make sure I understand, that means there are two circumstances for activating the 1-year extension:

1) I buy in Jan. 2022. I leave Thailand to visit folks in the U.S. on June 1st and return on July 1st. When I land at the airport, I am given a 1 year extension stamp at the airport (cost: 1,900 baht) and my new expiration is July 2023. Perk of this activation method, of entry into Thailand, is that I don't have to go to the immigration office.

2) That means to not overstay, if I don't travel again, I must go to immigration in June 2023 and manually apply at immigration for the 1 year extension (cost: 1,900 baht) and my new expiration is July 2024.

So I'm actually paying 1,900 baht every time that I come into Thailand, but each of those instances extends the visa out +12 months. It means though that if I exit and re-enter Thailand 10 times in one year, I pay 19,000 baht for what is effectively just a 1-year extension, because I'm paying for the extension every time I enter?

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Hope this is not dismissive but personally I think you are worrying prematurely.

Also no need to get married.

If you can place 800k in a Thai bank and just leave it, then do annual extensions based on retirement. 

True vaccinations may become required for some jobs but really that's of no concern to you.

Re multiple reentry permit they are 3800baht and unlimited entries.

My vote goes to annual extensions from a non O based on retirement.

Personally I would choose that option even if I was married.

Chill.....

I wish that was an option but I'm not old enough to qualify for the retirement visa. I should have clarified that in the first post.

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Covid 19 vaccination is not compulsory in Thailand, therefor it stands to reason it will not be compulsory to be vaccinated to obtain an extension. There certainly has been no official indication of this.

Besides, as you have a medical condition that makes vaccination inadvisable, get yourself a medical exemption certificate. That should fix it.

I really don't think you need be concerned about this.

I didn't know a medical exemption certificate could be a possibility here. Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

My only comment on this is I would not be giving 1 mil.baht for anything on a 20 yr deal in this country.

The Givt and regs are quicksand, can and often do change rapidly. Far too unstable. (IMHO)

As for the "marriage" base, thats entirely dependent on the wife, anything happens to her or your relationship and thats the end of that.

And it's 1M baht to avoid the possibility of a Sinovac jab. Which may never happen, as 1) jabs are not likely to be needed over the long term, 2) there are other vaccines available. 

11 minutes ago, wml22 said:

So I'm actually paying 1,900 baht every time that I come into Thailand, but each of those instances extends the visa out +12 months. It means though that if I exit and re-enter Thailand 10 times in one year, I pay 19,000 baht for what is effectively just a 1-year extension, because I'm paying for the extension every time I enter?

If you enter Thailand you don't pay 1900THB, the one year stamp when entering the country is "free". Only the extension at an immigration office costs 1900THB.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Wrong. 1900 is only if you stay here until your 1 year permission to stay is expiring and you don't want to leave the country before it does. If you're never staying more than a full consecutive year in the country, you will not have to pay anything more for the full term of your elite visa.

Oh, OK, so to confirm, this is the correct description of how this works:

1) I buy 20 Year Elite visa in Jan. 2022. I have until Jan. 2023 to either (a) leave Thailand and come back in (zero cost or fees, and no visit to immigration required), or (b) go to immigration office and pay 1,900 for an extension to Jan. 2024.

In the case of (a), before Covid and quarantines were going on, could I hypothetically have gone over the land border to Vientiane, Laos for a day shopping trip, and then come back into Thailand over the land border that same evening, and thereby activated a new entry on the Elite Visa - using this method once per year, every year, I would have been able to never pay another baht and stay here for 20 years after paying the 1 million?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DavisH said:

And it's 1M baht to avoid the possibility of a Sinovac jab. Which may never happen, as 1) jabs are not likely to be needed over the long term, 2) there are other vaccines available. 

Per my above post, if in the future land border crossings into Laos and returns from there are possible again, and if those land border crossings are counted as new entries the same as with airplane travel, then it's not really 1M vs. zero. It's a multi-entry visa that costs 0 per year instead of 3,800 per year, and it's also a benefit of having someone do the 90 day reports for me instead of hassling with it myself, and it's also not having the 400,000 baht frozen but instead available for my use.

In that sense, it seems more like I should be comparing the cost of the 600,000 baht difference against the cost of paying 3,800 every year for 20 years.

The main argument against IMO is the risk that they'll just cancel the Elite Visa and steal the value of the unused portion, or otherwise change the terms in a way that makes it become worthless or a bad deal.

EDIT: I want to add, I realize that using a land border crossing at Vientiane would be more expensive when factoring in gas to drive there etc. but was using that as an example for sake of argument. Realistically, it's more likely I'd be getting the free entry 1 year stamp by going back to the U.S. to visit parents and friends once per year.

