Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yeah...same for my GF...10K out of her SCB account...she is very old school...never pays bills online...always gos to bank to pay...so something else happened. How much do you want to bet the banks are already setting up an alibi so they can stiff their customers for these thefts ?

We discovered our last week about 1500 baht which the BB has already agreed to refund 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mvdf said:

Yes, mutilate your cards. Erase the 3 digit CVC on the card. Such a professional suggestion.

Actually that is official advise of security and banking officials.  There is no need for that code to be on card once you know it.  Only you should be using it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RoninTech said:

Maybe if you don't pay you only get notifications on larger amounts?

I believe it is covered by a monthly 15 baht charge on my account.... it is some years since I took this facility. Have looked around and to change it, it looks like I need to visit the bank or try over the phone. 

7 hours ago, Black Angus said:

Answer is simple. I don't do online banking. The card A/C I se has a limit but I always use cash  You even  have to watch the Banks. 

Had a American Express Platinum Card once always paid on time , one day statement showed late payment, dash down to their branch who  put me through to HQ.  They said the it had not been paid Branch said Yes we have received it and sent it to you. HQ insisted it had not been paid and I was therefore in arrears. Branch said well we have a stamped receipt here showing it paid. Nothing more from HQ A/C paid. Had I not had that piece of paper I would have been unable to prove payment and would have had to cough -up another 195,000Bht. 

SO AWAYS CKECK STATMENTS AND AWAYS GET A RECEIPT.  

I AWAYS ADVISE PEOPLE WHEN DEALING WITH ANY COMPANY GET NAME. AND RECORD DATE TIME PLUS BRIEF VERSION OF WHAT WAS SAID.

So how do you buy anything online using your method ?

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it is covered by a monthly 15 baht charge on my account.... it is some years since I took this facility. Have looked around and to change it, it looks like I need to visit the bank or try over the phone. 

You can subscribe to the plus one that lets you specify the minimum amount to notify you on their app if you have it installed.

15 hours ago, dj230 said:

A VPN is the opposite of being secure, it’s routing all your data through a server

only benefit is to bypass websites being blocked in Thailand or to change IP addresses

There are different levels of security. Yes, you need to trust the VPN company. However, if there was any breach in a major VPN company, you would have heard about it before anything really bad happens.

VPNs are a MUST when you connect to any public wifi or any wifi you do not know. Even better would be to use your mobile data. Even then you would need to trust your mobile company. 

Of course the safest way is to set up your own VPN server, but that is going a bit overboard for most people. 

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Yeah...same for my GF...10K out of her SCB account...she is very old school...never pays bills online...always gos to bank to pay...so something else happened. How much do you want to bet the banks are already setting up an alibi so they can stiff their customers for these thefts ?

two posts from another that covers this theft

In order for this scam to work two things are required 

A CC or Debit Card and all its details 

A CC or Debit card that is enabled for comercial transactions 

As I pay attention - a poster on here yesterday who is a victim of this theft does have a card issued by a bank in Thailand  - he has never used it not even in an ATM machine, from that it is not hard to figure out that whoever stole his money had access to his card details from an internal system - so that is either at a bank or the CC company

It doesn't matter where the money went or how it was requested - an insider had to have access to the card details to make it happen

additionally 

In order for this crime to work you need -

- a source for the money - Thailand bank or CC company with an insider who has access 

- an account with company like paypal using fake id and credentials 

- a bank account in a foreign country (China/Russia) using the same fake id and credentials 

- a team cooperating across borders at the source and destination of the stolen funds 

- once the stolen funds have been retrieved at the destination then this theft is over 

It is difficult to investigate the whole process as it will involve angencies in different countries, the Thai police primary goal is to identify the insiders at the source in Thailand 

People wonder why banks are so particular about making sure of your identity when opening an account - this is why, I don't know how difficult it is to create bogus accounts in say China or Russion for example but it could much easier than in Europe or the US 

This crime will operate for a few days just long enough for the funds to transferred and withdrawal completed and that will be the end of it.

9 minutes ago, hioctane said:

There are different levels of security. Yes, you need to trust the VPN company. However, if there was any breach in a major VPN company, you would have heard about it before anything really bad happens.

VPNs are a MUST when you connect to any public wifi or any wifi you do not know. Even better would be to use your mobile data. Even then you would need to trust your mobile company. 

Of course the safest way is to set up your own VPN server, but that is going a bit overboard for most people. 

Discussing VPN offers no value to this thread, it has nothing to do with what went on and would not have prevented this crime - it is off topic 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

So how do you buy anything online using your method ?

