Thai Airways to continue to be national flag carrier despite financial woes

webfact

9 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Well having flown most of the majpor Airlines, I can say quite openly that the two flights I took with Thai Airways was the worst in my air flying days. Overpriced and zero customers care, flew First Class once , worse than ANY Business class of other carriers.

Should have been broken up and Excellent private entities run it at a profit. 

What a shame. Flew biz BKK-FRA 2013 and was delighted. Also flew biz domestically when they had the A330 with proper biz class seats - also great value for money.

I'd avoid them now because of their apparent record when it came to responding to flight cancellations when the pandemic hit.

And also because LH had to chase them up to get my miles accredited back then.

Their 'admin' seems to be rather 'lax'.

8 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

I hope they have the entertainment system working, I flew with them in May 2021 BKK to London, no entertainment at all, I asked a steward why and was told they had not paid/renewed their inflight entertainment licences. When I went to book a flight back to BKK, the Flight Centre (one of the world's largest and most successful independent travel retailers with over 1,300 stores around the globe) said they no longer sold tickets for Thai air because the airline would not give refunds to ticket holders. At this point I chose to fly with an airline that I knew would not be a problem

I was in a Flight Centre branch today, same story. Got to say I've never had a problem with Thai. Especially like the way you book your luggage in Sydney and pick it up in Chiang Mai. Seamless.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OKF said:

just wait and see what the international creditors will do  bcs if they drop out I cannot see how Thai can proceed

just wait and see what happens when they land somewhere outside and an international creditor executes repossession and seizes the aircraft.    I would love that to happen  .....     lol 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Benmart said:

I too share your experience. I will avoid Thai Airways always.

I fully agree, overpriced, bad service. Last flyght before pandemic they even try to save on peanuts and drinks. Treating customers as inmates.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Albaby said:

I was in a Flight Centre branch today, same story. Got to say I've never had a problem with Thai. Especially like the way you book your luggage in Sydney and pick it up in Chiang Mai. Seamless.

A few months back I was in a Flight Centre in Outer Sydney area, pleasant helpful lady suggested to always check what discounts/promotions are current on Cathay Pacific Bkk to Sydney and Melbourne & return.

The amount of debt is staggering.

"Thai Airways International Pcl (THAI. BK) won court approval on Tuesday to restructure a debt load of $12.9 billion as the airline, which is already in bankruptcy protection, seeks to turn around its fortunes."

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/thai-airways-wins-court-approval-restructuring-plan-2021-06-15/

Total flip flop.

Somebody has spoken.

They need jet planes at their disposal on the taxpayers dole again.

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now as an airline employee I have to give a little support for those 'angry old dragons'

As much as a little eye candy for old men is appreciated, you have to understand what a flight attendants role is.

Yes they are doling out the food and booze. But if push comes to push comes to shove you want flight attendants who help you survive a medical emergency, or worse still some aircraft event.

Now I've flown millions of miles on a helluva lot of airlines, and with TG several other SE Asian airlines, I'm not sure in that 'push comes to shove' moment they would be a lot of use.

So, he/she may not be all that pretty, but think about their training and what you trust them to do for you in some crisis. 

Then make your choice

Re TG, well known, some years back, that many cabin crew couldn't swim and had many times avoided attending practice emergency actions training with no consequences. Also well known they had one of the worst cabin crew absentee records in the industry.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:36 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I've always been bemused by the term 'flag carrier'.

As an American we've never had a flag carrier, although maybe PanAm back in the day was the closest we got.

Flag carriers in my mind tend to suggest State enterprises, the likes of BOAC (British Airways), Lufthansa, Iberia, Air Canada etc, all long since now firmly in the private sector.

I thought the idea when the Thai Government decided to drop their majority stake in this turd of an airline was to also drop the idea of it being the 'flag' carrier.

Maybe it's in return for preferential treatment for government ministers. 

40 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Re TG, well known, some years back, that many cabin crew couldn't swim and had many times avoided attending practice emergency actions training with no consequences. Also well known they had one of the worst cabin crew absentee records in the industry.

If an aircraft is landing on the ocean, I don't think it really matters if Thai crew can swim or not, no-one will be swimming... 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

If an aircraft is landing on the ocean, I don't think it really matters if Thai crew can swim or not, no-one will be swimming... 

