Panic attack followed by acute depression.

giddyup

Woke up a few days ago with a panic/anxiety attack. This eventually passed but what followed is severe depression. I might mention that I am now 79, so age may well be a contributing factor. Obviously a visit to see a doctor at Bkk/Pattaya hospital is in order, but am curious as to how the doctor will know which antidepressants to prescribe, if needed, as there seems like there's a lot of choices. Would like to know others experiences with antidepressants.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sheryl may read this and be able to recommend a psycho-geriatrician who may be able to assist you working matters through.

Do have a supportive network of empathetic people around you?

Organisations also can do online consultations, Samaritans may be able to refer you to such an organisation.

Blackdog Institute  is one which comes to mind, based in Australia, but online support can assist.

https://onlineclinic.blackdoginstitute.org.au/

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What leads you to believe I'm set in my ways, because I walk the dog and have a cup of coffee everyday? I haven't resorted to medication yet and I may try a natural remedy like St John's wort before I do. Comparing what your relatives do to others is meaningless, there's no one size fits all. I'm relatively healthy at 79, others less so, some already dead.

St John's Wort has many side effects. Just because it's 'natural' does not mean it's not dangerous.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a mystery, a chemical imbalance perhaps?

Possible but sometimes you can lose track what's causing it, money worries, wife worries, friend worries, jaded, try and work it out what it could be.

A friend of mine had a mid life crisis, a very relaxed laid back guy, hit him hard from nowhere, i recall he wasn't getting enough serotonin, dr gave him meds for it and he got back to normal then weaned himself off

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What leads you to believe I'm set in my ways, because I walk the dog and have a cup of coffee everyday? I haven't resorted to medication yet and I may try a natural remedy like St John's wort before I do. Comparing what your relatives do to others is meaningless, there's no one size fits all. I'm relatively healthy at 79, others less so, some already dead.

I don't want to get into why I think that. I just think that you should listen to the general advice here to allow a change in your physiology. 

It isn't a meaningless comparison. 

Healthy is also relative. Is the pumped up guy who looks strong on the outside healthier than the slim and mildly muscular guy whose mind and body works in concert to make every day positive and buoyant?

Do you see yourself as a strong oak tree that never bends, but eventually breaks when a strong enough wind comes along or a more flexible variety that can flex with the changing conditions?

Your quality of life is relative to what you know and expect. But what if it could be much better? You won't know because your mind is closed to it or you have never experienced it. You are creating the panic attack without realising it. 

I see it in people around me all the time; I can help and coach people close to me to allow their minds and subsequently their bodies to understand that they can fix these things if they allow themselves to do the things they need to fix it.

Most people are resistant to that, as they just prefer to do what they think they know....compounding the issue.

Sometimes you just need a good kick up the butt. ???? But if you never allow anyone to do so...

It's your world. Change it or keep it as it is. Up to you. Don't be afraid to do it differently. Allow yourself to become more flexible and capable. But for that, you need to allow yourself to relax and to look inside yourself to fix what is wrong. If you don't ever learn how to do that; you aren't really living, but merely existing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a mystery, a chemical imbalance perhaps?

Of course that is just one aspect. 

When I was doing athletic stuff, I got used to being at the top of the tree. Whenever I stopped for any amount of time, I would feel terrible. The chemicals that my body produced and it's physiology would change; so I felt different.

If you never learn about these things then you can have no control over them. That is what is happening to you now. You have no idea as to what to do. Try jogging with the dog. A longer distance each day. That will begin to stimulate your mind and body. Encourage you to breathe more deeply. Panic attacks are characterised by shallow breathing. The exercise will force you to learn to breathe more deeply and also to encourage your body to produce different chemicals. Don't think that drinking some tea is going to have to have the desired effect on it's own.

You actually have to do something. Leave the coffee alone for now; it only increases your heart rate and will make you more nervous.