A nightmare is unfolding.....

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I did suggest to the wife, if we went down that road we would have to ensure he signs a contract to not set up within 2km, say.......so his BIL sets up instead?????????

Exactly or someone else!! But would he sign such a contract? Doubt it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've read many of your comments, you comment regularly. 

But I have never read anything positive or constructive from you. 

Anyway, all this best if this post is true, not something I would like to experience. 

Seems pointless posting a thread asking for positive or constructive comments and then telling everyone I already know what the constructive and positive things to do actually are!

You amaze me......why would I make something like this up?.......just so I can spend hours making the effort to respond to everyone, which I feel is everyone's duty if they post a thread of this nature.

Thanks for your positive and constructive comment anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Just have a massive pile of cow manure delivered to the front of your house and leave it there. Two can play that game, I bet no one will go to their cafe if there is a strong smell of manure wafting over! 

Industrial blower???

• Like 1

50 years ago when I first moved to New Mexico a few of my co-workers moved out into the hills to get away from the crime and noise in the city.Twenty years later they were moving back to the city. The city and all its problems had come to the country.

• Sad 1

Just now, RafPinto said:

She must be building a castle.

You said that your wife is using all her hard earned money and later you said 8 million Baht?

In the middle of nowhere, that must be a stunner.

She bought the land, must be about three acres (guessing) and she is building, or was intending to build, four or five 'resort' rooms on the same plot as the house, possibly with a swimming pool and build the business up from there.....add a breakfast room, even a bar??? etc.

Although it is currently out in the sticks, it is expected to develop somewhat in terms of domestic tourism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pdavies99 said:

Easy...quietly dump animal poo around the place and the roof! 

A few weeks and he will give up!

Retribution is a word that springs to mind......and stops me from being too rash (for now at least).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

She bought the land, must be about three acres (guessing) and she is building, or was intending to build, four or five 'resort' rooms on the same plot as the house, possibly with a swimming pool and build the business up from there.....add a breakfast room, even a bar??? etc.

Although it is currently out in the sticks, it is expected to develop somewhat in terms of domestic tourism.

Good idea. Then the karaoke bloke next door will have more customers and they can rent your rooms to <deleted> the karaoke girls.

Everyone's a winner. ????????????????????

• Haha 2

Just my two pennies worth, how well do you get on with the wife's family ? Maybe get a sister or mum & dad or someone similar to live at the place, you can spend a while living away somewhere else & once the karaoke muppet realises that your wife and family will be living at the place he will realise his mistake and shut his coffee shack down and move on.

If he thought a rich farang paid for everything then let it be known that your wife earnt & saved the money from a well paid job in Germany.

Any chance you could post a photo of his place so people can assess the problem facing you.

Like I said just my thoughts, I do feel sorry for you, very much so.

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

Just my two pennies worth, how well do you get on with the wife's family ? Maybe get a sister or mum & dad or someone similar to live at the place, you can spend a while living away somewhere else & once the karaoke muppet realises that your wife and family will be living at the place he will realise his mistake and shut his coffee shack down and move on.

If he thought a rich farang paid for everything then let it be known that your wife earnt & saved the money from a well paid job in Germany.

Any chance you could post a photo of his place so people can assess the problem facing you.

Like I said just my thoughts, I do feel sorry for you, very much so.

Cheers, thanks for that.

I certainly think that if we ever move in and then travel anywhere it would be a good idea to have her family live there.......as long as they promise to move back out!!!

• Like 1

Has the Cafe opened yet? Or is it a Karaoke place? Is it a restaurant? Is it just open for lunch? Is it open all night? Is he going to cater to weddings and special occassions?

I think you need more information.

If the location sucks, and the guy has sunk a lot of money into the place, then he will go bust eventually. But it might take a year.

There is no point in spending money on noise mitigation measures or trying to outdo the bloke. 

A piggery, or storing wet waste next door, might work if the place is a daytime cafe reliant on passing trade, but such a business is unlikely to play loud music. Lunch customers generally want to talk amongst themselves.

An all night karaoke place won't be deterred by any smell or unsightly waste. The customers simply don't care. But I find it hard to believe a new karaoke place would be opening. All the ones in my part of Isan have closed down becasue of Covid. They won't reopen until all Covid restrictions are long gone, if ever.

What I'm trying to say is there is nothing you can do except go ahead with your plans. Maybe the worst won't happen. Maybe it will. If it does maybe you can wait him out. He'll go out of business and leave, or finally <deleted> off the wrong person and get shot or something. If worst come to worst maybe you won't be able to live there for a year or so until he is gone. 

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I assume there no zoning laws for residential or businesses or industrial like in other countries.

