Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

43 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah, can just see the Thai's reading that (Is there a Thai translated version) and thinking "ZOMG I MUST BUY MG".....

Not.

How true, they are looking at the badge on the back of the ride and thinking....

WOW...????....It's British, a must hab.................????...........????

But you can read it.......????

1 hour ago, transam said:

This is what the Chinese are selling their bought MG name stuff on........????

https://www.mgcars.com/en/Heritage

I'd be surprised if any Thai knows the 'heritage'.  I don't even know it, or care.  Only an idiot would think the car has anything to do with UK, past history.  IMHO, that's a good thing for sales, as they mass produced c r a p.  Y'all still forgetting, they went belly up for a reason.

Ford & Chevy have a great race history, but I wouldn't buy any of their c r a p either.  OK, maybe an F150 if I was in the stated, but the MG truck here, not a ford.

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'd be surprised if any Thai knows the 'heritage'.  I don't even know it, or care.  Only an idiot would think the car has anything to do with UK, past history.  IMHO, that's a good thing for sales, as they mass produced c r a p.  Y'all still forgetting, they went belly up for a reason.

Ford & Chevy have a great race history, but I wouldn't buy any of their c r a p either.  OK, maybe an F150 if I was in the stated, but the MG truck here, not a ford.

British Leyland went belly up, which took down many brands under their control.......????

6 minutes ago, transam said:

British Leyland went belly up, which took down many brands under their control.......????

Yea, and while they held MG rights, didn't even produce anything new, with except of the MGB (V8), which tells me, they weren't very marketable, and shelved, as no demand for them.  Actually amazing the MG badge survived at all.  You need to keep up, or go belly up.

Wiki - "Seventies no new MG models were introduced apart from the limited-production V8 version of the MGB. While the MG operations was profitable these profits were entirely offset by the huge losses accrued by the rest of the Austin-Morris division and any funding to the Division within BL was allocated to urgently required mass market models, leaving MG with limited resources to develop and maintain its existing model range, which became increasingly outdated."

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, and while they held MG rights, didn't even produce anything new, with except of the MGB (V8), which tells me, they weren't very marketable, and shelved, as no demand for them.  Actually amazing the MG badge survived at all.  You need to keep up, or go belly up.

Wiki - "Seventies no new MG models were introduced apart from the limited-production V8 version of the MGB. While the MG operations was profitable these profits were entirely offset by the huge losses accrued by the rest of the Austin-Morris division and any funding to the Division within BL was allocated to urgently required mass market models, leaving MG with limited resources to develop and maintain its existing model range, which became increasingly outdated."

There were MG's after the MGB, most of the BL range had performance versions badged MG, have a read..????

https://classicsworld.co.uk/guides/a-brief-history-of-mg-cars/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeah but brands were sold off it was the Japanese cars that were too competitive and became better. 

Bad English management and Unions ruined things as well. 

Anyways anyone saying MG's in there time were no-good ain't worth listening too, what they know ain't worth knowing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Bad English management and Unions ruined things as well. 

Yes, management and the design folk/engineers have to take a lot of the blame for producing some absolute dogs of cars, and I drove a few, and it's no wonder the company went out of business.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Anyways anyone saying MG's in there time were no-good ain't worth listening too, what they know ain't worth knowing.

Having said that above, there was something strange about the MG badge/brand, because it was held in high esteem and above just about all of the other cars which BL made, and the MGB was a very popular car in its time, however it didn't appeal to me because of the limited leg room and the handling wasn't brilliant, and of course it was prone to rust.

Despite all of that, any car with an MG badge on it was seen to be a cut above the company who actually manufactured it/them!

PS. On the subject of engineering, I also owned a Triumph TR4A IRS at one time, and although it was a stunning looking car in my opinion, it really was a terrible car for road holding/handling, and I used to think that the IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) meant that the suspension was independent of the car itself, because that's the way it handled!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes, management and the design folk/engineers have to take a lot of the blame for producing some absolute dogs of cars, and I drove a few, and it's no wonder the company went out of business.

