Walking Dizzyness

swissie

Next to my Blood-Pressure medication I was described tabletts to ease  Prostate-Problems. I developped a bad case of dizzyness while walking. So I dropped the Prostate Tabletts. That was 19 days ago. But I still feel some dizzyness when walking. When sitting or laying down, no problem. My blood-pressure readings are within normal parameters.

What puzzles me is the fact that when blood-pressure readings are within normal parameters, how can "walking-dizzyness" occur?

-  Could it be that there is a neurological problem? OR: AFAIK "the sense of balance" is located in the inner ear. I clean my inner ears with a special small metal spoon. Could my cleaning activities have damaged my "sense of balance" in the inner ear in some way?
Any ideas?

Recently i bought an endoscope for ear cleaning, this has many different ends including a spoon, the camera makes a big difference, I wouldn't stick a spoon thing in without camera. In the end i had my ears vacuumed out at a clinic as the endoscope couldn't remove the impacted wax on the eardrum

I don't think we can rule out the prostate medicine. Exactly what medicine? Doctors have started to use SSRIs (ie anti-depressants) off-label for it as they have some anti-inflammatory effect. These SSRIs have a good chance of causing dizziness. What's the medicine? 

• Like 1

I have been having similar problems to you especially when walking.

I was originally diagnosed with postural hypotension but my BP is very regular.

Then I started with prostate meds and soon quit as they made my dizziness worse.

Then I was diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

I then saw a neuro physiotherapist who confirmed the diagnosis and gave some me physical therapy.

My dizziness is unchanged.

I do recall that prostate meds like Duodart have very long half lives and can take a while to clear the system.

Edited by LosLobo

neuropathy is also a possibility... I have a friend who is fit as a fiddle, strong and trim... he has neuropathy - 1 step forward, three to the side in a near falling motion... 

very likely not your meds but something else... you need a doctor to check you out..

good luck.

There are many, many possible causes of dizziness.

It would help to know:

1. Name and dose of the prostate medicine you stopped and of the BP medicine you take

2, Have you recently received Astra Zeneca COVID vaccine? (Dizziness is common side effect)

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are many, many possible causes of dizziness.

It would help to know:

1. Name and dose of the prostate medicine you stopped and of the BP medicine you take

2, Have you recently received Astra Zeneca COVID vaccine? (Dizziness is common side effect)

Prostate Medicine ingredients: Tamsulosin Hydrochloridum 0,4 mg
BB Medicine ingredients: Amlodipinum 10 mg

Not vaccinated with Astra Zeneca.

Dizziness (especially when standing) is a known side effect of tamsulosin.

Since it has decreased since you stopped the tablets, I'd give it a bot more time to see if it fully resolves.

But then of course you still have the problem of what to do re your prostate.may need to return to urologist and ask about alternate medication.

I would also suggest you check your blood pressure in different postures, as usually people take it when sitting down. Try:

- immediately after standing up

- After walking a bit and  while  feeling dizzy

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Dizziness (especially when standing) is a known side effect of tamsulosin.

Since it has decreased since you stopped the tablets, I'd give it a bot more time to see if it fully resolves.

But then of course you still have the problem of what to do re your prostate.may need to return to urologist and ask about alternate medication.

I would also suggest you check your blood pressure in different postures, as usually people take it when sitting down. Try:

- immediately after standing up

- After walking a bit and  while  feeling dizzy

Thanks Sheryl,

Now, 21 days after I have stopped taking tamsulosin, the "dizzyness" is finally gone.

Doctor has prescribed new Prostate medication: "Urorec" (ingredient "Silodosin", 4 mg). What do you think?

Also, blood pressure medication "Amlodipinum 10 mg" can cause dizzyness for some people, as I gather. Have reduced dose to 5 mg for several days. Blood pressure still OK.

16 hours ago, swissie said:

Thanks Sheryl,

Now, 21 days after I have stopped taking tamsulosin, the "dizzyness" is finally gone.

Doctor has prescribed new Prostate medication: "Urorec" (ingredient "Silodosin", 4 mg). What do you think?

Also, blood pressure medication "Amlodipinum 10 mg" can cause dizzyness for some people, as I gather. Have reduced dose to 5 mg for several days. Blood pressure still OK.

Silodosin can also cause dizziness, it is closely related to tamsulosin.  If you now do not have that problem it is more likely due to having reduced the amlodopine dose than the change form tamsulosin to silodosin.

There is some synergetic effect between drugs like tamsuloin/silodosin and BP meds so when on both, can sometimes need a dose reduction.

Contain atch your BP closely as the effects of a reduced dosage will take time to appear.

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Silodosin can also cause dizziness, it is closely related to tamsulosin.  If you now do not have that problem it is more likely due to having reduced the amlodopine dose than the change form tamsulosin to silodosin.

There is some synergetic effect between drugs like tamsuloin/silodosin and BP meds so when on both, can sometimes need a dose reduction.

Contain atch your BP closely as the effects of a reduced dosage will take time to appear.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that (so far) I havent taken the newly prescribed prostate medication, afraid they will likely produce the same unwelcome side effects. With the result, that my prostate problems are back. Predictably.

The question remaining is: Are there any prostate medications available, based on a different set of ingredients, not causing dizzyness?

If not, I may end up in hospital to "scrape out" the blockages in the "pipeline". Are such "scraping-outs's" considered as a major surgical procedure or rather seen as a "minor bodily invasive procedure"?

1 hour ago, swissie said:

If not, I may end up in hospital to "scrape out" the blockages in the "pipeline". Are such "scraping-outs's" considered as a major surgical procedure or rather seen as a "minor bodily invasive procedure"?

There' a significant risk or permanent incontinence and erectile dysfunction (14%) from TURP.

Personally, I prefer to live with the side effects of the medicine (not all that bad for me) than take the risk.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/transurethral-resection-of-the-prostate-turp/risks/

• Thanks 1