Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Midget and Sprite were identical...it was badge engineering.

They were different, some years were similar.........

Austin Healey Sprite. 

458988155_AustiHealey.jpg.122582a3153cc77269df3453bf86cc7a.jpg

MG Midget...

1503289607_MGMidget.jpg.a5d1ff5ed97169628964eb29a8ac784b.jpg

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, transam said:

Accept what, back when I was fooling around with cars you were well off to have a car, just a few in the street, now 2/3 cars to a household. Times have changed..

I don't know about that, and we were poor.  From 18 yrs old (1973), after 1st real job, I always had a car or 4 + scooters.  And I was a late bloomer in the car thingy, as all my friends had cars before me.

1st was VW van, hippie mobile, but I don't reminisce about that or vW, and would never own a VW again.

2nd was 1950 Buick Special.  Now that was sweet.  Damn seats were like sitting in a sofa in your living room.  Again, wouldn't own a Buick today either.

3rd was another Buick Sport wagon, but 20ish years newer.  Station wagon with rear fold out seat, and wrapped in glass around the top rear of 'wagon' part.  And same, not again.

All kind of classics in their own rite, and wish I still owned them today.  I was practical even as a kid, as did a lot camping and 'sleeping in' the car.  Really never a car to impress.

As far as the performance thing goes, 1 brother was into the 55 / 56 hot rod, bored out, muscle cars.  As was another friend, had a soup'd up Javelin  ????  They were silly powerful & fast.

Again, me, practical, as only bought 1 new vehicle in 27 yrs, in USA, and that was a Nissan truck, as needing a dependable work truck.  I think I owned every US make out there, and stuck with Jap brands after the Nissan, never a Yank made car again.

Strangely here, I'm on my 4th new vehicle in 18 yrs. 2 Vios, Mazda2, MG ????

Edited by KhunLA

32 minutes ago, transam said:

Accept what, back when I was fooling around with cars you were well off to have a car, just a few in the street, now 2/3 cars to a household. Times have changed..

Someone like him will never understand he didn't live in the UK at the time so how would he know.

He ain't got a clue. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Someone like him will never understand he didn't live in the UK at the time so how would he know.

He ain't got a clue. 

With that, I think I should be counting my blessing I was born on the other side of the pond.  Might explain why my great greats left way back in the 1600s ????

And I thank them for that.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

With that, I think I should be counting my blessing I was born on the other side of the pond.  Might explain why my great greats left way back in the 1600s ????

And I thank them for that.

That figures and is no surprise to me but I was proud to be English at one time before it joined the foreign filth European Mafia club. 

My English surname gave Father and Son to be Presidents of the USA. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

That figures and is no surprise to me but I was proud to be English at one time before it joined the foreign filth European Mafia club. 

My English surname gave Father and Son to be Presidents of the USA. 

Nothing wrong with being proud of one's roots.  I used to be 'appreciative' of being born in the 'land of opportunity', which it was and still is ... IF ... YOU take advantage of it.  Appreciate being born there, than any alternative.

Constitution is a lovely document to guide the Republic.  Too bad the politicians, 99.9% are scum.  Shame and embarrassing the military is simply a corporate security force, and a mind F for those that volunteered without realizing that before hand.

Sadly, nothing nice to say about the USA now, since I left (2000), right before they started invading sovereign countries for NO reason.  Downhill ever since.  And no sign of getting better in the future.  Depressing if one dwells on it.

All smiles here.  Thailand, close to China for online shopping, what's not to like ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I don't know about that, and we were poor.  From 18 yrs old (1973), after 1st real job, I always had a car or 4 + scooters.  And I was a late bloomer in the car thingy, as all my friends had cars before me.

1st was VW van, hippie mobile, but I don't reminisce about that or vW, and would never own a VW again.

2nd was 1950 Buick Special.  Now that was sweet.  Damn seats were like sitting in a sofa in your living room.  Again, wouldn't own a Buick today either.

3rd was another Buick Sport wagon, but 20ish years newer.  Station wagon with rear fold out seat, and wrapped in glass around the top rear of 'wagon' part.  And same, not again.

All kind of classics in their own rite, and wish I still owned them today.  I was practical even as a kid, as did a lot camping and 'sleeping in' the car.  Really never a car to impress.

As far as the performance thing goes, 1 brother was into the 55 / 56 hot rod, bored out, muscle cars.  As was another friend, had a soup'd up Javelin  ????  They were silly powerful & fast.

Again, me, practical, as only bought 1 new vehicle in 27 yrs, in USA, and that was a Nissan truck, as needing a dependable work truck.  I think I owned every US make out there, and stuck with Jap brands after the Nissan, never a Yank made car again.

Strangely here, I'm on my 4th new vehicle in 18 yrs. 2 Vios, Mazda2, MG ????

My point was, you cannot compare car sales from the 60/70's to the numbers of today....

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Or the vehicles, makes, models, performance.  

Correct, and who manufactures them.......????

The iconic British  R.R. Merlin V12 was also produced in the USA under licence by Packard, we needed the numbers..

Sorry, off topic ......????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, transam said:

They were different, some years were similar.........

Austin Healey Sprite. 

458988155_AustiHealey.jpg.122582a3153cc77269df3453bf86cc7a.jpg

MG Midget...

1503289607_MGMidget.jpg.a5d1ff5ed97169628964eb29a8ac784b.jpg

You wrong, you're looking at different years...the body styles of frog eye and Midget were different but essentially the same car. The subsequrnt models were identical, they were exactly the same...

