Anyone else decided that Thailand is no longer the place they fell in love with and will never return?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Flight CM to Saigon was about 1,000bht each way.

Cheaper than an agent ......... and more fun.

You say you're not rich, but you were rich enough to buy a Thai lady a house outright.

I only paid 10% and the rest is paid at 9kbht/month for 20+ years.

What the **** are you smoking? I NEVER bought a Thai lady a house, outright or not. I did buy a house in NZ that the partner got ( don't have to be married in NZ to get the goodies if a woman- living together is legally the same when it ends ), but it had a mortgage on it, that she had to take on.

Thai wife wanted me to build her a house in the village but I declined to do so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If these women are so ubiquitous, why would you need to go on ThaiFriendly to find them? You should be able to find them while out shopping, walking in the park, strolling on the beach, shouldn't you? And by the way, I wasn't talking about women whose primary incentive for being with you is financial.

The bars are all closed, I never had much luck meeting women out and about in Thailand.

Vietnam and Cambodia different, they would approach me in public place.

As for women, with me their primary incentive was always financial ....... I ain't all that hansum.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

No, but apparently a bit more than some and after living here for 20 years, I know how much it costs just to live here vs living comfy.  20k a month is more than enough to live here, and if costing 40k, then you should be comfy somewhere.

When and where is 40k a month a lot of money.  And no, every Thai town, Imm office is not the same.  

If you couldn't afford to live in Thailand, where you at now ?

I also know how much it costs to live in Thailand, and it is more than I can afford without living in the family home. That all changed when I got divorced.

What you apparently assume is that I had an income, from a pension perhaps, but I didn't. I was living on savings. Not everyone qualifies for a pension outside their home country, where I now reside, with a pension.

My last year in Thailand, after my divorce, was financed by spending the visa extension money, so that was that- the end.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I also know how much it costs to live in Thailand, and it is more than I can afford without living in the family home. That all changed when I got divorced.

What you apparently assume is that I had an income, from a pension perhaps, but I didn't. I was living on savings. Not everyone qualifies for a pension outside their home country, where I now reside, with a pension.

You moved intern'l without an income or pension, just a 'not enough' savings account. ???? 

OK, got it 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Another I have to remind that not all of us are as wealthy as yourself.

If I was that rich I could have stayed in LOS even when divorced.

And since you said you had an agent do your extensions when living here as you did not want to wait in long line  you could have used an agent  to  change to retirement visa from marriage and they can fix the financials.  No need to leave.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you. Take a memory snapshot of how you feel now, and when things get a bit iffy in LOS just remember why you prefer to be in Thailand.

You're right about that. Kinda already have.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You moved intern'l without an income or pension, just a 'not enough' savings account. ???? 

OK, got it 

Given you have no idea of how much savings I had, nor about my actual arrangements, and that I'm not going to elaborate as it's nobody's business except mine, I suggest you stop digging a hole while you can.

I doubt any poster on here tells the entire story.

Anyway, given none of this is in any way on topic, I won't be responding to any more of such from you.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

And since you said you had an agent do your extensions when living here as you did not want to wait in long line  you could have used an agent  to  change to retirement visa from marriage and they can fix the financials.  No need to leave.

Given I was never on extensions for marriage and always on extensions for retirement, that post is somewhat wide of the intended mark, is it not?

Also, I didn't leave because of financials for living, but because medical insurance was high and getting higher every year due to age. Thailand is no place to live without medical insurance.

Anyway, that is nothing to do with the reasons I gave for no longer wanting to visit Thailand, as it's not relevant for a tourist, which is what I'd be, as I have no ability to live there any more.

The thread, for those that don't get it, isn't about living in LOS, or reasons for leaving years ago, but about visiting as a tourist in the future.

It'd be nice if people answered the OP instead of wandering into an off topic discussion.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know. I'd rather be there than here, but life isn't the way it is in dreams.

My life, as a retired guy in Thailand, is way better than any dreams I ever had at any time in my past. So far today, I've walked around the moobaan a few times with my woman in the early morning sun. Just had a wine cooler, stroked the rabbits, and a boiled egg is on it's way to me.

PS. I've never bothered to waste my money on medical insurance, not worthwhile IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyone else decided that Thailand is no longer the place they fell in love with and will never return?

