Getting Help for Depression

Adumbration

Are antidepressant medications available over the counter here in Thailand?

I managed to get Trazodone for my dysthymia in _some_ pharmacies. Others would strictly refuse to sell...

The prices would also differ dramatically - 20 USD for 3 month supply of a generic in a pharmacy in Udon (been buying from them ever since) - compared to 150 USD for a similar supply in Bangkok Hospital or 70 USD in a pharmacy in Bangkok. So if money is an issue, it's good to search a bit.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for your input.

I do not have any issue sleeping.

However I am suffering from fatigue, brain fog, utter lack of motivation.

Some of this I am sure is psychological overlay.  I have a chronic genetic blood disease for which that is no cure no medication.  I also can barely walk due to the development of mortons neuroma in my left foot.

Much is due to life problems.  No family support whatsoever.  No income. 

So already depressed before Delta came along.  But it was definitely the icing on the cake.

We were barricaded into our village for 21 days and were not even allowed out to buy food.

Had to live off tinned fish and boiled rice.

The travel bans have precluded me from getting to a decent hospital or doctor in Phuket.

However the bridge is now open apparently in the last few days.

Never taken antidepressants before.  I grew up poor and was told to get on with it.

Looking back now with time to reflect I am sure there was clearly defined periods where I was significantly hobbled with depression....but I never sought help...

I am at the stage now where I have to write a to do list and a flow chart just to complete the task required each day.

My current situation is not sustainable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It sounds like you have a good bit of awareness of the how and why of your current mental health situation. I think that's good, the ability to step back and the wisdom to know that it's time to try for some change. I had similar feelings and lack of motivation which is when I first took Wellbutrin, among doing other things to help myself. I took 150mg/day and did not feel much for two weeks or so and then gradually the glass started to seem half full instead of half empty. What was nice, I think, is that I felt totally myself, not drugged or numb at all. Just, as I said, the glass was suddenly half full instead of half empty. In a way, it's not much change but at the same time, it's huge. Do some research and consider it. Here it's about 1600 baht for 30 pills, I believe, so 30 days if you're taking just one. And again I would suggest the book I mentioned above. You can find lots of info on it online. ...Might not be your thing, might turn you off, who knows. It really helped and helps me. Don't get lost in the author's online presence now or it might make you feel negative about the book or the insight. Also, I think any podcast or books on astrophysics are so mind blowing that you can't help but get out of your own head. I know, sounds weird but when they start talking about time not existing or going back in time or the whole universe being squashed down into a pin head (smaller!) by a black hole, anti-matter, all this insane stuff, well, your problems can seem a lot less like a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sheryl.  I am located in a rural area of Phang Nga province.

I am homozygous c282y and have missed a number of my phlebotomies due to lockdowns and travel restrictions.  I requested a letter (by email) from the treating doctor and tried to use it to get through roadblocks but was refused.  The bridge at Phuket has apparently reopened in the last few days so I should be able to catch up.

I have not been able to access a lab for ages that could check my serum ferritin and ferritin transferance.  I can now get that done in Anda lab in Phuket town hopefully.

A more pressing concern is that I have a morton's neuroma in my left foot.  I have not had access to proper facilities for detailed diagnosis, tried all available facilities and doctors in this area and they were all just twits.

I have researched this matter online and am 100% sure this is the problem.  I have flat feet and a morgans toe.  I ordered some arch support inserts for my shoes and had have a marginal improvement.  But still have peripheral numbness in my toes.  From what I have researched online all of my symptoms are an exact fit.  Even the pebble underfoot or scrunched up sock feeling when walking in my shoes.

Sheryl do you know of a doctor in phuket that would be able to properly diagnose and treat my foot.  Also I have read lots regarding cortisone injections but apparently this is just short term fix.  I note that surgery to remove the tumor must be guided by MRI.  Would that type of technology even be available here? 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No. You can NOT self medicate for depression in any valid way. That is what junkies, pot heads and alcholics are doing. It's not wrong but don't deceive yourself.

Thanks for your input.  I do not drink and, with the exception of a few times as a student, have never used recreational drugs.  I do not smoke, am not overweight, and despite my health concerns am pretty fit for my age (mid fifties).

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

Thanks for your input.  I do not drink and, with the exception of a few times as a student, have never used recreational drugs.  I do not smoke, am not overweight, and despite my health concerns am pretty fit for my age (mid fifties).

