A nightmare is unfolding.....

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Or as someone wrote on the 'What song makes you cry' thread........anything by Justine Bieber

I never knew that there is now also a Female version of Justin Bieber? OMG The Horror!!! ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Our problem is the karaoke doesn't have to be constant or ridiculous loud........it only has to be intermittent and audible to make our lives a living hell.

Exactly. Our "Demon Shop" could start at all hours off the day, sometimes as early as 3am, and sometimes he was even turning up the Music when the Temple was turning on that Temple music to get people goto the Temple.

And if he had customers singing Karaoke it could last almost all through the night!

But it was also ridiculous loud! I have a dB app on my Phone and it listed peaks of 100+dB and that was from a shop approx 200 meters away!

Edit: For the OP, here is the APP I am using

https://apps.apple.com/th/app/decibel-x-db-sound-level-meter/id448155923

Edited by MJCM
  • Sad 1

Plan 1   Try speaking to them.

If Plan 1 didn't work go on to plan 2

Plan 2 You need some heavy metal music and a good sound system, get the speakers as close to the adjoining boundary as you can when his sound system starts up turn on your music to full blast, keep this up until he gets the message.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There is nothing in a Thai village for a white guy except madness, excess alcohol and despair..

But for a Thai wife, there is gambling, former lovers/husbands, relatives and all sorts of potential naughtiness.

Best for a foreigner to live somewhere far away (with or without the Thai wife).

Thats a good reason not to marry a Thai

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Just change the design of your house to make it a better, louder venue with better looking girls and cheaper drinks and buy him out when he goes broke…

Narrowing things down to that......beer and food at cost, free karaoke.........do that for two or three months.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You obviously don't understand what I was saying.

My advice on this thread, along with many others, is based on the idea that the music is so loud it is deafening. Advice that becomes inane if the music is only " audiable".

Not sure how you get to me making problems in others lives.

3am you say? Did you not comment that your wife is there during the day. That is how you know the music is on? Not sure your wife will be managing the build at 3am. 

It appears you need to clarify the situation. Some of your posts contradict others.

Don't be a knob all your life.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bojo said:

Without a shadow of doubt, it's a typical cunning Thai move (they're kinda good at this)..................You have a couple of options.....................and the outcome will depend alot on whether your wife has already made a complaint or talked to absolutely anyone about this issue........................if she has, your chances of quick success are lessened. You gotta remain nonchalent........................

Option 1. Carry on with the build as if nothing is bothering you

Option 2. Stop building for now (you're obviously living elsewhere at the mo anyway)

You could also consider; once built, giving to a family for free until the problem goes away......................Eventually, the problem will go away anyway

You could try to buy/lease the problem land as a buffer at a later date, through a proxy  perhaps the best approach.

The helpful sound proofing options suggested by many will help, but won't solve the problem. Depending on the size of the land my soundproofing would be an earth mover making a mound along the border and reaarranging the build so that any outdoor terrace areas are facing away from sound source..............

I wish you all the best, not an easy time for you, but patience will prevail I'm sure.

Thanks for taking the time to make those suggestions.

6 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Neighbor Wars can be fun to watch. Check YouTube.

But seriously, you don’t need the stress. 
The answer? Open a competing pub and charge less, even selling drinks below cost would be a good investment until you drive him out of business. 

Definitely thinking along those lines now....keep it all low key, sell at cost and just drive him out of business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

We have bought land, ready to build out here in rural Khon Kaen.

When we bought the land, 3/4 rai, there was a little slither of land next door, 5m wide that ran the whole length of our land. It's a strange piece, it has been raised 3m above the rest of the land, earth had been piled up against the other neighbours wall. I had an idea that we would have to build a high and strong retaining wall, as the moment they started to drive machinery on site the wall might collapse. If they did build something, what would they build on a 5 x 50m strip of land on a quiet village lane in Issan ? worker cottages? the occupants would have a great vantage point of our house, potential burglars would just be able to drop down onto our land with ease.

About 4 months after our purchase, the seller came from the woodwork, who was desperate to pay some bills and we negotiated a decent and fair price.

Now having lived in the village for 4 months and gaining confidence from locals we are hearing stories, that after we bought the first piece of land, a few villagers were scrambling to buy the slither of land next door. Both pieces of land had been unoccupied for many years, ours was taken as a debt, no one was ever interested in the slice next to us, it was always rice land waiting to be developed.

We were told the plan in buying the slice was so that someone could resell it back to us at a highly inflated price or guessing, some trick like your neighbor maybe pulling.

Im not saying there is a conspiracy with everything land purchase by westerners in Thailand, but village people do notice when westerners buy land, and there were clear motives in this case to buy the neighbouring land. When we bought the original land, of course, we did want to buy the slither, but it wasn't high on my priorities, I was thinking I could rent it to grow something on, but my hand was forced, luckily someone unconnected contacted us, or else we would have been out of the game, open to a stitch-up.

Hoping some can learn from that story .. I wish to give my support to OP, its alright for others to say "rent, not buy in Thailand" but having spent great lengths of time "homeless", living out of a bag for the duration of jobs around the world, I just want a nice place to run out the rest of my days. It seems an important thing for the Thai wife too, they want a place that they can settle in, never pay rent, where they are speak the local dialect, etc .. Hope it all works out.

Thanks for that background.....it is beginning to look like we have the situation you've described. 

It is absolutely soul destroying.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Most expats that I have seen fail in a village have done so because the did not meet half way on anything.

A town with all the usual shopping facilities not that far away.

My woman's village is 15Km down a dirt road to the nearest 7-11.

A short drive from a major town isn't what most of us experience in our woman's village.

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

3am you say? Did you not comment that your wife is there during the day. That is how you know the music is on? Not sure your wife will be managing the build at 3am. 

Yep.....that bit really helped.

A few years back my neighbor played some music for me. Was it loud? a little perhaps. A Thai lady to houses further up called the police and complained over he played loud music. The Police came but he only had plaed that one song so there was no loud music anymore. Hoever they told him about the complaint and he should not do it again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My woman's village is 15Km down a dirt road to the nearest 7-11.

A short drive from a major town isn't want most of us experience in our woman's village.

Not far away meaning about 13kms. 

Besides, how does location affect how much one's wife would gamble, drink and <deleted> other men?

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1