Phuket prepares for more road accidents

webfact

1636139689_1-org.jpg

Mr Anuphap leads the Phuket Road Safety Committee meeting on Thursday (Nov 4). Photo: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: With more tourists expected to arrive on the island following the reopening of the country to international tourists on Monday, Phuket disaster officials are now drawing up plans to hold a public-awareness campaign to help stem the expected rising number of road accidents.

The campaign was decided on at a meeting of the Phuket Road Safety Committee at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Center Region 18 headquarters in Phuket Town on Thursday (Nov 4).

Chairing the meeting was Phuket Provincial Office Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) Anuphap Rodkwan Yodrabum, joined by DDPM Phuket Chief Udomphon Kan and other committee members.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-prepares-for-more-road-accidents-81933.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-11-06

• Haha 1

Banners, pleas, warnings,  plastic cop statues, threats. Worthless and proven by the roadway carnage across the country. These people have no clue what proactive, mobile traffic enforcement is all about.

• Like 1

Highlights the reasoning why I ride my lovely Vespa very short, and only very local distances now (to the nearby beach, along almost deserted quiet road at very early morning times).

The road toll as as we all know is, horrendous! A huge campaign of driver ed. plus road improvement, speed curtailment, radar, cameras, and stiff penalties will (maybe?) curtail such a catastrophic annual road toll over time and generational change/education (maybe not?!?).

As for the insane falang tourist riding behaviour that is another topic altogether.

I'm gunna trade my bella Italia wasp in for a 3 wheeler job so I have more stability on the terrible Phuket roads. I learnt the hard and painful way that biking riding in Thailand eventually ends in lots of gravel rash and hospital visits (if you're as lucky as I have been in my few falls). Anything other than the few KM'S to the beach at Naithon I use the car.

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"17 vinyl banners".

This should really do the job.

And to avoid sleepers at the wheel I suggest free distribution of these little stay awake pills? Proven for "professional" drivers.

Where is police at such meetings?

How about 24/7 checkpoint, DUI and speed checks etc.

Just fantasizing.

They should also give those 'stay awake pills' to the cops.

• Haha 1