Where to store Chanote and other important documents?

On 11/1/2021 at 12:58 PM, EricTh said:

Do you think that cloud is a safe place given the poor security? Hackers can download it.

If you lose the chanote, how easy is it to get a new one from the land office?

In Land office everything is registered.

So no Problem to get a new one

On 11/1/2021 at 6:27 PM, CharlieH said:

The problem with a "safe" especially the hotel room style, is they need anchoring properly or they can just pick up the whole thing and walk away with it.People seldom do that, just like the Hotels do which makes them pretty useless really.

The larger safes are formidable and of more use but again should be achored correctly.All that is a non starter for me and frankly , an ugly eyesore.

Safe deposit boxes are the best bet if you can get one, they are not readily available in many areas.

You can of course use a fireproof box and hide that in the house somewhere camouflaged or hidden in plain sight. ????

Lots of things available these days that are not what they appear to be.

Whatever makes "you" sleep better at night or when you travel  away for awhile.

Fire is the real threat, but most concrete Thai homes, like mine, have little to burn long or hard enough to char contents even inside a metal box under the sink, etc. As others have said, copies, scans, cloud, and memory stick usually suffice for most needs.

For items you seldom need a 4" PVC pipe with threaded end caps can be buried quite easily as long as you keep track of the location!

I just depend on my excellent memory.

NOT.

About safes:-

1. I have three digital safes, bottom end of the market. I can open all of them in seconds, without the code or backup key, as I can with most hotel safes. It isn't difficult, needs no tools, and no, I am not any kind of a professional safebreaker!

2. As someone has already said, no problem to remove the safe from the premises, intact and unopened. Obviously, bigger and heavier is more difficult, attachment needs to be VERY secure.

3. If you buy a safe, DO NOT give your address to the supplier, or allow them to arrange delivery and installation. I know this is difficult, but copy keys, location advice and PINS are otherwise totally insecure info.

4. WHEN you or your nearest and dearest die, make sure your valuables and data are NOT in the safe, and DO NOT allow access to bib to the house. Best to have the supposed corpse taken to the hospital before the death is detected/notified/certified. Be sure to empty all relevant bank accounts.

Yes, I am a cynical inglorious basterd.

Last year one in our condo complex got drugged by thai hooker. 

Next day he woke up with opened safe. 

Still hidden, bolted, fireproof with highest safety certification ????

The cctv proofed his story but unfortunately does not help because it was (obviously) enough money to leave the country.

The id left as copy at the security was fake. 

He was talking too much to the wrong people, i asume. 

And now post here on TV more about your assets and the places you hide them. 

I have a normal hotel style safe with 4 chemical bolts installed from inside the safe in the brick wall up against another brick side wall in the wardrobe, which I installed so nobody else even knows it is there.

If they can get that out quick enough that not caught they are good & my money is in the bank, 

Buy a REALLY heavy safe from Homemart, put in the bedroom, forget how to set the lock and scared you'll forget the combination, then put everything in a drawer and cross fingers. Oh, and copy everything and keep it on TWO memory sticks in different locations. Don't put it in the "cloud" because like everything it can be hacked and your identity (and life) ruined.

Purchase a cheap hotel safe, throw a fake Rolex in there, a couple thousand baht and some costume jewelry and put the real valuables somewhere else. 
A bathroom is somewhat fireproof & a towel rack can hold some gold, valuables and rolled up documents. 

2B586BF2-EC65-48E7-BDC1-23CF35B39A01.jpeg

• Like 1