Nearly 2,500 travellers enter Thailand on first day of full reopening

webfact

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Yes that was my understanding. Maybe they found out all the bars are still closed and there is no alcohol being served anywhere?

.... and there is [insert] supposed to be no alcohol being served anywhere????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

It's been admitted that 90% were returning expats, hence why they have not used the word tourists.

Nor does anyone mention number of business travelers.  I know of 2 Chinese that are coming back shortly purely for business.

• Like 1

The article summaries seem to be so poor. 

2500 to BKK.

7000 to ALL the airports combined under the reopening program.

As for the 30,000 travelers, that is counting domestic.

As for wanting to differentiate who these travelers are, just wait and see. Of course in the beginning there will be more Thai nationals. Regardless of who they are, they will come back and spend money.

19 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yep, I think you're right there!

Another problem that has arisen is the lack of vehicles at Suvranabhumi airport for transporting passengers from the airport to various places including those who go to Pattaya. There are not enough vehicles as drivers have to be SHA+

To make matters worse, different families members have to take different cars

This has prompted the cost of taxi to Pattaya to rise to 2,300 to 2,500 baht from 1,300 to 1,400 pre-Covid era.

There are significant " logistical and manning problems so it is just as well the numbers are lower than predicted;  for example, with the demands on the police resources made by the Bangkok protests, and the reopening restaurants needing large numbers of officers to strut around collecting bungs ( I'm sorry I meant monitor preventative measures) where are they going to find the resources to shake down large numbers of tourists?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Slightly offset by the thought that one in three of the passengers on average might be Thai and there is no requirement for returning Thais to have been vaccinated. Better to wait until that factor can be risk-assessed before coming will be my advice to family who are keen to get here from Europe.

Vaccination does not prevent people from being infected. A PCR test does not prove you do not have the virus, only that it was undetectable at that point in time.

You do not view human contact in the time prior to or after boarding as a problem, but the possibility of a Thai being on the flight is a gamechanger.

Of course xenophobia doesn't come into it.

• Like 2

I have no idea why the government seems intent on fabricating the number of tourists entering Thailand.  The occupancy rate at the hotels will authenticate what the true number of tourists are.  

Also, this is like the Russian fable about the boy who cried wolf.  If it already has not happened no one will believe anything that the government is broadcasting even if what they are attempting to convey is true. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Nor does anyone mention number of business travelers.  I know of 2 Chinese that are coming back shortly purely for business.

If your Chinese are coming from China, (or Hong Kong or Macau), they will have to quarantine for 21 days going back.

14 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

How did they get this so wrong? When I worked in airlines we could tell exactly how many seats were booked weeks in advance. 

7000 becomes only 2500, never, whole 7000 press announcement was a scam 

They could also presumably tell the exact number from the COE or the Thailand Pass, (if the latter was working). They could also presumably tell the exact number who needed to go to X hotel and Y hotel for their ASQ, and lay on the requisite buses or transport to facilitate their quarantine requirement. Do they file all this verified information under "bin", and just go and ask TAT to make an estimate?

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, aussiexpat said:

Why is the paper we are not allowed to quote stating 6,631 people arrived 1 November, conviently close to the stated 7000

Now we have a more realistic 2424, with 890 of those being returning Thai

Big chuckle - can someone explain to the majority of the posters here that we can't quote it but we are allowed to read it.  Sadly about 50% of the replies here are posing questions about points that are all there in the full article.

Edited by robsamui
  • Haha 1