Well in 2016 we decided it was no longer "The Place" to live for various reasons.. but, We still have a home there & usually do 3 months a year which is great. Unfortunately this whole Covid deal put a damper on that. Hopefully it will reopen without hoops soon

That said we do live in what most would call paradise & none would feel sorry for us being here as our main home

BUT.......I have to be honest....Thailand just has something that we both miss.... a lot....Not a week goes by that we don't wonder about moving back full time. Which is really odd because as I said we both agree we are in a better place. Better everything really but Thailand has a feel to it that is just hard to replicate & it has nothing to do with prices, food etc etc

But anyway......We feel this now that we have been locked out of our home there for two years. But when we have our three months a year there it is quite perfect then we are Thai-Urd as we say & are happy to leave & return here...So hopefully we will soon get back to that part time LOS ????

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My life, as a retired guy in Thailand, is way better than any dreams I ever had at any time in my past. So far today, I've walked around the moobaan a few times with my woman in the early morning sun. Just had a wine cooler, stroked the rabbits, and a boiled egg is on it's way to me.

PS. I've never bothered to waste my money on medical insurance, not worthwhile IMHO.

My medical insurance was 100% worth it. The last year I had Thai insurance I would have had to pay the same amount for a single 2 day hospital stay, and my hospital admission with surgery after my m'bike accident would have cost WAAAAAY more than the NZ travel insurance I was on.

Don't need insurance, better be really lucky or really rich.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't need insurance, better be really lucky or really rich.

Split knee ........ 350bht, cleaning, stitching, meds and stitch removel.

Gallstones infection, 4,500bht ....... 1 night in the ward, 1 night in a private room.

Broken jaw and teeth, 5,000bht ....... 2k for the stitches, 3k for setting my jaw rebuilding 2 teeth, 5 visits.

Prostate problems, 1,000bht at the start, than around 200bht/month for meds, tests and doctor appointments.

An elderly pal (70+) had a m/c accident (toppled over in his driveway), broken hip......... his m/c government minimum insurance paid direct for all the hospital care, and he paid 25kbht for a month in a care home while he was immobile and in plaster.

All very reasonable IMHO.

You were driving an uninsured m/c?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Same here, and way ahead on that curve.  I can't spend as much on an oops here that med ins would have cost over the decades.  And always the likely chance they simply cancel the policy if too expensive or terminal diagnosis.

Do need to have an oops fund though.  Stated a few times, as one of the reasons I'm here, inexpensive / available healthcare, and no RE Taxes.

• Like 1

always on extensions for retirement .... I didn't leave because of financials for living, but because medical insurance was high and getting higher every year due to age. Thailand is no place to live without medical insurance

Well that's a better picture (financially) than what was going thru my head.

Good Luck to you.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you are into that sort of thing, but I never was. I'd sit in a bar for an hour or so playing connect 4 with a possible, and eventually decide whether to proceed or not. No freelancer is going to sit with me for an hour or so while I make up my mind. It's get to it or be gone, and quite understandable too.

You seem to overlook the possibility that not everyone wants to operate in the same way as yourself. We are all different, and work in different ways.

Seems to me that a lot of today's social problems are caused by intolerance of other's preferences and if we all calmed down a bit and stopped knee jerk reactions we would all be better off.

I started this thread to see if any felt like myself, and the response has been a lot of posters ranting about anything but the OP.

Personally, it doesn't worry me because I'm well aware of the negative and abusive replies that any such thread attracts, and if that affected me I would not have started it.

So, to all the angry, frustrated posters out there with nothing better to do than post inanities like "don't let the door hit you on the way out", carry on- I need something to laugh about.

Have a nice day.

Hey you were the one that stated 

"What I want from Thailand is bars+girls and nice beaches.

I know the girls are on line, but looking was a lot of the fun for me.

Beaches by myself just don't seem to appeal."  You also mentioned your not wasting time in quarentene if you came back for shot trip. As of Nov 1st there is only 1 day you have to wait at hotel for test results  no 7--14 day quarentene.  Some bars serve "coffee"  so you could still sit and play connect 4  while you drank enough to get the courage up to ask her to acompany you.

I have beeen coming here 21 years and now living here for 8 years with my wife who I have known since first week I got here .  Don't drink,smoke done  any drugs in my life so I don't need to hang at bars as you mentioned "You seem to overlook the possibility that not everyone wants to operate in the same way as yourself."  My cousins could,nt understand when we were young  how come  I got all the girls. I told them  "by the time you drink enough to get the courage to ask them to dance/go out you're drunk sluring your words and they don't want to be bothered."

