Jump to content

60 day tourist visa for Belgian citizen - what a horror!


Recommended Posts

Dear guys, 

 

Just want to share my experience. I'm a Belgian citizen and after the news on Friday, I decided to book a ticket, arrival January 4th 2022, return flight 3nd of March 2022. 

As this is longer than the regular 30 day Visa on Arrival, I try to apply for a tourist visa. 

Surprise, surprise: due to the covid situation, you are required to book an appointment with the embassy. I'm taking things so much in advance, 2 months and 1 week in advance. 

No appointment bookings possible before beginning of January?????? I cannot believe it. 

Then I try to find out more about what is going on. On the Thai embassy of The Netherlands, they specified that you can do an e-visa application starting from end of November. But I have no news about Belgium. 

I tried to do an e-visa on https://www.thaievisa.go.th/ and it just tells I'm not eligible to apply through the e-visa system. I have to go to the Thai Consulate. I'm not sure what will happen now. Do any of you guys have any more information on this issue. 

Who applies for a visa, 2,5 months in forehand? This is totally crazy. 

What are the rules now for the Visa on Arrival. Some websites indicate that this is now 45 days? Is it true? If it is the case, can I extend this Visa on Arrival? 

 

Anyone has any idea's on this issue? 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Salerno said:

No, it's outdated - back to 30 days now and yes you can extend for 30 days (and before anyone else jumps in, it's visa exempt not visa on arrival which is a totally different beast).

Be interesting to know though if you have to show a departing flight on your booking on the health pass , which then would not match your 30 days on arrival. And if you can argue the point you are intending to extend it. If it's just the arrival flight that would be great. I dont know if health passes are refused for no 2nd flight. Anyone ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a refundable single flight out of thailand within the 30 days, extend for 30 days within thailand. If a few days difference pay overstay fine 500B daily and not get caught. OR get a visa.

 

But I understood so far a visa is required to get the paperwork done to go in the first place? Or is that outdated too?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Be interesting to know though if you have to show a departing flight on your booking on the health pass , which then would not match your 30 days on arrival. And if you can argue the point you are intending to extend it. If it's just the arrival flight that would be great. I dont know if health passes are refused for no 2nd flight. Anyone ?

I "believe" you'll have to show an onward flight within the 3o days - the fact you can extend has never been taken into account previously, doubt it will now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

But I understood so far a visa is required to get the paperwork done to go in the first place? Or is that outdated too?

No visa for entering visa exempt so obviously nothing to upload if entering that way, just choose it in the dropdown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I "believe" you'll have to show an onward flight within the 3o days - the fact you can extend has never been taken into account previously, doubt it will now.

That will mean the poster having to amend his flight now to be within the 30 days and then having to amend it again on arrival to fly in march - airline I would imagine would not agree to amending it twice

 

What about if you intended to leave via the border and not fly on ? Are you now banned from crossing a border to another country ? What happens if you are travelling by land say from Cambodia, how can you get a health pass by land if you need supply air tickets ? I cannot see Thailand imposing a border ban on all air travellers - but what do i know. 

Edited by RichardColeman
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I "believe" you'll have to show an onward flight within the 3o days - the fact you can extend has never been taken into account previously, doubt it will now.

I entered in January with 60 days TR visa and my onward ticket was timed for 30 days extension, so it worked for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are in Thailand for 60 days ? Just go visa exempt and extend it for one month in Thailand ?
Am’i right with this ?
Do you already have your ticket. ? Check with your airline if you can change your return date , ( don’t mention when )  I always take a Flex option with mine that permits me to change the date for a fee.  
When you book with most airlines you get options, economy , flex , business , 1st class. Always choose the one where you can change dates for a fee. Also check the validity of your ticket. Cheap ones are usually only good for a month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gearbox said:

I entered in January with 60 days TR visa and my onward ticket was timed for 30 days extension, so it worked for me.

Tourist visa is different, you can even enter with a one-way ticket; no idea what the logic behind it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, my advice is to enter visa exempt and get a 30 days extension, there were heaps of these "covid extensions" as well, so you may be able to extend to March and beyond. Furthermore there are rumours that Cambodia may allow vaccinated travellers from Thailand without a quarantine, so you may be able to go to Cambodia and enter Thailand again on visa exempt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ps, as mentioned above, buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand that you need not use. Example a BKK Phnom Penh , or Singapore  , depending where you are staying. This is only for your airline from Belgium when you check in.  Thai Immigration has never asked me for one , but you never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Tourist visa is different, you can even enter with a one-way ticket; no idea what the logic behind it is.

But can you still do that now ,. ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Tourist visa is different, you can even enter with a one-way ticket; no idea what the logic behind it is.

I entered with a return ticket (2 x one way tickets), but my return ticket was timed for 60 days TR visa + 30 days extension. In the end I got non-O retirement and cancelled my return leg for free.

 

No issues with the CoE.