Maybe make him an offer to buy the business or to keep sound down. I can't imagine he'd get much business in the middle of nowhere so maybe it will stop of it's own accord.  

If he isn't cooperative is there something you can put nearby on your side of the land to dissuade him. Some waste or something. 

My first thought was an equal sound system playing Bach or Wagner …

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

Has the Cafe opened yet? Or is it a Karaoke place? Is it a restaurant? Is it just open for lunch? Is it open all night? Is he going to cater to weddings and special occassions?

I think you need more information.

If the location sucks, and the guy has sunk a lot of money into the place, then he will go bust eventually. But it might take a year.

There is no point in spending money on noise mitigation measures or trying to outdo the bloke. 

A piggery, or storing wet waste next door, might work if the place is a daytime cafe reliant on passing trade, but such a business is unlikely to play loud music. Lunch customers generally want to talk amongst themselves.

An all night karaoke place won't be deterred by any smell or unsightly waste. The customers simply don't care. But I find it hard to believe a new karaoke place would be opening. All the ones in my part of Isan have closed down becasue of Covid. They won't reopen until all Covid restrictions are long gone, if ever.

What I'm trying to say is there is nothing you can do except go ahead with your plans. Maybe the worst won't happen. Maybe it will. If it does maybe you can wait him out. He'll go out of business and leave, or get shot or something. If worst come to worst maybe you won't be able to live there for a year or so. 

It is a pretty ramshackle place that is there to make money in anyway it can I guess.....beer, food, karaoke.....you name it.

I am warming to the idea of simply doing the same, food, beer etc, but at cost, or even subsidized, to drive him out of business.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, bbko said:

Make your nightmare his nightmare, Thais are very superstitious, use that to your advantage and play spooky Halloween music.

I did something similar. One of those construction camps set up next door to us. They would start up one of those so-called music trucks every evening. Very annoying. I noted that there were several families in the encampment with toddlers. I set up some outdoor speakers and pointed them their way. I would put AC/DC's Back in Black album on at full volume and let it play until about 02:00 AM for a few nights. They refrained from using their music trucks going forward.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

The guy next to me has bought a cockerel that’s bad enough but a disco no thanks  I think I would be paying a few policemen to pay him a visit 

Wait till he get many cockerel's (using them for fighting cocks) and then you also will have problem. And unfortunately even with the Thai Animal Laws in place this is afaik STILL allowed!!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

It is a pretty ramshackle place that is there to make money in anyway it can I guess.....beer, food, karaoke.....you name it.

I am warming to the idea of simply doing the same, food, beer etc, but at cost, or even subsidized, to drive him out of business.

I think that is a good idea. If your wife or relative opens a small cafe, coffee shop or restaurant then you keep your options open. It doesn't have to be capital intensive, but just to establish a presence. The new guy is more likely to reach a compromise with a Thai business next door because it will benefit them both.

If he turns out to be an absolute <deleted>, then a small business gives your wife negotiating power with the police and local council to shut him down becasue he is ruining your business.

At the very least it gives you more options.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 2

There simply is nothing YOU can do to convince or coerce the guy to do the right thing.  I believe you need to try to find neighboring Thai people who are also bothered by the noise.  They may be able to do something.  If there are none, or they are unable or unwilling to, then it's hopeless.

I suspect paying the guy to turn the noise down, or relocate, or sell out to you will only result in what always results from what is essentially blackmail (or a protection racket).  Down the road, he or someone else will do the same and expect payment again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

I think that is a good idea. If your wife or relative opens a small cafe, coffee shop or restaurant then you keep your options open. It doesn't have to be capital intensive, but just to establish a presence. The new guy is more likely to reach a compromise with a Thai business next door because it will benefit them both.

If he turns out to be an absolute <deleted>, then a small business gives your wife negotiating power with the police and local council to shut him down becasue he is ruining your business.

Yes.....I was thinking her female cousins from the village could help run it with her......I have no intentions of being seen to be part of the mix.......a definite possibility!!!

5 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes have to account for prevailing wind but then again there are always fans to help push it in the correct direction. 

555555555 using fans against natural wind! You must be joking ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JTXR said:

There simply is nothing YOU can do to convince or coerce the guy to do the right thing.  I believe you need to try to find neighboring Thai people who are also bothered by the noise.  They may be able to do something.  If there are none, or they are unable or unwilling to, then it's hopeless.

I suspect paying the guy to turn the noise down, or relocate, or sell out to you will only result in what always results from what is essentially blackmail (or a protection racket).  Down the road, he or someone else will do the same and expect payment again.

Yes.....I thought the same....pay him off and bang......there is another chancer waiting his turn. Not the way to go

• Like 1