Edited by kwilco

11 hours ago, kwilco said:

You wrong, you're looking at different years...the body styles of frog eye and Midget were different but essentially the same car. The subsequrnt models were identical, they were exactly the same...

Of course they were basically the same, the same as the Oxford and Cambridge, though the frog eye was very different visually in the beginning, in later years minor differences...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Of course they were basically the same, the same as the Oxford and Cambridge, though the frog eye was very different visually in the beginning, in later years minor differences...

Called 'bug eye' in Oz.. Ladies fun car... bit like Triumph Spitfire 

Spitfire ... racking my brains the other day about that one.  Name on tip of my brain.

A few of those back in the day around.  A couple Fiat 'Spiders' ?  also.  Brother had TR7, bought new besides MGBs (used).  Didn't keep it long, again, c r a p mechanically.  More recent, loved his Miata & Mini Cooper.  I could see myself in the Mini Cooper, except they are 2 mill here, vs 600k he paid for in the states .... W T F

I myself came real close to buying the TR6, and the only one I like, as decent performer, to the others, and didn't look and drive like a chickie car.

Edited by KhunLA

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Spitfire ... racking my brains the other day about that one.  Name on tip of my brain.

A few of those back in the day around.  A couple Fiat 'Spiders' ?  also.  Brother had TR7, bought new besides MGBs (used).  Didn't keep it long, again, c r a p mechanically.  More recent, loved his Miata & Mini Cooper.  I could see myself in the Mini Cooper, except they are 2 mill here, vs 600k he paid for in the states .... W T F

I myself came real close to buying the TR6, and the only one I like, as decent performer, to the others, and didn't look and drive like a chickie car.

Triumph Stag. Little.v8. Mate had one but kept busting it!

8 minutes ago, Olmate said:

The Triumph 3.0 V8 has been deemed the worse engine ever created. Though Triumph was then part of BMC/BL, they let Triumph continue trying to create a Triumph V8 when BL already had the Buick/Rover 3.5 V8 in their arsenal.

It was a big mistake.... ????

PS. Daimler/Jag had the "little" V8, it was a 2.5..????

Edited by transam

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Not sure if available in states.  I didn't follow the ragtops that much, that was my brothers thing, but always notice when a TR6 buzzed by.  Even sounded great.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure if available in states.  I didn't follow the ragtops that much, that was my brothers thing, but always notice when a TR6 buzzed by.  Even sounded great.

The USA did have the Stag, the TR6 was a 2.5 straight 6.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

The Triumph 3.0 V8 has been deemed the worse engine ever created. Though Triumph was then part of BMC/BL, they let Triumph continue trying to create a Triumph V8 when BL already had the Buick/Rover 3.5 V8 in their arsenal.

It was a big mistake.... ????

PS. Daimler/Jag had the "little" V8, it was a 2.5..????

GMH Oz.Holden 253 V8. Mid 70s great motor

• Like 1

The MG cars from China, are basically re-cosmetically adapted SAIC vehicles. The latest range from MG have been used inChina for more than a few years. So overall well tested meaning that all bugs are ironed out. Cheaper and well built from a proven range, so no major suprises.  I ahve an MG GS for 5 years, a couple of minor switches replaced for free. otherwise the car as continued to preform well. They are not rubbish, and should you have the chance to visit China go and vist a SAIC showroom if you want to know what the next models will be, or perhaps visit their online showroom.

• Like 2

Here's some actual stats about new car sales in Thailand 2020. MG doing well, but hardly flooding the market.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1053157/thailand-number-of-new-vehicle-sales-by-major-brand/

Meanwhile in China itself the Volkswagen brand leads the way.

https://daxueconsulting.com/volkswagen-in-china/

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Here's some actual stats about new car sales in Thaiand 2020. MG doing well, but hardly flooding the market.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1053157/thailand-number-of-new-vehicle-sales-by-major-brand/

That's interesting......????

17 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Here's some actual stats about new car sales in Thailand 2020. MG doing well, but hardly flooding the market.

Since overall sales are down, any increase in #s for any brand is a good thing.  MG just opened yet another dealer 1 km away from us now, so no need to go the Hua Hin (100 kms away) for an oil change ????

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I think the VW Passat GTE sales include ICE /hybrid Passats and not only EV pasats. 

Am I correct?    

What I find interesting is that with all the MG glam I read here, the actual Chinese buyer seems to stick with a very reliable brand, which is probably more expensive too....

22 hours ago, transam said:

There was an MG 1100, I had the engine out of one to make a Mini Cooper S clone....????

A little bit of info, the original Mini Cooper S was 1071cc, then they changed it to 970cc and 1275cc, so they could enter 2 racing classes. My clone was 1098cc..

I used to race a Morris 1100 at speedway as a kid,fun times and the front wheel drive had its advantages.

Sister had a road car,80kph was as fast as you could go as the Aussie heat and the east/west engines didn't mix.

Nana had the Austin Tasman,think they were 1800cc?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Kind of a twisted tale there about VW in China - why is the joint-venture between VW and SAIC (yes, that SAIC that also builds today's MG's!) kept out of the entire report?

5 minutes ago, transam said:

What I find interesting is that with all the MG glam I read here, the actual Chinese buyer seems to stick with a very reliable brand, which is probably more expensive too....

I don't think that's true, 

Chinese consumers bought 1.79 million electric vehicles in the first 8 months of 2021 . where VW has sold  293,000 all-electric cars, in the world. , not sure how many of them were in China , but you can bet it's a number significantly smaller that the total world sales. 

So I think it would be a stretch to say that Chinese consumers prefer VW evs over other brands.