Why did the monitor lizard cross the road?

JetsetBkk

<deleted>tard in the red car. Probably too busy with make up in the mirror or on the phone. Not slowing down a bit, probably hasn't seen the lizard at all. Those are the kind of people running over small children at a school zone ????????????????

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Was the guy in the other truck hoping to catch him for a quick barbie? :whistling:

Allegedly quite tasty ???? 

????  No, he was just trying to wave him off the road, but the lizard got to the grass pretty quickly. 

2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

I flashed my lights at the red car and I think it slowed down a bit. I then put my flashers on and held my arm out the window to stop a couple of cars behind me overtaking. It was all OK in the end.

well done you

I've spent a total of almost about forty weeks on Phuket over the last few years and never seen a monitor in the wild until this visit.

Saw one on a Kamala back street a couple of weeks ago, and then another last week on the road near the Z-Cape complex in Laguna - both of them bigger than the one in the video.

I wonder if they have become more brazen since the tourist areas of the island have died?

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:39 AM, bbko said:

Or a fast thinker that knew stopping a car just beyond a blind curve in the road is asking for trouble.

not if the traffic obeys the speed limit and pays attention to the road.

Not an excuse, there can be always an obstacle after the next blind curve....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I've spent a total of almost about forty weeks on Phuket over the last few years and never seen a monitor in the wild until this visit.

Saw one on a Kamala back street a couple of weeks ago, and then another last week on the road near the Z-Cape complex in Laguna - both of them bigger than the one in the video.

I wonder if they have become more brazen since the tourist areas of the island have died?

They're all over the place

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:56 AM, Crossy said:

Was the guy in the other truck hoping to catch him for a quick barbie? :whistling:

Allegedly quite tasty ???? 

Thats the first think that went through my mind when the guy got out.

Taste like chicken .. everything tastes like chicken.

3 hours ago, CLW said:

not if the traffic obeys the speed limit and pays attention to the road.

Not an excuse, there can be always an obstacle after the next blind curve....

Yes,  but why introduce another hazard  - surely there are plenty enough on Thai roads already. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

Been here almost 10 years and still enjoy seeing the monitor's - mystifies me why the average Thai hates/petrified of them!

Maybe because when they panic, they run and look for something to climb. If you are the highest thing around, they will climb you. Their claws are sharp and will likely cause infection if a claw breaks the skin.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Maybe because when they panic, they run and look for something to climb. If you are the highest thing around, they will climb you. Their claws are sharp and will likely cause infection if a claw breaks the skin.

yeah i guess that could be pretty scarey.

51 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Thats the first think that went through my mind when the guy got out.

Taste like chicken .. everything tastes like chicken.

It's actually quite bland, a bit like croc, needs herbs and spices.

17 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Had one visit my garden every day at around the same time (a juvenile).

I could always tell when it arrived as the resident pair of Common Mynahs would go batsh1t.

I forgot about this one. He came into the garden a couple of years ago through a pipe that connects my garden drain to the storm drain that runs along the backs of the houses. My garden drain was full of leaves and the monitor appeared to not see the way out back to the storm drain. He kept going back to the corner where he came in, but never found the pipe entrance:

The next time I saw him, he was in the car port. So I tried to scare him back to the corner of the garden where he came in. Big mistake! He ran through the front door - pushing the bug screen aside - and lodged himself between the security bars and bug screen on another patio door. I eventually scared him back to the floor but then he decided to explore. Fortunately, I had closed the doors to the bedroom and office so just had to get him back out the front door. I managed to do that with the help of a grass broom. (I've removed the sound track as there was some bad language. ???? )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1