Edited by wml22

OP, given that you have come up with 127 "what if" scenarios, that may or may not ever happen. Maybe your best approach would be a one year extension that you qualify for. That way you are not invested or committed beyond the next 12 months. You can reassess your position each year if the situation changes. If changes come about, they wont usually apply until next years visa/extension.

Otherwise, why worry or plan for things that may not ever happen ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wml22 said:

With the elite visa being 1 year, extended every year, what are you actually purchasing when you buy the 20 year package? Are you purchasing a guarantee that they will grant 19 annual extensions without having to pay any additional fees aside from the 1,900 baht?

Sorry I meant 1 year stay permissible. The visa itself is 5 years, but only allows for 1 year stay at a time. This 1 year stay can be extended unconditionally up until the visa expires for the 1900 baht each time. If you leave the country, the 1 year starts counting again so you only need to pay the 1900 baht if you stay continuously for 1 year. You need to get a new visa stamp after 5 years. I'm not sure if you need to leave the country for that but I doubt it (I'm only on the 5 year program).

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, given that you have come up with 127 "what if" scenarios, that may or may not ever happen. Maybe your best approach would be a one year extension that you qualify for. That way you are not invested or committed beyond the next 12 months. You can reassess your position each year if the situation changes. If changes come about, they wont usually apply until next years visa/extension.

Otherwise, why worry or plan for things that may not ever happen ?

I think that honestly, I hate going to immigration so much and don't want to be hassled with the 90 day reports, that I'm trying to find a way to justify splurging on the Elite Visa, even though it may be more reckless than a marriage visa due to the risk of the government changing the terms or reneging on the guarantees.

2 minutes ago, wprime said:

Sorry I meant 1 year stay permissible. The visa itself is 5 years, but only allows for 1 year stay at a time. This 1 year stay can be extended unconditionally up until the visa expires for the 1900 baht each time. If you leave the country, the 1 year starts counting again so you only need to pay the 1900 baht if you stay continuously for 1 year. You need to get a new visa stamp after 5 years. I'm not sure if you need to leave the country for that but I doubt it (I'm only on the 5 year program).

Cool, thanks for sharing your knowledge about the process. For the 90 day reports being done by a staff office in Bangkok, instead of having to do them yourself, do you still have to communicate with the staff office every 90 days to confirm that your residence hasn't changed? (And I assume that legally, you're still supposed to also get TM30 forms filed for "registration of alien resident" every time you stay overnight anywhere, although pragmatically this seems unenforceable?) Or is the arrangement with the staff office more hands-off, like you don't have to communicate with them or be involved in the 90 day reporting process at all unless you're notifying them that you've changed residences (e.g. you're now on vacation in Phuket, or you're now out of the country, or you sold your condo and moved to a new condo - otherwise, you never have to communicate with them and the reporting process just happens automatically from your perspective)?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

With the elite visa you have to apply for an extension every year at immigration and pay 1900, just as if you applied for a marriage extension. You just don't need any money seasoned and fewer documents.

You only need to go to immigration and pay the 1900 baht at immigration if you have not left Thailand during the year, 

3 minutes ago, wml22 said:

Cool, thanks for sharing your knowledge about the process. For the 90 day reports being done by a staff office in Bangkok, instead of having to do them yourself, do you still have to communicate with the staff office every 90 days to confirm that your residence hasn't changed? (And I assume that legally, you're still supposed to also get TM30 forms filed for "registration of alien resident" every time you stay overnight anywhere, although pragmatically this seems unenforceable?) Or is the arrangement with the staff office more hands-off, like you don't have to communicate with them or be involved in the 90 day reporting process at all unless you're notifying them that you've changed residences (e.g. you're now on vacation in Phuket, or you're now out of the country, or you sold your condo and moved to a new condo - otherwise, you never have to communicate with them and the reporting process just happens automatically from your perspective)?

It's very hands-on. You need to send the passport to them and there's a fee if you're not based on Bangkok. Personally I find doing it myself easier.

10 minutes ago, wprime said:

It's very hands-on. You need to send the passport to them and there's a fee if you're not based on Bangkok. Personally I find doing it myself easier.

That's kind of hilarious that you find it easier to do yourself. So it's more of a selling point for the marketing angle than a real benefit maybe.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You put your money in the bank, and you do your yearly extensions, when you decide Thailand is no longer for you, you take your money and leave, 

You put your money in a 20 year Elite visa, and five years down the line you decide Thailand is not for you, and it's by by money. 

Pretty much sums it up.

As others have stated, nothing should be trusted in Thailand.

• Like 1