Look at your post count, almost 42,000 ---that's more than most of the moderators !  Mostly about your poor choices of picking women overseas and in Thailand  as well as searching for info from posters on if they know were to  get  uthenasia drugs. When advised about exercising to improve mood you say cannot. Told me rippped rotator cuff so can;t do pushups when I and others stated you can't train like you did when young you say too late now. When I told you about ways to repair damage to shoulder you just ignor.  Now basillly say your too old to do anything , except come on AN  and gripe, never trying anything which might help.   So basiclly you got screwed over by your home country GF (common-law -wife )  as well as Thai wife here, Seems  like you make poor choices and plans then complain why Thailand has no good taste to you. 

Things change, that is inevitable.  Your ability to adapt and change is important too.  You are also changing.  Happens to all of us.  

Originally I was going to live full time in Thailand.  Now I prefer to split my time between my home country and Thailand.  I try to enjoy the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 8:23 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Thailand has changed, obviously, since my first trip in 1991, and in the 17 years since I moved over here to live.

However, so has the city and country I was raised and brought up in.

When I weigh up the pros and cons, the climate and cost of living makes Thailand a far better option for me, and I have no intention of ever returning to the UK. Now in my 60's, I have no intention to look for pastures new either.

Same here mate.

I think after all these years. The U.K would be as foreign to me now. As Thailand was when i first arrived.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't know me then. A back street suburb of Lamphun was definitely a small dump, but it was home to me.

Having to get to immigration at 3 am just to get a place in the q, and then stressing if I'd be rejected because the photo had the wrong colour background was a big turn off to me. So much so that I paid an agency to avoid it.

Now just a minute here, you criticise my previous post mentioning immigration as you are intending to return as a tourist, yet here you are responding on that very same topic and highlighting the fact that my post was indeed applicable to you and your previous departure!

3 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

You can still do that if you are married.  Just involves booking an extra ticket and giving up one of your suitcases for your wife to use!  555

I have teenage children. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The bars are all closed, I never had much luck meeting women out and about in Thailand.

Vietnam and Cambodia different, they would approach me in public place.

As for women, with me their primary incentive was always financial ....... I ain't all that hansum.

I ain't all that hansum.

We know555

127B765B-96A7-4C62-A438-BDE04F5D90B2.jpeg

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. No amount of research can foretell if an all night karaoke will open next door a week after one moves in. Which is why I'll always say "rent, never buy".

But you coming, or rather not coming as a tourist? Yes?

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What the **** are you smoking? I NEVER bought a Thai lady a house, outright or not. I did buy a house in NZ that the partner got ( don't have to be married in NZ to get the goodies if a woman- living together is legally the same when it ends ), but it had a mortgage on it, that she had to take on.

Thai wife wanted me to build her a house in the village but I declined to do so.

Immaterial although your actions probably contributed heavily towards your previous disaster, thread is about coming as a tourist, or not, as the case may be right?

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes Thailand has changed but at least it is still full of Thai people,my old home town in the UK was once a nice working class town with a few factories and a few immigrants ,now no factories ,the town is full of women covered all over ,men in clothes i only used to see in Bangladesh when i visited. There are drug gangs from places like Rumania and African countrys ,hardly any of the old indigenous people . To be blunt its now a well starts with sh and ends in hole,and that was over 2 years ago when we went back for a few weeks.

The way things seem there now you dare not say most things in case your classed some sort of " ist" no thanks i will end my days here where things are still normal.

Also in the last month a boy was stabbed to death outside my daughters old school and a drug gang fight ended in a death .

Oh how Britain has changed.

Where are the 'indigenous' people? Did they just die or did they move...or did they all decamp to Thailand?

All the years that I have been perusing the forums, I see the same old themes.

First it was attacks on the women. Western women were fat and ugly; whereas Thai women were described as feminine and caring. Then the sheen came off as the Thai women ripped them off left, right and centre. 

They abused their own women and abandoned their country.  

Say most things? Like what?

Are the immigrants to blame for the factories no longer being there? No factories; no jobs. The indigenous moved out and poor immigrants moved in and kept the town alive. Reminds me of Phra Tamnak and the Russians. Truly dead before they arrived.

Homogenous? Is it a joke? No Burmese, Chinese, Lao, Cambodian etc here? What about you? Are you part of the homogeneity?

How about those who objected to the Russians, Chinese, the Indians and the Arabs visiting? The type that thinks the place should only be for westerners. 

The same type who complain about foreigners in their native countries?

Unhappy people; spreading unhappiness wherever they go. Flocking together to complain and abuse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1