That is my point. You are using a different drug. I make no moral judgement. But buying a prescription drug to make you happy is no different than getting high off a street drug. This is precisely the problem in the USA. Once you self medicate you are effectively using drugs for recreational purposes. Valium, Xanax, prescription opiates etc, become recreational when self medicated. You are taking the drugs to make you happy not to address the source of your illness and have no plan to stop taking the drugs  nor receiving counseling, medical support or therapy. In other words: drug abuse.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'm currently winning (just about) my battle, which while being self-medicated, was not all self.

Good support is vital, my wife is my 'June Carter' and helps me to walk my line but I also had to talk to a few of my co-workers about my condition.

I wake up every day now and say to myself "try your best to make today a positive day" and I then carry that out, just trying my best.

At the moment that seems to be working for me.

I don't know whether I am just on a rise and if I will sink again but at the moment I am trying.

To all fellow sufferers on here,  I really hope that you get through you dark period.

I found that it helps you to talk with someone who has been there but most important is to talk to your loved ones about it.

• Like 2

@bamboozledThank you for your quality response and genuine interest in trying to help me.

Mindset is important in all facets of ones life.  However the triggers for my depression primarily arise out of what might be referred to as structural issues.

No amount of mindset will resolve the fact I have a chronic genetic blood disease for which there is no cure.  No amount of mindset will resolve the fact I have no family to rely upon back in my home country. 

You get the picture.

Thanks again for your input and please continue to provide your comments.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

No amount of mindset will resolve the fact I have a chronic genetic blood disease for which there is no cure.

Not wishing to delve too deep but does this affect your day to day activity like walking or...

If it is going to shorten your life then I'm sorry but you should have picked your parents better.????

I don't consider myself clinically depressed but I do get bored sometimes. Or maybe, more, suffer from lack of enthusiasm. My wife says go for a walk but I've been there before.????

Usually cured by meeting a mate(s) somewhere. 

@Sheryl Thank you for taking the time to draft a lengthy and detailed response.  Your input and assistance in much appreciated.

I live here in the boondocks because my partner worked in the 5 star properties located on a nearby beachfront.  She has not had a single hour of work now for nearly two years.  We have a  tiny house here in a beachside village and before covid life was simple and straightforward. The ocean is a genuine source of joy for me and has helped with my mental and physical health more throughout my life than any practitioner ever can.

There are significant risks arising out of where I live, and a stark light was shone upon them by the arrival of the delta strain.  But relocation to Grungthep will never be on the cards.

As you would know, when I get my bloods done there is focus upon serum ferritin and ferritin transferance as well as liver function.  Is there any other specific tests you think I should include to shed some light on my neuroma and associated neuropathy?

Yes.  Self medication may well be the endeavor of a fool.  But I must offer the Latin phrase "si trabis in naufragio" in my defense.  With that said, do you think Wellbutrin is an acceptable starting point.

Could you please let me have some approximate costs for:

1. Consultations with psychiatrist and therapists in Bangkok
  2. Consultation with Prof Bavorn
  3. Consulation with Ben Weinstein
  4. Consultation with Dr Janenawasin

And yes, can you please provide you suggestion for a hematologist.

Thank you for your kind support and valuable input.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

If it is going to shorten your life then I'm sorry but you should have picked your parents better.????

The most valuable life advice you can give anyone is to choose their parents wisely.

My mother died of cancer when I was 14.  My worthless alcoholic father ran off with the next door neighbour's wife about six months before mum died and left me to fend for myself.

I have read extensively on the topic of "father hunger" to properly understand my own condition.

My father is about to die in the next few weeks.  Good riddance to him.  But that is another issue feeding into my current mental state.

• Sad 1

@bert got kinky

Thanks very much for sharing your story and your kind words.  I wish you all the best.  I literally have a road map I have drafted hanging on the wall in front of my computer.  There is a work flow of each of the 29 problems I am currently facing in my life.

I started this post as a way to reach out and engage with others such as yourself and will keep you updated on my progress success and failures.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you think I can offer you any help or support.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

No amount of mindset will resolve the fact I have no family to rely upon back in my home country. 

I do have family back in the States. 

I can't count on them for anything other than large doses of judgment.

But, I have a friend in the States, and one here in Thailand, that I could count on for anything. 

In fact, one of them was about to kill himself several years ago, when we met right here, on Thai Visa, he asking how to get to Thailand (a last ditch effort to prevent suicide) and how to bring his dog (who gave him comfort). I responded to his post. He drove to the airport, left his car in the parking garage, and was here two days later. The rest is history. 

If you are in a very rural atmosphere, might it be you are missing out on such a potential friendship? You certainly sound like a very decent guy with a strong mind; I can't imagine any difficulty in your finding friends like mine, though it might take some time.

I wish you the best.

• Like 2