Having said that above, there was something strange about the MG badge/brand, because it was held in high esteem and above just about all of the other cars which BL made, and the MGB was a very popular car in its time, however we didn't appeal to me because of the limited leg room and the handling wasn't brilliant, and of course it was prone to rust.

Despite all of that, any car with an MG badge on it was seen to be a cut above the company who actually manufactured it/them!

PS. On the subject of engineering, I also owned a Triumph TR4A IRS at one time, and although it was a stunning looking car in my opinion, it really was a terrible car for road holding/handling, and I used to think that the IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) meant that the suspension was independent of the car itself, because that's the way it handled!

I only try to be fair as a car of it's day MGB 1800cc was a nice car.

Overdrive on 3rd & 4th I liked. 

Never had any trouble with it except the wire wheels needed truing from time to time. 

Fitting new clutch plates was an easy job. 

Family arrived so sold it at a good price had certificate when I bought it that it had been undersealed by a company.

Got a Rover 3500 auto which tuned out to be another great car.

• Like 1

Most cars of the BMC/BL era rusted away, regardless of make. I had quite a few BL cars over the years, of which some, I thought, were very clever designs.

The Mini was a revolution, and that soon went into the setup of many BL rides.

I thought the Austin Maxi was a great car, first to have  5 speed, not only was it cavernous, because of front-wheel drive, it had a huge hatchback tailgate, but it never had an MG badge, the performance version was just called HLS, mum had one...????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Most cars of the BMC/BL era rusted away, regardless of make. I had quite a few BL cars over the years, of which some, I thought, were very clever designs.

The Mini was a revolution, and that soon went into the setup of many BL rides.

I thought the Austin Maxi was a great car, first to have  5 speed, not only was it cavernous, because of front-wheel drive, it had a huge hatchback tailgate, but it never had an MG badge, the performance version was just called HLS, mum had one...????

As Kwasaki has mentioned, I thought the Rover 3500, the one with the long sloping back and the previous one to it, were good cars and didn't seem to have problems with rust.

The mini of course was a revolution with its transverse engine, but I often used to wonder whether British car manufacturers would put a car into the marketplace without thoroughly investigating it and its potential faults?

I say this because the early minis had gearbox problems where the synchromesh would fail; the subframes were not undersealed, and would rot away in no time at all, and the brake adjusters quickly rusted into position, which made them unusable.

The flimsy window mechanisms and the "felt" which acted as a sealer of sorts, soon fell apart, to name but a few poor design problems.

At one time I drove a Morris Marina, and bits kept dropping off of it, especially the exhaust pipe, and a friend who owned an Austin Allegro was very surprised one day when driving to work with his new car, when the stub axle snapped, leaving him stranded. Apparently this was not unusual for this car?

I bought an Austin 1500 Maxi and thought it was a lovely car with its hydrolastic suspension, although the gearlever had plenty of travel space, and IMO the Austin and Morris 1100 and 1300 cars were probably the pick of the bunch with their handling and suspension.

I had my share of BL cars over the years and the last one I had before I emigrated, was the Vauxhall Cavalier 2 L and I thought that was a great car, sturdy, comfortable and fast.

Back on topic, the MG badge/brand will be etched in the memories of many Brits, so I think the Chinese are onto a winner provided they can keep the quality up, and from what I've seen, they have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As Kwasaki has mentioned, I thought the Rover 3500, the one with the long sloping back and the previous one to it, were good cars and didn't seem to have problems with rust.

The mini of course was a revolution with its transverse engine, but I often used to wonder whether British car manufacturers would put a car into the marketplace without thoroughly investigating it and its potential faults?

I say this because the early minis had gearbox problems where the synchromesh would fail; the subframes were not undersealed, and would rot away in no time at all, and the brake adjusters quickly rusted into position, which made them unusable.

The flimsy window mechanisms and the "felt" which acted as a sealer of sorts, soon fell apart, to name but a few poor design problems.

