Is the MorChana "app" a requirement or not?

I have for some time now been trying to find out a definitive answer for this question.

None of these 2 links from the Department of Consular Affairs mention anything about the need for the “spy app” And one is taking about arriving with no phone at all. And no phone no app.

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-traveler-journey?cate=5ddbe42115e39c4768007e1d

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-faqs-2

image.png.a7b13682cd49287aa490dddd98637fe3.png

I have been trying to find out if I need the app or not, posting here in different treads. But no conclusive answer. For me this is a deal-breaker.

I have a ticket pending, need to pay tomorrow or it is gone. I would very much like to go back to Thailand, have many friends there, Thai and farang.

But when it comes to intrusion of personal privacy the “app” is where I draw the line.

Has someone arrived in Thailand the last couple of days or have some other information that can give a definitive answer?

Would be very grateful.

If posted wrong, please move to the right place

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bokningar said:

But when it comes to intrusion of personal privacy the “spy app” is where I draw the line.

Seems you like privacy same as I do. Then here's most effective and universal solution (apart from WiFi tricks): buy a cheapest phone on Android you can find (eg. used) and install the app there. Then you can always leave it in your room (and they know your address anyway). No one is going to check if you have multiple phones ????

Though I understand they don't require using the app after your 1 night quarantine or 7 nights quarantine if using Sandbox entry, so can just delete it after this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You got old people who don't want a phone / you got privacy people who don't want a spy app. So funny if you guys are so worried just find an other place. Your not a majority.  Honestly as someone who does not like alcohol that much I got more respect for those that don't want to come because the bars are not open.

But in the end its either conform or take the risks.  Phones are already spying just turn them off dont use them or accept it. 

13 hours ago, Stocky said:

Use Thaichana (Krungthai Bank), it only wants access to your camera to snap the QR code and your location. Morchana wanted access to bloody everything!

For Mor Prom I use the Mor Prom Line account which does the samw but uses the Line platform rather than any dodgy government app. 

how can I find this Mor prom on Line app?

18 hours ago, bokningar said:

I have been trying to find out if I need the app or not

When do you arrive?

The requirement seems recommended, desired, but maybe not mandatory?

There may be a link for the Day 6/7 ATK result? Or is that in the Thailand pass app?

Maybe just be flexible, and if it is demanded, say by the hotel, then DL and install it. You can uninstall it after day 7 max. 

Arrival in Thailand
(4) Present the Thailand Pass QR Code (or COE) to the Health Control to carry out checks, then proceed through the Immigration procedures.
(5) Undergo the RT-PCR COVID-19 test at the reserved accommodation, or the pre-arranged test centre.
(Children aged under 6 years have a saliva test.)
(6) Proceed to the hotel by the pre-arranged airport transfer. (Distance from the airport within 2 hours.)
(7) Download and install the MorChana application at the hotel.

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/

When first introduced back in April 2020 it was reported to be a battery hog, as it reports location contantly in real-time. Maybe they corrected that in the new release?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thaialert.app

WHAT'S NEW
1. Improve the overall user experience.
2. Verify users identity by mobile number (within Thailand)
3. Add section to connect Thailand Pass system

Updated November 1, 2021
Size 53M
Current Version 2.1.4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

how can I find this Mor prom on Line app?

It's in Thai, you need to enter your name, your 13 digit Thai ID, and then date of birth in Buddhist calendar. 

1496707844_QR_.jpg.e8b0d9c1034030a1dc127b34c6311287.jpg.dea8f38ec8fb69913b6eb886150d8e50.jpg

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

When first introduced back in April 2020 it was reported to be a battery hog, as it reports location contantly in real-time. Maybe they corrected that in the new release?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thaialert.app

WHAT'S NEW
1. Improve the overall user experience.
2. Verify users identity by mobile number (within Thailand)
3. Add section to connect Thailand Pass system

Thanks for your answer. My ticket is for December, But it is pending, I need to pay today 5 PM GMT and I don't think I will do that with current information.

An app that suppose to track you real-time and according other posts should have GPS and Bluetooth on at all times (No wonder it drain the battery).

Not interested.

It is a bit tempting to listen to all who say, uninstall or turn it of and so on.

But knowing Thailand the app could turn out to be a money spinner for BIB to pay for "little wife". Stop the farang and check if the app is there. 

So I keep looking for options like Canary Islands. Have to decide today we will see.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:34 PM, bokningar said:

Used to be a time when knowledgeable and helpful people would give useful information about most things regarding LOS here on this forum.

I miss those days. :crying:

That must be at least 10 years ago.

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 4:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Some guys....  so paranoid they make life miserable for themselves.

If you don’t like it, just delete the App once you are out of the 1 night AQ.

OR.. continue putting up brick walls and making your own life more of a headache and less enjoyable. 

"Monitor me harder, Daddy Google" - richard_smith237

On 11/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, Smasher said:

Seems you like privacy same as I do. Then here's most effective and universal solution (apart from WiFi tricks): buy a cheapest phone on Android you can find (eg. used) and install the app there. Then you can always leave it in your room (and they know your address anyway). No one is going to check if you have multiple phones ????

Good approach.

If you're a little bit technical you can also setup a "de-Googled" Android using GrapheneOS or LineageOS and avoid not only govt tracking apps but more importantly Google itself.

• Like 1

IF you are asked to download the app (sounds like most people are not), do so then delete it as soon as you leave the hotel.

I enterd on COE system, was told I needed to install app, did so (denying all permissions), no ine ever asked t osee it, deleted it as soon as I left quarantine hotel.

• Like 2