Agent has done a runner

So my agent / property manager has done a runner. Apparently 25 or more units in my building have been affected. What she (and others) did was get people to pay 6 months up front and basically not pass any of it onto the owners (who are mostly in China)

I didn’t pay 6 months up front, but my deposit has gone and the rent has not been going to the owner. Some people have been asked to leave due to non Paying of rent.

ive been told by an agent I need to go and file a police report, but they won’t do anything as the agreement is between me and the property manager. 

As far as I’m concerned I have a contract, and proof of payment of deposit and rent each month. But if the owner says I have to leave, do I have a legal

Leg to stand on? 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I would insist the owner reimburse before leaving. 

The main problem is between the owner and the agent and the owner has to recover their money from the missing agent.

If the owner is making problem then get a lawyer involved and let the owner deal with Thai legal system and the tax office.

Yes, but the issue there is that the owner is in China and there is really no way of me getting anything out of him unless he is feeling generous. 

He might as well just write it off and turf me out, as he can’t do anything to the agent from there 

1 minute ago, Gsxrnz said:

Ok, well done on getting the ID card details.  Many don't know the significance of that information.  I guess you could make a case with the police but it's doubtful they'll take it far on its own

The media exposure may make them stop scratching and get off the backsides.

I was thinking of not even going to the police, as there really isn’t anything in it for them.

I had a funny feeling about this agent all along, something was never quite right, but Juristic said she was legit and had lots of tenants in that building.

to be honest, I think the whole thing stinks and regret leaving BKK for Pattaya 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I don't think he can just do that, what does your contract say about this?

He contracted the agent to act on his behalf and on his terms and conditions, if you have met your side of the contract the you are fully within your rights to stay in the apartment for the agreed amount and period and payment terms and conditions.

First step is to report the incident to the police and then maybe initiate a brief discussion with a lawyer.

Contract is between me and the property manager. I guess that’s the problem here, she breaks the contract and does a runner and im left without anything between me and the owner.

should have gone with my gut and walked away from this before signing. 

im used to dealing with owners direct in BKK rather than dodgy crooks in Pattaya  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Yes I think that’s good advice. Forget it

it’s only 20K

I can’t wait to get away from the cess pool of Pattaya, frankly. I tried it for a while and did not like it much. All the boring dodgy people everywhere 

back to civilisation I think (Bangkok) 

Next time just do a monthly rent through Airbnb. It may be even cheaper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

With you on that.....love Bangkok......and I am not a "city person" particularly.

The only thing is Patterz used to have some great Russian restaurants and the food in general wasn't bad or expensive. I wonder if russkies prevailed or packed up and left

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

The only thing is Patterz used to have some great Russian restaurants and the food in general wasn't bad or expensive. I wonder if russkies prevailed or packed up and left

I used to love a couple of great ones in NaKluea, both real homely inside with great food 

last time I walked past they were gone for good 

caravan is still open, and it’s still great 

• Thanks 1

I've rented condos thrice in Bangkok in total for 3 years +.

First: The owner returned unexpectedly from the US and gave me 48 hours to vacate then he informed the police I hadn't paid rent for 3 months. I had receipts from his agent and was 1 month in advance. It made no difference have contract and receipts I complained he laughed and he turned off the water and electrify. The next wanted to sell the condo again I have a contract and receipts. My son rang me 8.30 pm when I was shopping. Without notice on a Friday night the water and electricity turned off. They make the rules. I

The third one I rented, after two weeks the owner accused me of switching the expensive batteries in the TV remote for cheap ones. All 3 had one thing in common their ethnicity abmnd not exactly Thai...

Edited by Nip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

it’s only 20K

20k ..  Lol   ........  it's not worth the hassle.  A lawyer will cost you 3 x that,  and the contract is between you and the agent.

sorry,  but I seriously doubt the police will do much except file a case.  The agent is probably long gone by now anyway,  probably on some beach in Vietnam or wherever.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

lots of people in my building are in the same boat as me, actually most are in much worse as they paid all upfront. 

It might carry more weight with the police if you all get together. In Thailand it is now possible to make a class action against someone.