Edited by gearbox
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gearbox said:

I entered with a return ticket (2 x one way tickets), but my return ticket was timed for 60 days TR visa + 30 days extension.

Did you have to upload a return for the COE or did you just do it to be on the safe side?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Did you have to upload a return for the COE or did you just do it to be on the safe side?

I did it to be on the safe side..the murky waters early this year. It was a Qantas FF ticket which I could cancel for free, so no risk and effort.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gearbox said:

I did it to be on the safe side..the murky waters early this year.

Yeah, fair enough, not the time to be messing around. Was just curious if they had asked for it and then accepted it based on being able to extend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that 2 posters had no issues with Flights booked within the 60 (+30 days extension) tourist visa window with some Embassies ,but what would be the position/experience if I want to cover 4 months stay, and book return flights for those 4 months (anticipating a quick trip out and back within the 90 days to "extend" the visa validity, to cover the whole 4 months?)

 

Edited by stuarty
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Yeah, fair enough, not the time to be messing around. Was just curious if they had asked for it and then accepted it based on being able to extend. 

These are no times to be messing with the airlines and the immigration. When I was flying out of Samui a guy next to me was denied boarding with Etihad. I know for at least one person who was sent back from Abu Dhabi to Europe for not proper paperwork and complying with the regulations.

I was almost denied mid this year boarding with Etihad for Samui to Istanbul flight. I like Istanbul and always spend a few days there, so my ticket was to Istanbul and I planned to go onward from there to Europe. My return flight was more than 90 days later...and none of my passports allowed me to stay more than 90 days in Turkey. A bit of miscalculation. And I didn't bother to buy onward ticket beforehand. The only thing it saved me was that they checked in and loaded my baggage already...I had to promise I'll buy an onward ticket asap when the plane lands in Bangkok.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did check the Embassy website , since i am from Belgium also . I think it is better to call them and tell them you want to come 4th Jan , with tourist visa . The phone nr is on the website . If not possible for making a call , send them a email ( i'd rather call ...) .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stuarty said:

I get that 2 posters had no issues with Flights booked within the 60 (+30 days extension) tourist visa window with some Embassies ,but what would be the position/experience if I want to cover 4 months stay, and book return flights for those 4 months (anticipating a quick trip out and back within the 90 days to "extend" the visa validity, to cover the whole 4 months?)

 

From my experience it would be OK with the embassies, you can always tell some BS if asked, for example that you intend to get a non-O visa during your stay. It is the airlines which are the obstacles, and that's logical...they need to bring you back at their expense if the immigration denies you entry.

 

But in the case of entry to Thailand IMO it should be OK, as you'll be already approved to enter and the airlines shouldn't be liable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I had to promise I'll buy an onward ticket asap when the plane lands in Bangkok.

Personally never really had a problem as never had enough time off for it to be an issue (been asked to show a ticket ... 3 times up to now ... when I had one way into Bangkok but as I had flights with other airlines out I could show, not an issue). But, one trip, the guy at the check-in next to me was was kicking up a ruckus as I was walking up to my check-in. Last I heard as I was heading off was him loudly declaring "Satisfied now!" as he held up his phone so the check in dude could confirm he'd just bought a ticket there and then 555

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Salerno said:

Personally never really had a problem as never had enough time off for it to be an issue (been asked to show a ticket ... 3 times up to now ... when I had one way into Bangkok but as I had flights with other airlines out I could show, not an issue). But, one trip, the guy at the check-in next to me was was kicking up a ruckus as I was walking up to my check-in. Last I heard as I was heading off was him loudly declaring "Satisfied now!" as he held up his phone so the check in dude could confirm he'd just bought a ticket there and then 555

I applied for and got a STV earlier this year with just a one way ticket. No hassles at check in either (Qatar) I did have a $12 ticket in my pocket just in case!

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I applied for and got a STV earlier this year with just a one way ticket. No hassles at check in either (Qatar) I did have a $12 ticket in my pocket just in case!

Here is my take based on my experience.

When applying for visa (eg tourist visa) an onward flight is NOT required by embassy/consulate. Nor is one required by the airline.

An inbound flight IS required for application.

Note that it assists airline check in staff if you can direct them to your visa or reentry permit.

 

If flying visa exempt an onward flight IS required by the airline for boarding. Upon arrival an onward flight at immigration would not be asked for (can be but won't).

 

Note, border exits do not satisfy airline. 

Folk will say that they have flown visa exempt without onward flight. Yes it can happen with some airlines. Generally not.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gearbox said:

From my experience it would be OK with the embassies, you can always tell some BS if asked, for example that you intend to get a non-O visa during your stay. It is the airlines which are the obstacles, and that's logical...they need to bring you back at their expense if the immigration denies you entry.

 

But in the case of entry to Thailand IMO it should be OK, as you'll be already approved to enter and the airlines shouldn't be liable.

Sounds worth a try for the initial 60 day visa at least.  Will give it a go, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...