Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

On 10/1/2022 at 10:44 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have tried to get the price for the H6 PHEV a few times, via LINE and at a mini motor show a couple of months ago.
Asked again today as GWM had the Jolion HEV and H6 HEV  on show at the local mall but the rep said price will only be revealed on 7/8th October .

Do you know ??

( serious question as I am interested in a PHEV )

1,699,000 baht

On 10/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, placeholder said:

Maybe your ideas about the quality of Chinese-built MGs are outdated?

MG Reviews

https://www.carsguide.com.au/mg

Perhaps not:

35% of MG owners reporting a fault in the first year of ownership in the 2022 Driver Power survey, but the mood improved when it came to value for money."

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/mg/hs/reliability#:~:text=MG HS reliability,came to value for money.

Sure beats driving a scooter and safer though! 

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

1,699,000 baht

The Haval H6 PHEV has the longest range of any plug in hybrid at 200km, more than enough for many trips and would get me from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai, but I wonder how it drives?

The Jolion & Good Cat, don't drive well, the suspension is choppy on both and the Jolion is noisy (both tyres and engine).

I haven't driven the H6 but I would want to before ordering one based on my test drive experience of the brand.

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The Haval H6 PHEV has the longest range of any plug in hybrid at 200km, more than enough for many trips and would get me from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai, but I wonder how it drives?

The Jolion & Good Cat, don't drive well, the suspension is choppy on both and the Jolion is noisy (both tyres and engine).

I haven't driven the H6 but I would want to before ordering one based on my test drive experience of the brand.

Haval says it’ll do 201km using only electricity before dipping into petrol power, though this is according to the unrealistic NEDC cycle.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/haval-h6-plug-in-hybrid-mega-range-phev-revealed-not-for-oz

Range estimates can vary depending on how your EV’s performance is measured

Looking at an example EV (the 2019 BMW i3 BEV), you can see how the different reports vary wildly

NEDC 223 miles WLTP 177-193 miles EPA 153 miles

The bottom line is that, although these ranges do give you some help in narrowing down EVs that are more appropriate for your lifestyle, many other factors should also be considered.

https://www.lifewire.com/ev-ranges-explained-5202261

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Perhaps not:

35% of MG owners reporting a fault in the first year of ownership in the 2022 Driver Power survey, but the mood improved when it came to value for money."

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/mg/hs/reliability#:~:text=MG HS reliability,came to value for money.

Sure beats driving a scooter and safer though! 

I think there is a world of difference between MG ICE cars and MG BEV cars, both are stunning value for money, but their ICE cars tend to depreciate pretty quick, the SUV's less so but still not good.  Time will tell on their BEV cars.

My daughters both drove Suzuki Ciaz which I bought second hand at 10 months old, the eldest got a Ciaz RS with 19,000 km for 360,000 baht and the youngest got the Ciaz GL Plus for the same but with only 700km on it.  The Suzuki Ciaz is one car you definitely don't want to buy new.

We kept the RS for 3 years and sold it with 50,000km on it for 320,000 baht to order the MG EP+ at close to 230,000 baht off list price.  The new MG EP+ will be between 1.1 and 1.2M baht so I figured we shouldn't get much depreciation.  We had to order it without a test drive, however the reviews of the car in the UK were excellent but when it arrived I was astounded, it's a superb car.  Being electric you would hear any trim noise from poor assembly, there is none at all.  The car is very quiet, quick and the suspension set up is excellent with a very taut chassis reminiscent of a BMW.  Some of the plastics are a bit hard but a car here that is cheaper than in the UK is unheard of, and especially a BEV car.  My eldest daughter couldn't return from university in Chiang Mai for a week and so I drove it and I loved it so much I ordered another for myself as the order books had reopened and there was still a government subsidy.  We did test drive the Ora Good Cat and the Haval Jolion.  The Ora Good Cat doesn't compare, it's very poor in comparison to the MG EP+ when it comes to driving it.  It's design and tech is definitely superior, far superior, and it's more attractive to a female driver, my daughter says it looks more girly, but it's choppy (it made me sick in the back) and it's underpowered and the boot space is very poor.  Mainly though, it's the suspension set up that disappointed me, the Jolion was the same, maybe it's a brand thing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

This from CarNewsChina.com on October 9, 2022:

"The Haval H6 DHT-PHEV was built based on GWM’s L.E.M.O.N. platform."

https://carnewschina.com/2022/10/09/haval-h6-dht-phev-officially-launched-in-thailand-price-starts-at-22400-usd/

I should get one of these.

I have a history of buying lemons. ????

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Steven J said:

I've had an MG ZS for over 18 months and have never been happier. The build is superb and quality all the way.

Steven,

but isn't a little bit premature to start singing praises to a brand/model just after 18 months of ownership?

Try 8 years and at least 80,000 kms.

Until then.....

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 3:34 AM, kwilco said:

Every time a new country enters the market the dinosaurs tell us their product is cheap <deleted>.

China has the biggest motor industry in the world and builds some of the highest quality products in ANY field..... cars are no exception... and in the next years or rather months they will be keading the world in electric cars.

Meanwhile peooke like Brexiteers are withdrawing from the world market and complain about China 

Well, it would seem that the Thai government regards German made engines for their new subs as higher quality than the Chinese copy being offered.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Also had the 2020 MG ZS ICE ... so happy with it, we bought the 2022 EV version.

