Anyone else decided that Thailand is no longer the place they fell in love with and will never return?

6 hours ago, tonray said:

I guess in all your decades here you never managed to build any relationships to cause you to want to stay. That's quite sad. Building a life somewhere, anywhere, is not just about having fun. You'll find the same problem chasing "sanuk" wherever you end up.

I agree.  I am in my late 60s and I have been in Thailand since 2010.  I still very much enjoy living here and my partner and I have gradually made some good friends here that we enjoy socializing with.   Plus, my Thai partner's family is in Bangkok.  I certainly don't want to start over 'building a life', as you say, somewhere else.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You probably actually believe that.

Worked for me, and I only have my experiences to go by.  But that's what I would advise.  So far so good.

Easier for my choices, as I always lived rural here, sort of.  Not in the downtown area.  Last house, made sure the wat across the street was rarely used, bought the 4 lots in front of the 2 rai we built on.  Found out who owned the farmlands around the other 3 sides, and they weren't going to be sold in my lifetime. 

Did the same again for present build, though one after issue did pop up, and being dealt with.  Soon to be resolved.

Deciding where to live / build not different here than anywhere in the world, abet, less zoning enforcement.  Not really a problem, just time consuming.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's why you drive around and research an area before signing on the dotted line.  Be there at 6-8 AM, look for speakers, traffic, and repeat at 4-7 pm, and night time 10pm - 2 am to find out where the partiers do their thing.  Weekdays & weekends.

It's not rocket science.

It's called due diligence... and worth the time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

The relocation calculus just seems to get more complex with every passing day. When you're young, if you make a misstep, there's often - but not always - still time to correct things. Make the wrong choice after, say, age 60, and you may have to live with the consequences for the duration.

It seems like the penalties for making the wrong choice have really gone up in the past 20 years, and not just because you're older: climate change, sky rocketing housing costs, negative real interest rates, teetering stock markets, ballooning sovereign debts, uncertain reliability of safety net programs, inflation, medical and long-term care costs, and shifting immigration rules for expats, etc. It seems like erring on the side of caution, particularly in regards to personal finances, is the prudent thing to do.

But, nevertheless, a day doesn't go by without me tinkering and fine tuning my Plan B. The thing which has kept me anchored in Thailand, besides Covid of course, is that I basically have no housing costs here. That's a pretty big perk to nonchalantly stroll away from with a dismissive flick of the wrist. I'm toying with target dates about 2 years out for relocation. I'm figuring the longer I wait, the more money I can save by not paying rent, and hopefully there will be more clarity about some of the issues mentioned above. In the meantime, I'm intensively engaged in language study for the European country I'm considering, and being a "virtual tourist" (aka travel dreamer) by combing through target neighborhoods on Google Maps, house hunting, and watching U-tube videos.

In these uncertain times, my advise to anyone considering relocation is that you need to invest as much - if not much greater - time and effort in preparing to relocate than you probably spent 20 years ago when you first decided to move to Thailand.

Alternatively don't panic and pretend you are being wise scaring yourself!! ????

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you miss the bit where I was wanting to have a trip back there? I wasn't planning on LIVING there anymore, but I had plenty of baht saved up for a long stay. Cashed that in now, so no longer an option even if I wanted to, though I don't. All the immigration hoops deter me from bothering.

I can have all the early evenings watching tv where I am without travelling 12 hours to do so.

So what did you spend this money on that is bringing a better return than Thailand would have?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Alternatively don't panic and pretend you are being wise scaring yourself!! ????

Considering all the angles is a skill many people lack, and I'm grateful I've been able to learn how to do this. Those who mock those who know how to identify risks, plan carefully, and do due diligence as not "living in the present" or being guilty of "negative thinking" or "doomsdayer-ism," are the same people who are the first to protest that "no one could possibly have seen that coming" when the proverbial [blank] hit's the fan and they're caught totally unprepared.

Careful planning and considering all the angles has served me quite well, and unlike some people on this forum, my plan B is well planned and fleshed out. Maybe instead of making snide comments you should look into doing the same. What's your Plan B? Or are you one of those who kid themselves into believing they don't need one? Or, maybe, it's just too scary to think about? ????

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

:cheesy:

Considering all the angles is a skill many people lack, and I'm grateful I've been able to learn this skill. Those who mock those who know how to identifying risks, plan carefully, and do due diligence as not "living in the present" or being guilty of "negative thinking" or "doomsdayer-ism," are the same people who are the first ones to protest that "no one could possibly have seen that coming" when the proverbial [blank] hit's the fan and they're caught totally unprepared.

Careful planning and considering all the angles has served me quite well, and unlike some people on this forum, my plan B is well planned and fleshed out. Maybe instead of making snide comments you should look into doing the same. What's your Plan B? Are you one of those who have kided themselves into believing they don't need one? Or, maybe, it's just too scary to think about?

The predictions of 'experts' are scattered along the side of many of life's paths. I will stay in Thailand as long as I want, there will always be a way. It's not me that's running scared ????

• Like 1

No place ever is the same place we first visited. 

It changes, we change - both mature and develop over time, perspective changes. 

Memory is also very selective - I fondly remember my first trip to Samui, crammed in a Songthaew to get to the ferry, overnight boat, lots of ‘getting herded’ (I wouldn’t put up with any of that treatment now !).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I came here 11 years ago, bought a house in a gated village in Pattaya, and can't say I've noticed any radical changes, other than Covid restrictions. I have no health insurance either, have enough funds to cover a short term hospital stay, but that's about it. I could return to Australia and get free health care, but would have to rent, and not sure if my Thai partner would be happy there, or me either, she's no spring chicken and I'm nearly 80. So, I've made my bed and just have to accept what happens. Getting old is not much fun wherever you are.

The key to this problem is a good Exit strategy, planned and organised well in advance of necessity. I've got mine.......have you?

1 minute ago, swissie said:

Unless the "nightlive" re-opens, I woulden't even consider booking a flight to Thailand. Sipping beer on the front porch of a 7/11 or a temple offer not enough "thrill" for me.

I guess you need to hone your internet skills to provide some thrills

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody forced them to go to (private) hospital, then accept the often pointless (but expensive) treatments. I just say NO when the doctors suggest some costly procedure to me (which they've done three times so far).

I spent a short time in a Thai "State-Hospital". Thanks, but no thanks!

• Like 1