At one time I drove a Morris Marina, and bits kept dropping off of it, especially the exhaust pipe, and a friend who owned an Austin Allegro was very surprised one day when driving to work with his new car, when the stub axle snapped, leaving him stranded. Apparently this was not unusual for this car?

I bought an Austin 1500 Maxi and thought it was a lovely car with its hydrolastic suspension, although the gearlever had plenty of travel space, and IMO the Austin and Morris 1100 and 1300 cars were probably the pick of the bunch with their handling and suspension.

I had my share of BL cars over the years and the last one I had before I emigrated, was the Vauxhall Cavalier 2 L and I thought that was a great car, sturdy, comfortable and fast.

Back on topic, the MG badge/brand will be etched in the memories of many Brits, so I think the Chinese are onto a winner provided they can keep the quality up, and from what I've seen, they have.

The early Mini never had synchro in first gear, you had to use the synchro on second to stop the first gear crunch, it was rectified not long after....????

I do recall pulling the engine out a few times to replace gearbox bearings though, because of my tuning tomfoolery...????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

The early Mini never had synchro in first gear, you had to use the synchro on second to stop the first gear crunch, it was rectified not long after....????

I do recall pulling the engine out a few times to replace gearbox bearings though, because of my tuning tomfoolery...????

Wasn't there a small car that was a mini MG like a Austin 1100. ?

51 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I also owned a Triumph TR4A IRS

Owned a TR6 - overdrive in second third forth.

Handled OK once i put coilovers in the rear, to replace the horrible hydraulic lever shocks it came stock with.

Added a third carb, bunch of stuff - it was still gutless

Swapped in a 327 - that cured that. Had to go easy on standing starts or the diff would explode !!! 555

• Like 2

I have an MG 5 Turbo.

Imoh it's a great car. Huge step up from a Mirage or other eco cars. Five years so far. No problems. I paid around 600,000b cash for new.

I am ocd with yearly diy servicing. It's quiet & comfortable. Fuel economy isn't great. I need to stop using semi auto mode . 555.

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

There was an MG 1100, I had the engine out of one to make a Mini Cooper S clone....????

A little bit of info, the original Mini Cooper S was 1071cc, then they changed it to 970cc and 1275cc, so they could enter 2 racing classes. My clone was 1098cc..

Nice mate! i had the 1200 with a pipa cam ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, transam said:

Double declutch to go into first.

The mini shared the engine oil (bathwater!) with the gearbox ...... so not looking after the engine oil lead to bearings etc in the box failing.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

There were MG's after the MGB, most of the BL range had performance versions badged MG, have a read..????

https://classicsworld.co.uk/guides/a-brief-history-of-mg-cars/

Nah, that's OK, don't care as the past is totally irrelevant to the new Chinese MG.

Surely it will surpassed all sales of the prior companies that failed to continue producing.

Accept it & move on ... 

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I also believe the synchromesh was faulty in the early Minis (1959) and this was rectified when the 62/63 models came out.

I say this because my gearbox failed completely, and whatever synchromesh was in it, just wasn't working, and as I recall, getting into third gear was the big problem – – crunch, grind etc.

Luckily I had a friend who had his own little garage repair/workshop, so it was fixed for me for the grand price of £32!

Apart from that and being an absolute rust bucket which had more filler in it than you could buy in Halford's, the later Minis I thought were good.

• Like 1

Just now, kwilco said:

Fpuble declutch to go into first.

The mini shared the engine oil (bathwater!) with the gearbox ...... so not looking after the engine oil lead to bearings etc in the box failing.

If you are stationary and want first gear, you pull the stick back to touch second then forward to a no crunch first.

The stock mini had smaller bearings in the box than the Cooper.

The stock mini also had a single row timing chain, the Cooper double row.

I learned all this the hard way.. ????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nah, that's OK, don't care as the past is totally irrelevant to the new Chinese MG.

Surely it will surpassed all sales of the prior companies that failed to continue producing.

Accept it & move on ... 

Accept what, back when I was fooling around with cars you were well off to have a car, just a few in the street, now 2/3 cars to a household. Times have changed..

• Thanks 1