Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

5 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Kind of a twisted tale there about VW in China - why is the joint-venture between VW and SAIC (yes, that SAIC that also builds today's MG's!) kept out of the entire report?

Perhaps MG is SAIC cheap brand...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ThaiSanookGuy said:

I tried to drive a MG today !

Really can't stop laughing even more !

Really you call this a car ?!

Even a Toyota could be better...

Another China basher without any reason explaining what and why. Booooooring...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 12:40 PM, transam said:

Perhaps MG is SAIC cheap brand...

I think that would be the Wuling line, also badged as Chevy (Enjoy & N400).

They even make a nice EV, though as usual, 2X the cost in Thailand vs China, so not the best value in Thailand, when you can spend 50k more, and get an ICE (Suzuki Celerio) w/600-700 kms range

https://th.carro.co/blog/wuling-hongguang-mini-ev-2021/ 

My farang friend and his Thai wife bought the SUV model ZS.

I have only ridden in it a couple times, but it seems to be good vehicle (nice lighting, aircon, electronics, decent power). I asked them, and they said they are happy with it.

Hey, a lot of the parts (plastics, electronics) used in building other EU, US, etc. brands come from China. 

Keep on laughing while the Chines eat your lunch, These cars are build to western standards with western  assembly technology , If I was a US , Japanese. or European car producer I would be very very concerned. 

I would have no problem buying a an MG or a Haval (GWM)  for sale here in Thailand. 

The Haval  H6 hybrid for sale at 1.2 million baht kicks ass, If I had nor just bought a car I would certainly buy it, I an still thinking of trading my les than year old car in for one.  

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

A very interesting link which highlights just how ‘off’ my bias is....

Lexus #1 for reliability - kind of expected...

But next is Dacia, Hyundai, Suzuki  - none of which I have ever considered buying. 

Whats more surprising is how far ‘down’ the reliability table Audi, Volvo, BMW and Mercedes are... 

That said: The top 25 cars have a ‘customer’ reliability rating from 98.7% to 89.4%

BANGKOK: 24 Dec. 2021 — Among 217 problem areas assessed by new-vehicle owners, 59% of the total problems reported are related to design, according to the J.D. Power 2021 Thailand Initial Quality Study (IQS), SM released today.

https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2021-12/2021179 Thailand IQS.pdf

Cars built in the US are designed and tweaked for US market

Cars built in Europe are designed and tweaked for European market

16 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Yes, number 10 is the MG ZS EV. 

I'm not surprised. I have had one for almost two and a half years.

Great car! Couldn't be happier with it.

Same ... very happy, though only had ZS for 27k kms.  Best value out there IMHO.

As far as being 'China made', that's the best thing that ever happened to the MGs.  When I first saw them on Thai roads a few years back, first thought was 'hell no', they were unreliable back when. 

Then found out, SAIC was producing them and had to take a peek and quite glad I did ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Same ... very happy, though only had ZS for 27k kms.  Best value out there IMHO.

As far as being 'China made', that's the best thing that ever happened to the MGs.  When I first saw them on Thai roads a few years back, first thought was 'hell no', they were unreliable back when. 

Then found out, SAIC was producing them and had to take a peek and quite glad I did ????

Well yes, it is a Chinese car using a British brand name and Union Jack....????

Shame really, they could have been name adventurous like, "Rick Shaw Rides"....????

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Well yes, it is a Chinese car using a British brand name and Union Jack....????

Shame really, they could have been name adventurous like, "Rick Shaw Rides"....????

As stated before, badge / name could be anything as far as I'm concerned.  Brit / UJ / MG was actually a turn off for me.  'RSR' would have been cool ????

Funny works for me.  I got a DECO SUSU, made in China.  Do you really think I care.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

As stated before, badge / name could be anything as far as I'm concerned.  Brit / UJ / MG was actually a turn off for me.  'RSR' would have been cool ????

Funny works for me.  I got a DECO SUSU, made in China.  Do you really think I care.

Well no, just don't use it very often....????........????

1 minute ago, transam said:

Well no, just don't use it very often....????........????

On the DECO 2X a day, everyday, if not more.  ZS, when needed / wanting, since having the DECO.  I'll take 2 wheels over 4 most times around town.

52 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

BANGKOK: 24 Dec. 2021 — Among 217 problem areas assessed by new-vehicle owners, 59% of the total problems reported are related to design, according to the J.D. Power 2021 Thailand Initial Quality Study (IQS), SM released today.

https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2021-12/2021179 Thailand IQS.pdf

Cars built in the US are designed and tweaked for US market

Cars built in Europe are designed and tweaked for European market

Nothing about reliability just load wingers opinions.

I thought I’d never be interested in a Chinese car....  

Then, I saw the little Ora Ev car (the size of a Yaris)... and thought that it was interesting... 

I even discussed with the wife the possibility of nipping out and picking one up... just for local trips, not for express way use (as its too small, I want something larger), which means it wouldn’t be a school run vehicle as we need to take the expressway to take our son to school.

But...  I found it out its nearly 1 Million Baht !!!!!.... BOOM !!! no way... I was thinking about 350,000 baht !!!!

Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 16.44.39.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought I’d never be interested in a Chinese car....  

Then, I saw the little Ora Ev car (the size of a Yaris)... and thought that it was interesting... 

I even discussed with the wife the possibility of nipping out and picking one up... just for local trips, not for express way use (as its too small, I want something larger), which means it wouldn’t be a school run vehicle as we need to take the expressway to take our son to school.

But...  I found it out its nearly 1 Million Baht !!!!!.... BOOM !!! no way... I was thinking about 350,000 baht !!!!

Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 16.44.39.png

There's one floating around near me, Mrs.T thought it amusing....????....But it is the future...

The Chinese are very clever. They took a well known brand, re-designed it, and are selling it at a price that appeals to many. The fact that it has a very underpowered engine, and is of low quality does not seem to deter many who want to "have the look". It would appear that many car reviewers and users seem to agree, all the money is on the outside of the car.