I have paypal ebay amazon all linked to my UK bank account which also has a debit card, been buying stuff for years and often delivered to Thailand, never an issue and I feel confident there never will be

but -

This discussion is about thefts that took place in Thailand from Thai bank accounts - that is a different thing entirely as the OP has identified - read my above post

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

I have paypal ebay amazon all linked to my UK bank account which also has a debit card, been buying stuff for years and often delivered to Thailand, never an issue and I feel confident there never will be

but -

This discussion is about thefts that took place in Thailand from Thai bank accounts - that is a different thing entirely as the OP has identified - read my above post

I have a PayPal account linked to my UK bank account. I tried to make online purchase from a service provider, I received a message "your payment is under consideration" and nothing further.

Contacting PayPal, they could find no trace of the transaction. No money left my bank account.

Trying again, the PayPal option had disappeared from the app. The app provider checked their records, the transaction was blocked by PayPal, because, they said, the PayPal linked account address was in UK and the mobile used, and isp, were in Thailand.

I have never had that problem before.

Is this topic going to end up like one a few months ago where a bank employee allegedly took millions from many farang customers accounts.

We saw a report on it, but I don't remember reading of the outcome. Anyone know if these customers got their money re embursted ?

My  credit card was used twice on the night of 10th October. I woke up in the morning to see messages from the KTC app telling me of two transactions. One was for 1 dollar from Delta Airlines and another one for about 5000 baht from a hotel website in Taiwan. I called the card company immediately and they cancelled the card and got the transactions removed  within 24 hours.  I'm not sure how the card information was obtained, but I rarely use the card and the places I have used it can be counted on one hand.  First time I've ever had a problem like this.

39 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Trying again, the PayPal option had disappeared from the app. The app provider checked their records, the transaction was blocked by PayPal, because, they said, the PayPal linked account address was in UK and the mobile used, and isp, were in Thailand.

That is something you need to take up with paypal, my UK bank address is my Thai address but wasn't always - I have confimed deliery addresses in both the UK and Thailand - my last porchase on ebay was a couple of months ago from HK .......................never had an issue

14 minutes ago, smedly said:

doesn't that tell you something 

It tells me Wise doesn't believe Thailand has a big enough market to warrant getting a licence yet or hasn't finished the licensing process yet. What does it tell you?

1 hour ago, smedly said:

but -

I realize all of that and have those means of purchase

however you are still relying on the protection of the provider’s  systems eBay, bank,  or whatever.

It seems to me that if hackers can get into so called highly protected government agencies as has happened overseas they can probably access the banking system if they wish.

Its the world we live in.

16 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Doing it from a desktop/laptop computer through a web browser to your bank is going to be less secure than using a banking app on the phone (IMHO).  [30+ years designing/building banking and brokerage systems].

and yet the problems still exist ... even after 30 yrs

Firstly, personal data of bank account owners were leaked to criminals after accounts had been set up for bill payments through applications.

how did the bank not catch this .. oh never mind i understand  poor security 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, KannikaP said:

How do you do your 'banking', go to the local branch every time you want to do something?

Yes and no problem in 10 years, gets me out of the house. I am a cash guy use credit cards very seldom. I only leave 5 min. from bank so easy. No atm card so cannot use the old story who did you give atm to, no one

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Guffman said:

My  credit card was used twice on the night of 10th October. I woke up in the morning to see messages from the KTC app telling me of two transactions. One was for 1 dollar from Delta Airlines and another one for about 5000 baht from a hotel website in Taiwan. I called the card company immediately and they cancelled the card and got the transactions removed  within 24 hours.  I'm not sure how the card information was obtained, but I rarely use the card and the places I have used it can be counted on one hand.  First time I've ever had a problem like this.

Had this happen one time.  Tried to use my card and found out my card wouldn't work.  Upon phoning the card company I was questioned about recent transactions and we determined there were two fraudulent transactions, each for less than five dollars.  The charges were reversed, a new card  issued and I received it by express mail.  Like you I am very cautious where I use my card. 

20 hours ago, bdenner said:

My long deceased olde man was of the same mind set. But, alas, we are now in the 21st century - well the Western World is.

And you think an ATM is more secure than online banking!!!!!?????

You could go on all day: Is your wallet secure? Are your cards Secure. Is your house Secure. It is a matter of cutting down the option in which they can hack into you.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Berkshire said:

But then I don't use my credit/debit cards for any online transactions. 

Some banks propose One Time debit card. You create it with your mobile application and then you get the numbers, expiring date and CVV code that you can use only one time. I am at Revolut Bank. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Some might have but myself and one other I know didn't,

It seems they got in through the bank’s online app which was hacked and wasn’t as secure as the bank believed.

Yes, understood. Exactly why my post specifically stated 'some', not all. Regardless, truly sux you got clipped and glad to hear the bank is refunding, as they should of course. 

• Thanks 1