I've owned just about every USA auto maker; GM (Chevy, Pontiac, Buick),  Ford, Chrysler.  Along with VW, Datsun/Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, and wouldn't by any again, after owing the MG.

CHINA ROCKS 

IMO a 2 yo vehicle is not an adequate test of how good a brand is. It's a question of the durability of the vehicle after it comes out of warranty, and whether the buyer gets bent over by the manufacturer when the vehicle is older, as the three-pointed Death Star is so famous for doing.

Like you, I have owned a range of brands in the space of 60 years. I would have to class Mitsubishi as one of the most underrated brands around, several of their vehicles I passed on to others went past 400K on the odometer with no problem. Nissan had a stellar reputation with the Sunny, but their adoption of CVT has cost them dearly.

Financially, the most sensible thing a new car buyer can do is drive the vehicle into the ground. It makes least sense financially to be trading in a vehicle which is only two or three years old, because that is when depreciation is on the maximum setting.

Before I would buy a Chinese vehicle, I would want to know if it would stick around for the long haul, or become a piece of junk after 150,000 km. I'm happy to let others be the lab rats until then.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

@Lacessit

From wiki:  "SAIC Motor Corp., Ltd. (formerly Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) is a Chinese state-owned automobile manufacturer headquartered in Anting, Shanghai. Founded in 1955, it is currently the largest of the "Big Four" state-owned car manufacturers of China, namely: SAIC Motor, FAW Group, Dongfeng Motor Corporation, and Changan Automobile, with car sales of 5.37 million, 3.50 million, 3.28 million and 2.30 million in 2021 respectively.

The company produces and sells vehicles under its own branding, such as Feifan, IM, Maxus, MG, Roewe, Baojun (under SGMW), Wuling (under SGMW), as well as under foreign-branded joint ventures such as SAIC-Volkswagen (Volkswagen, Skoda, Audi) and SAIC-General Motors (Buick, Chevrolet, Cadillac). In 2021, domestic-branded cars took 52% of sales.  It also produces electric vehicles under some of the previously listed brandings, including dedicated EV brands such as Feifan and IM.

It is currently a Fortune Global 100 company, ranked 60 on the list.Including SGMW, it is also the third largest plug-in electric vehicle (BEV and PHEV) company and second largest BEV company in the world, with 10.5% and 13% global market share respectively in 2021, selling under brand names such as Wuling, Baojun, Maxus, MG, Roewe and Feifan"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC_Motor

On 12/1/2022 at 10:12 AM, Lacessit said:

MO a 2 yo vehicle is not an adequate test of how good a brand is. It's a question of the durability of the vehicle after it comes out of warranty,

that's exactly what they said about Japanese cars, Korean cars etc...... they are likely to be the ONLY cars in 20 years time.

• Like 1

Alot of the build quality is on the outside of the car. It takes research to know which cars last a long time, and some of us prefer a solid Japanese car over a modest Chinese one. They "look" like nice cars for the money. Need I say more? 

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of the build quality is on the outside of the car. It takes research to know which cars last a long time, and some of us prefer a solid Japanese car over a modest Chinese one. They "look" like nice cars for the money. Need I say more? 

Sorry but the Chinese engineers are well aware of the standards of the competition and how to achieve that Thy have even got foreign engineers training them..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Sorry but the Chinese engineers are well aware of the standards of the competition and how to achieve that Thy have even got foreign engineers training them..

I am sure they do. However, being aware of the competition, and being able to build a car that last like many Japanese cars do, is a very, very distant dream for the Chinese. Time will tell. These MG cars have a very short track history, in their current evolution. 

The reason the Chinese manufacturers are wiping the floor with everyone else is because they are producing quality cheap electric vehicles at less than half the price of the European competition. Never mind the MGs, look at the BYD Atto 3 and, soon to be sold here, the Dolphin for 800k.

The Chinese are using "western" designers/engineering and simply copying Western techniques.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JasonJsnHo said:

@Leba Im sure u r the weird guy that stuck in the mountain and doesnt know about chinese car

You would know that then of the reports of the ora goot cat literally getting "stuck in the mountains" because its battery overheated!

16 minutes ago, peterrabbit said:

The reason the Chinese manufacturers are wiping the floor with everyone else is because they are producing quality cheap electric vehicles at less than half the price of the European competition. Never mind the MGs, look at the BYD Atto 3 and, soon to be sold here, the Dolphin for 800k.

The Chinese are using "western" designers/engineering and simply copying Western techniques.

I want to see if thye have the durability and resale of a toyota or honda after a 10 year period. I will wait this one out for at least another 10 years, before even considering a Chinese ev. 

You sound a lot like someone who comes from a family of lifetime generational Western auto workers in Detroit/UK/(wherever, fill in the blank) who have now lost their job to Chinese manufacturing and are just angry at the world (literally).

It's the "my grandaddy was a miner, my daddy was a miner, I'm a miner and my son will be  miner" entitlement mentality. 

As the saying goes...."Learn to code"^^ 555

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am sure they do. However, being aware of the competition, and being able to build a car that last like many Japanese cars do, is a very, very distant dream for the Chinese. Time will tell. These MG cars have a very short track history, in their current evolution. 

I don't think you understand the technology of building automobiles these days. Your views are too simplistic to engage in a rational discussion.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

I don't think you understand the technology of building automobiles these days. Your views are too simplistic to engage in a rational discussion.

Time will tell if these cars can truly rival the build quality of the Japanese rivals. I don't think they ever will.