Online purchase from overseas...what happens if I refuse to pay local VAT?

VinnieK

11 minutes ago, mokwit said:

You admitted on another thread that you had ACTUALLY NEVER been through the process, so why are you describing how it works?

You're talking about your false claim that a request for a duty re-assessment resulted/results in a fine of five times the correct duty ifit turns out that the correct rate was applied initially?  I know that is not the case because that is not the law.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that import duty rates are specified and cannot, legally, be arbitrarily increased over those specified rates at the whim of Customs officers.   As far as rates on articles imported via TP or couriers such as DHL, FedEx, etc. are concerned, which is what I am commenting on, they are specified and can be appealled if they seem to be excessive.

They are not arbitrarily increased, but rather the officer can exercise discretion to decide which category your item falls under. A good shipping agent should know how to file these appeal to save money 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, digbeth said:

They are not arbitrarily increased, but rather the officer can exercise discretion to decide which category your item falls under. A good shipping agent should know how to file these appeal to save money 

Import rates apply to specific products at specified rates.  No one uses a shipping agent when having items brought in by the postal service or courier companies which is the subject of the OP.

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that import duty rates are specified and cannot, legally, be arbitrarily increased over those specified rates at the whim of Customs officers.   As far as rates on articles imported via TP or couriers such as DHL, FedEx, etc. are concerned, which is what I am commenting on, they are specified and can be appealled if they seem to be excessive.

Wrong. They can apply the rates specified with discretion. So if the "normal rate" is 15% but the schedule allows for a maximum of 100% they can apply the maximum, altjough it seems they do normally apply the normal rate. This was the reason given to me by a CUSTOMS OFFICER as to why she could not give me a definitive rate. This is how I got charged 60% it seems.Why don't you trot along to the Customs website to see for yourself.

You keep on saying the rates can be appealed, the law allows for that but you have never done it.

Can I ask you, have you EVER imported ANYTHING into Thailand because you sound like someone who never actually has.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Wrong. They can apply the rates specified with discretion. So if the "normal rate" is 15% but the schedule allows for a maximum of 100% they can apply the maximum, altjough it seems they do normally apply the normal rate. This was the reason given to me by a CUSTOMS OFFICER as to why she could not give me a definitive rate. This is how I got charged 60% it seems.Why don't you trot along to the Customs website to see for yourself.

You keep on saying the rates can be appealed, the law allows for that but you have never done it.

Can I ask you, have you EVER imported ANYTHING into Thailand because you sound like someone who never actually has.

I've imported many items but bear in mind that what is being discussed here, and what I have always only commented on, are items imported and sent here via Thailand Post or courier companies.   That is what I am referring to, and that alone.   Everything that I have posted about those specific circumstances is factual.

OK, at risk of hijacking the thread I have a question about US forwarding companies.

I am toing and froing with somebody who will only send DHL from Southern Europe and is rigid about labeling/declarations. Clothing valued ~$300.

I have explained my problem - maybe 100% duty on $300. the solution they have suggested is that I open an account with a US forwarding company and they will DHL it to them so they can then forward it incognito by normal post to Thailand. They say this will work as apparently there is no import duty on items declared at less than $800 in the US (sounds surprising), so no US import duty and maybe no Thai import duty as sent by normal post.

SO - is this correct, and what is entailed in setting up one of these accounts - time it takes, minimum cost, mechanics/gotchas to watch out for?

Please, only reply if you have direct info/experience.

Clarifications..

Tried to cancel the (ill-thought) purchase but it had departed already..

When it reached me I saw it was charged w/ 20% import duty

I had already paid German VAT (incl in the price)

Ok..the two are not related but my appetite for a fourth guitar was diminishing fast.

I decided to decline knowing full well that I would never see it again 

Stop throwing good money after bad, as the saying goes..

Btw...I never disputed the bloody tax as I knew full well it was gonna be charged.

Someone mentioned that it will  be sent back to the sender..

Good luck w/that

DHL will take it back for free?

Miracles can happen..

Thanks for all the answers

Edited by VinnieK

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

When it reached me I saw it was charged w/ 20% import duty

I had already paid German VAT (incl in the price)

One of my annoyances is paying VAT at source when you shouldn't have to. I have a couple of regular places I buy similar stuff from in the UK. One of them automatically deducts VAT for items going to Thailand (which pretty much covers delivery) and the other one's payment system says they do but the price actually remains the same. It's not that much and the products are good so it's not a big deal, just an irritation.

I try to avoid couriers but I've found that DHL are OK with low value items. One place I buy from will only send through DHL and, not sure of the exchange rate used, the cost to me would be a bit over the 1500 baht limit but I've never had to pay anything. Once I tried 2 items and I had fees on that. I'm also finding items in the regular post get hit much more often than they used to. They go through customs after they arrive and there's no way to do a deal with your local post office because they've already been assessed and the local PO is just collecting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I try to avoid the international couriers such as Fedex, UPS, etc., as the import duty is always high.

Normal post seems to attract lower rates for some reason.  

Agree totally, I always end up paying more if using fedex, UPS etc and rarely pay anything if its ordinary international post / shippings processed by Thai Post.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I try to avoid the international couriers such as Fedex, UPS, etc., as the import duty is always high.

Don't know the procedure here, but in Taiwan where I lived before coming to Thailand, the big courier companies negotiated deals with customs authorities. In return for a flat fee, the couriers bought the right to self-assess the customs duty owed by the addressee, and then simply pocket it.

I assume this is the norm in many countries, but not publicized for obvious reasons. I happened to hear about it from a recent MBA graduate who found her first job with one of the big 3 couriers.

By contrast, when you use the not-for-profit post office they often don't bother with the tariff on the small items, and for large items they actually consult their ad-valorem tables to find the correct rate.

• Like 1

Its all in the fine print.

Its in the total amount you have agreed to pay.  It's a legal and binding contract.

They'll return the item and your address will be blacklisted from deliveries from the particular online shop.

• Confused 1

On 11/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

If you refuse to pay the insignificant 7% VAT and it's delivered via Thailand Post your post local office won't release it to you.   If it's delivered by a courier company they won't either.  It will end up confiscated by Customs if you refuse to pay what is legally required and definitely will not be returned to the (international) sender.

Of course, someone will be along shortly to insist that they never give in to demands for import duty and VAT and magically, a few days later the package is delivered FOC, expecting us to believe, wrongly, that Thailand Post, or the courier, benevolently pays the duty and tax for those who dispute it!   They don't.

One poster here bought a £2000 item from overseas. 7 pct would have been an additional £140. Not insignificant. 

• Like 1

I generally pay 20% on goods purchased over $1000.00

Last month I was charged 50% on $1500.00 on some apparel purchased from Hong Kong and paid it.

I contacted my customs agent through my work and he said there is no way around it.

When I relocated here 10 years again I even had to pay 20% on personal goods sent in 5 boxes which was a taste of things to come.

If you do not pay the duty the goods are referred to the forwarder and the sender is notified.

If the sender refuses to pay return freight the goods go into storage for 12 months and if not claimed they are then “given a home”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kinnock said:

If you purchase from an international marketing platform, you'll have no little or choice as to the carrier.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

if you refuse to pay what is legally required and definitely will not be returned to the (international) sender.

I would think that it depends of which instruction the international sender has given (I'm talking from previous experience as exporter).

However, most international senders might not wish to carry the costs of a return package and will just waive the package, especially if it's prepaid or of insignificant value. Likely international sellers would not send COD, but if it's a COD consignment, and of value, the internationally sender might tick the option for the parcel to be returned and accept to pay the return costs.