Have Bankgok Bank account but they're not allowing me to use mobile or online banking, and ATM machine direct acct transfers don't work - any solutions for transferring money to Thais domestically?

2 hours ago, wml22 said:

I should clarify something, Bangkok Bank said that I can't use mobile or online banking unless I have a work permit. I don't have a work permit because I'm going to be here on a marriage visa and don't work for a Thai company.

That is not surprising.

I think it was back in 2014 I received an email from TMB head office saying that my visa status was inconsistent with the new BOT regulations and if I didn't visit the branch and update details by July 1st that year I would lose access to online banking specifically, it was made quite clear the account wouldn't be closed.

I have had online banking since 2009 and the main account was in Pattaya. I went down an saw the manager, she spoke good English  and said she had been to a BOT seminar on the topic the week before. Apparently BOT had said for online baking foreigners would need to have a WP or a long term visa, I had a Non O ME at the time and she said that was ok. She commented on the fact that many banks were not happy about the change and it make take some time to spread through the banking service, certainly not wrong on that.

Edited by sandyf

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
3 hours ago, wml22 said:

Bangkok Bank apparently won't allow foreigners to use online or mobile banking

Which is odd because I use Bangkok Bank and use the phone app all the time.

I'm a foreigner and I've never had a work permit.

The girl in the bank even set it up for me, I just handed her my phone.

(I just walked into a random branch with my passport, ATM card, bank book and phone)

wml22 is clearly hitting a brick wall because of a communication failure or his bank clerks are just lazy, lying or stupid... or a combination of all three !!!! 

I too opened a Bangkok Bank account a couple of years ago (no Bank Book - on a Non-Imm O Visa, Yellow Tabien Baan).... In Bangkok (at the Sukhumvit 71 branch, next to MaxValue, nr Pridi Soi 14).

Not even a sniff or hint of ‘cannot’ use internet or mBanking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I don't have work permit and use Bangkok Bank online banking function all the time. I believe whoever you are talking to is misinformed about requirements. Suggest talking to branch manager or calling Bangkok Bank customer svc hotline to explain problem and have them interface with your local branch to resolve problem.

Bangkok Bank customer svc: call 1333 or +66 (0) 2645 5555

I agree, the hotline have always been very good with any issues i've had in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Thats what Bkk bank staff do as an excuse not to help you or not do something they dont understand. God forbid cant go ask someone or make a call. I have had online banking with them 8 years but also ran into the same problems with them until I found a branch with a decent contact. Having said that theyre online banking / apps unreliable, sometimes off the air for a day or more hence I recently moved all my bigger money to SCB. They are much more progressive and helpful. I always feel like the other bank somehow thinks they are doing you a favour holding onto your money, or in their minds THEIR money. 

Never had any problem with Bkk Bank in 8 years online or in the bank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well they're lying to you, it's as simple as that. You're dealing with a moron at that branch.

I was once asked for a work permit when I went to order an internet connection, I told her that was nonsense, work permits are for working - and to go and get the manager. The manager came and suddenly a work permit wasn't required.

The trick is to get past the first line of idiots and hope whoever else they send is a little smarter.

They love to use the work permit nonsense. Even had an AIS rep use it on me for a simple transaction. "No can do, need work permit to change number."--I'm retired so how can I get work permit...met with blank stare by the rep so I just walked out went to another branch and no problem.