Point taken, my comment is more about overall attitudes and lack of management controls to ensure international standards are followed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thai Airways. A manufactured image, personified by pretty attendants and promoted with wonderful advertising. All of which hides a dark belly of mismanagement, corruption and nepotism. 

A microcosm of Thailand itself. No other airline could represent Thailand more accurately.

would you have it any other way?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

who is TG?

14 hours ago, Albaby said:

Most full fare airlines will do that.
What they might not do is check your bags in in Bangkok for Sydney, checked-through to another Australian city, I'm not sure?

34 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

PIA - Panic In the Aisles!????

Once did an urgent evening flight on Air India from Hong Kong to New Delhi in India.

Passengers came on board carrying TV sets in boxes and even a small washing machine in a box. They sit for the whole flight with their 'boxes' on their lap and the sides of the boxes extending out into the space of the passengers sitting either side.

I suddenly realized about 1 row in from of me there was 4 or 5 people sitting on the floor, they had unpacked an old style pump up primus stove, it was alight and they were cooking.

A steward came quickly and told them to put the fire out immediately and quickly pack everything up, and told them the airline meal was coming soon.

Instantly several other passengers attacked the steward saying 'leave them alone, they have to eat'.

I told my office to contact the company travel agent (in HK) and cancel the return to HK on Air India rebook me on Cathay Pacific.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Once did an urgent evening flight on Air India from Hong Kong to New Delhi in India.

Passengers came on board carrying TV sets in boxes and even a small washing machine in a box. They sit for the whole flight with their 'boxes' on their lap and the sides of the boxes extending out into the space of the passengers sitting either side.

I suddenly realized about 1 row in from of me there was 4 or 5 people sitting on the floor, they had unpacked an old style pump up primus stove, it was alight and they were cooking.

A steward came quickly and told them to put the fire out immediately and quickly pack everything up, and told them the airline meal was coming soon.

Instantly several other passengers attacked the steward saying 'leave them alone, they have to eat'.

I told my office to contact the company travel agent (in HK) and cancel the return to HK on Air India rebook me on Cathay Pacific.

Many year ago I flew Vishakapatnam to Chennai on Alliance Airlines. I've never had so much food in an airline meal! Very nice Indian food too!

Edited by Andrew65

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I've heard Thai Inter called  'A Hi-So' private club'.

I've heard that rumour too but only on this forum so I'll have to take their word for it. if true then what's the point in getting upset about it? that's how Thailand works and it ain't going to change any time soon. if Thailand got its act together most farang wouldn't be able to afford to live here.

26 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've heard that rumour too but only on this forum so I'll have to take their word for it. if true then what's the point in getting upset about it? that's how Thailand works and it ain't going to change any time soon. if Thailand got its act together most farang wouldn't be able to afford to live here.

When you see:

- Thai women with little kids and baby boarding a TG flight and being deliberately ignored by the flying waitresses, and you see other Thai and farang people helping get the family seated, keeping the little kids occupied while the mother is feeding the baby, and

- Your own Thai staff consulting continuously complain about the lack of service and the rudeness of the flying waitresses on TG,

- My Thai son flew (18 / 19 yrs old)  with me several times and whispered comments about their rudeness. One time he asked for some water, totally ignored. I eventually got up and went to the galley and asked for a glass of water for him. 

Then you tend to get a bit annoyed/upset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now as an airline employee I have to give a little support for those 'angry old dragons'

As much as a little eye candy for old men is appreciated, you have to understand what a flight attendants role is.

Yes they are doling out the food and booze. But if push comes to push comes to shove you want flight attendants who help you survive a medical emergency, or worse still some aircraft event.

Now I've flown millions of miles on a helluva lot of airlines, and with TG several other SE Asian airlines, I'm not sure in that 'push comes to shove' moment they would be a lot of use.

So, he/she may not be all that pretty, but think about their training and what you trust them to do for you in some crisis. 

Then make your choice

I was an airline pilot for 44 years. My experience with cabin crew with the airlines I flew for, including two Thai airlines, was that, although they were proficient at putting on make up, whenever there was any abnormal situation or emergency they were totally useless and couldn't remember their procedures.