฿130m ‘stolen’ from over 10,000 Thai bank accounts in just four days

snoop1130

I was not hit, but because I maintained a relatively large balance I was concerned. 

So I called Kasikorn bank to cancel the debit card linked to that account. 

The agent I spoke with was fluent in English and very helpful.

He said , not nessacery to cancel the debit card, Simply go to your app on your phone and  set the debit card transactions amount to Zero. 

Then if you ever want to use your debit card, you can go back to your phone app and set it to the desired amount, and after you complete that one transaction, set it back to zero again. 

What do you all think? 

Edited by sirineou

Thailand has a primitive banking system for something that could have been easily prevented….unacceptable 

why do they need to say refund….since it’s the banking system that allowed this breach, refund is a given….

My guess - inside job by banking employees knowing the weaknesses and flaws of the system

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

No, any debit card or credit card linked to your savings account  whether it's been used recently or not. And certainly not solely related to any recent online purchases (of any )

BBL send me SMS messages for any transaction and a weekly account balance every Monday morning. 

Thanks for the response. I clarify that I do not have a debit card or credit card linked to my Thai bank account; I only have an ATM card.

13 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Never give a Thai a microphone!

My niece and her husband run a small business. They usually have three or four employees, usually paid daily, no other benefits. Part of the traditional Thai patron/client culture requires them to treat their loyal workers to parties on their birthdays. What I hate is when they crank up the karaoke machine to 11, because they think the neighbor half a mile away would enjoy the music, too.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:22 AM, thailand49 said:

A good example!  Thailand banks upgrade your security system number one reason I'm uncomfortable in putting more money in their banks than I need!  When it comes to getting a refund it is like putting teeth her

Put your money in an online. Bank account, can not be withdrawn only transferred  into an account in your name. So you will need two accounts one to transfer the money into . I have both.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:26 AM, sirineou said:

I was not hit, but because I maintained a relatively large balance I was concerned. 

So I called Kasikorn bank to cancel the debit card linked to that account. 

The agent I spoke with was fluent in English and very helpful.

He said , not nessacery to cancel the debit card, Simply go to your app on your phone and  set the debit card transactions amount to Zero. 

Then if you ever want to use your debit card, you can go back to your phone app and set it to the desired amount, and after you complete that one transaction, set it back to zero again. 

What do you all think? 

That sounds like a good plan to me. I checked with my bank earlier today Thai time. All is good; my account balance is the same as it has been for 4 years. I note that I have an ATM-only card; I do not have a debit or credit card on my account. I think that makes a difference unless this hacking involves an inside job that can get at any account, regardless of there being debit/credit cards on an account.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, WingFat said:

Thanks for the response. I clarify that I do not have a debit card or credit card linked to my Thai bank account; I only have an ATM card.

Is the ATM card not also a debit card?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is the ATM card not also a debit card?

No, it is not. A debit card is a sort of hybrid between a credit card and an ATM card, in that a credit card company Visa, MasterCard, etc will handle the transaction from a direct debit from the account the card is tied to. My card is specific to state it is an ATM card. If it is a debit card, it will state that it is a debit card on the card. Although a debit card can also function as an ATM card as well as a card that can transact purchases from a retailer, restaurant, gas station, as well as from an ATM. But a stated ATM card cannot be used as a stated debit card.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, sambum said:

You don't know the poster very well do you? He's a well known:- image.jpeg.405ae0a5748e422b52fbdb2f6054fc11.jpeg

An asshat is an asshat, professional or otherwise. It doesn't take much time out of my day either way.

Besides, I quite enjoy stepping on toes myself.

Edited by n00dle

13 hours ago, WingFat said:

No, it is not. A debit card is a sort of hybrid between a credit card and an ATM card, in that a credit card company Visa, MasterCard, etc will handle the transaction from a direct debit from the account the card is tied to. My card is specific to state it is an ATM card. If it is a debit card, it will state that it is a debit card on the card. Although a debit card can also function as an ATM card as well as a card that can transact purchases from a retailer, restaurant, gas station, as well as from an ATM. But a stated ATM card cannot be used as a stated debit card.

My card was ATM only, originally:

1133018410_ATMonly.jpg.4bcc1ce1a7a83029468d18e7902dc48d.jpg

Then they added all sorts of stuff that I never use:

299032503_LatestATM.jpg.f6b24cc539172daf36d5a6b9a956061f.jpg

8 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

My card was ATM only, originally:

1133018410_ATMonly.jpg.4bcc1ce1a7a83029468d18e7902dc48d.jpg

Then they added all sorts of stuff that I never use:

299032503_LatestATM.jpg.f6b24cc539172daf36d5a6b9a956061f.jpg

Mine looks nothing like your's, probably because mine is about 6-7 years old, does not have a chip in it and it is not affiliated with Visa, Mastercard or any other credit card company. Mine is strictly for ATM use only.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:51 AM, internationalism said:

so they know exactly account numbers and exact amounts, but not refund until proven they didn't spend it 

They can prove this easily as the transaction origin is overseas, happened to me, after purchasing an airline ticket, 3 transactions were made later that day but came from a USA department store, the bank rang me before I noticed it. They re versed the transactions and sent me a new card.