1MB guranteed by the Thai banks?

Recently I've heard Thai banks only guarantees 1MB per account holders.

Does this mean when the bank busts, they only pays to the accoun holder no more than 1MB?

Is there really a chance a big bank like Banngkok bank, Siam bank, Kashikorn bank, etc be bankrupt???

Also how about if you transffer some of your monies to Stock exchange of Thailand in terms of holding stocks?

Are they covered till 1MB as well?

• Haha 1

Who is protected?   

Foreigners with Thai baht deposit accounts at member financial institutions in Thailand are also protected under the Deposit Protection Agency Act. However, “Non-Resident Baht Accounts” as defined in the Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 (1942) are not protected.

https://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/who-is-protected

• Like 2

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Even deposit account in a foreign currency is NOT under the 1 million deposit  guaranteed

That is not correct

Financial products or certain deposit products that are not protected include:

Foreign currency deposit accounts

(SSF, RMF) Money invested in bonds, debentures, mutual and tax-saving funds (SSF and RMF)

Deposits in cooperatives

Cashier’s cheques and bills of exchange

Electronic money (e-money)

Savings insurance products offered by insurance companies

https://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/protected-deposit-products

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That is not correct

(SSF, RMF) Money invested in bonds, debentures, mutual and tax-saving funds (SSF and RMF)

Deposits in cooperatives

Well ....! if you are convinced that a foreign currency account is under that protection  i suggest you go to a main branche to have confirmation on that ...... i know you shall be disappointed with the answer ....

I speak about a foreign currency  deposit account , not about any other whatever you mentioned 

Thai deposit protection act..pdf

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Well ....! if you are convinced that a foreign currency account is under that protection  i suggest you go to a main branche to have confirmation on that ...... i know you shall be disappointed with the answer ....

I speak about a foreign currency  deposit account , not about any other whatever you mentioned 

Did you read my post before replying 

Financial products or certain deposit products that are not protected include:

Just now, vinny41 said:

Did you read my post before replying 

Read the deposit act i just uploaded in my former reply  than you might understand 

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Read the deposit act i just uploaded in my former reply  than you might understand 

the Pdf file that you uploaded doesn't mention anything about Foreign currency deposit accounts

which this link does 

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

the Pdf file that you uploaded doesn't mention anything about Foreign currency deposit accounts

which this link does 

I give up .... i don't have a habit to preach in the Dessert ......????

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Deposit insurance schemes never cover accounts that subject the principle to market fluctuation which eliminates any stocks.  If principle is at risk there is no coverage from deposit insurance.

The thing that they do in the USA at least is offer SIPC protection in case the broker/firm you are using goes belly up. This is limited to $500K US but many reputable brokers have private insurance up to $5 million in case of firm failure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The deposit agency make it crystal clear what is covered

Protected Deposit Products

Protected deposit products are deposit accounts that are opened at member financial institutions under the Deposit Protection Agency Act. They must be denominated in Thai baht and must be opened within the country. Currently, there are 5 types of protected deposits:

So that means FCD ( Foreign currency deposit accounts) in Euros, Dollars Sterling or any other currency excluding Thai baht are not covered by the Protected deposit 

To be sure you understand i put it marked on YOUR pdf a bit clear for you to read , marked in Red and Yellow and even an red Arrow ....????

Deposit Protection Agency (DPA).pdf

Edited by david555

38 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That is not correct

Deposits in cooperatives

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

To be sure you understand i put it marked on YOUR pdf a bit clear for you to read , marked in Red and Yellow and even an red Arrow ....????

Deposit Protection Agency (DPA).pdf 200.42 kB · 4 downloads

Which is what I wrote in my original post Thank You

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Which is what I wrote in my original post Thank You

So why your first reply said i was not correct ,

i should it said more easy understandable that only accounts on Thai bank in Thai currency is covered....as it seems now you admit my post was correct 

21 hours ago, skatewash said:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Tips-and-Insights/Save-and-Invest/Practical-advice-on-deposit-protection

Any business can go bankrupt for a variety of reasons.  It is very unlikely in my opinion that any of the major Thai banks would suffer this fate.  The painful 1997 Thai financial crisis resulted in a sounder banking situation in Thailand.

Deposit insurance schemes never cover accounts that subject the principle to market fluctuation which eliminates any stocks.  If principle is at risk there is no coverage from deposit insurance.

Good post , but the link provides the usual blabla only like :

" Depositors shall neither have concerns in, nor take part in, any process pertinent to insured deposits when an insured financial institution’s license is revoked. Reimbursement shall be made within a certain period of time. "

Of course ... but , as you said , they have ( hopefully ) learned a lot from the last big crisis ...

SCB , for example , is partially owned ( 25% ) by the one who's name cannot be mentioned ... and therefore well protected against bankruptcy ...

21 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

thanks for yours share.

I've opened 3 new different bank accounts. TTB, Krungthai and Siam bank. And currently hold 5 different bank accounts....

But i dont have any more bank accounts to distribute. 

So if I transffer say 5MB to Thai stock exchange account (SET), holding it as cash balance, not as stock,

might be safer than keeping them in a thai banks? 

No it won't. The exchange retains any excess cash with the banking system. If it goes down, so does your money. 

I have a government savings bank account. I asked them how much they guarantee and was told 100% of your savings as they don't come under commercial bank rules. Do ask them to confirm this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

Good luck as a foreigner if you ever have to "claim" on that 1 Million Baht guarantee

The outcome will be somewhere between Bob Hope and no hope...................................

I have always assumed that these "guarantees", even in the West, are worthless.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Chivas said:

Good luck as a foreigner if you ever have to "claim" on that 1 Million Baht guarantee

The outcome will be somewhere between Bob Hope and no hope...................................

Nonsense.

You probably have to make a claim to the govt agency and it will be paid back to you up to 1 million baht.

Edited by userabcd

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

I have a government savings bank account. I asked them how much they guarantee and was told 100% of your savings as they don't come under commercial bank rules. Do ask them to confirm this.

Yes, some government banks guarantee savings 100%

• Like 1