Are Thai Retirement Visa Requirements Changing

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

How do you know this? When it changed from 400k to 800k people weren't grandfathered.

Actually, I think the requirement for grand-fathering was dependent on how many previous extensions you had continuously. So, maybe not as easy as I first posted. 

Just now, KarenBravo said:

Actually, I think the requirement for grand-fathering was dependent on how many previous extensions you had continuously. So, maybe not as easy as I first posted. 

Not how many ..... only they should being continuous no pause or change in it  so it is stated .

Even in the combination methode  no complete grandfathering , as NOW  the money must be in a active upfront  transferrin ....., not as before anymore  just brought  proof you are entitled to receive amount coming ....(which made it like a credit note ....????, not any more now , must be proven came on bank in monthly deposits )

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So do the current, actual requirements and the first few Google results referred only to the correct, current IB requirements!  Now you know.   

By the way, what does it matter when it's clear that the IB requirements have not changed?

Don’t pop a vessel. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not how many ..... only they should being continuous no pause or change in it  so it is stated .

Even in the combination methode  no complete grandfathering , as NOW  the money must be in a active upfront  transferrin ....., not as before anymore  just brought  proof you are entitled to receive amount coming ....(which made it like a credit note ....????, not any more now , must be proven came on bank in monthly deposits )

grand-fathering was dependent on how many previous extensions you had continuously.

Doesn't my statement say that.

Just now, KarenBravo said:

grand-fathering was dependent on how many previous extensions you had continuously.

Doesn't my statement say that.

yes ! ,

but it made much attention on the " how many " ..... made thinking you needed many , while even 1 would be sufficient ...., 

same same but a little different...As they sai in Thai ????

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Certainly an option. 

Friend of mine seriously rich (don't know why he just doesn't have a 20 year PE) ....uses agents for everything. Maybe spends 20k per year.

I don't think it's strange at all. 

For me being fully retired, I'm still doing it myself as my extension is very simple process. 

I use an agent for everything, costs 8,000 THB (have the 800k in the bank) on top of the usual 1,900 THB Immigration fee for annual extension & 200 THB x 4 for 90 day reports (can’t do them online at the moment as the app has me on overstay since 27th September ???? )

So 8,800 THB (approx 170 THB per week) covers the agent fees for the year 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

So 8,800 THB (approx 170 THB per week) covers the agent fees for the year 

Yes and that's a good plan.

When agent also obtains extension without funds in the bank then naturally cost up.

For extension alone would be ~15k.

Yes some less some more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes and that's a good plan.

When agent also obtains extension without funds in the bank then naturally cost up.

For extension alone would be ~15k.

Yes some less some more.

When land borders open and then covid extensions disappear , they go probably rise prices as now they have fewer customers as extensions are easy to get under that name of "covid extensions" , and hence those need other options ... 

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

When land borders open and then covid extensions disappear , they go probably rise prices as now they have fewer customers as extensions are easy to get under that name of "covid extensions" , and hence those need other options ... 

I paid 7,000 pre-COVID & it’s only 8,000 now as I’ve moved from Bangkok to Jomtien immigration.

TBH all they are doing is filling in the forms, making sure all the paperwork is in order & getting you seen quickly once you arrive (though my BKK agent also used to drive you to CW) - but it’s worth it to me to ensure I don’t have to go back because something is wrong with my paperwork.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, sqwakvfr said:

The 1.2 Million Baht and the 100,000 Baht was posted on the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website for about  a week.  I just checked the website now and this is what is posted:

4.   Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing
      – a deposit of the amount equal to and not less t
han 800,000 Baht; or
      – an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 
65,000 Baht; or 
      – a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht. 
      – In the case o
f submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank
        (an original copy) is required. 

Yes, someone made a mistake here - they accidentally let slip their plans for the future.

This was no typo, it's in a plan somewhere. Plenty of people seem to be disparaging the guy from the video, I've never heard of him before but he's reporting what he saw and I for one can very much believe that this will happen but it was supposed to be kept secret for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"He suggests having 1.2 million in the bank rather than the present 800,000 baht".

No, he does not suggest that!   He specifically stated that he does not know about any changes and it is not an official Immigration Bureau change at the time of the video.

"With the banks only guaranteeing 1m baht I think this unlikely".

Why?  Are you suggesting that no one in Thailand will keep than B1m in their accounts in future?

Perhaps you know why the banks have lowered their limit of guarantee from 2m to 1 m because I certainly do not. You are welcome to keep your millions all in the same account-good luck!

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

How do you know this? When it changed from 400k to 800k people weren't grandfathered.

The change done in 2003 was from 600k to 800k baht. No grandfathering was done for that increase.

When they did the big change in 1998 they did have grandfather clause for those that were on extensions then.

This from the current immigration order in clause 2.22.

image.png.4793b9bae487c016b628594d273e92e6.png

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The change done in 2003 was from 600k to 800k baht. No grandfathering was done for that increase.

When they did the big change in 1998 they did have grandfather clause for those that were on extensions then.

This from the current immigration order in clause 2.22.

image.png.4793b9bae487c016b628594d273e92e6.png

but why they point than in point 6 to 500 000baht ?

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, someone made a mistake here - they accidentally let slip their plans for the future.

This was no typo, it's in a plan somewhere. Plenty of people seem to be disparaging the guy from the video, I've never heard of him before but he's reporting what he saw and I for one can very much believe that this will happen but it was supposed to be kept secret for now.

Any proof whatsoever? Or did you just pull a conspiracy theory from your behind?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 10:34 AM, grain said:

I've been expecting the financial requirements to be increased for the past couple of years, and it won't surprise me one bit to see them go up next year. My guess is 1.2 mill will become the new requirement, possibly 1.5 mill, but unlikely to be more than that. Of course this is just my hunch. Medical insurance also seems to be something they are inching towards as a requirement for all foreigners. And if so this will spell the end for many aged retirees, me included, who won't be able to get, or afford, medical insurance. Now's the time to be putting some thought to preparing a Plan B.

Medical insurance IS definitely increasing. In fact for NEW O-A, O-X and possibly O visa applications it has already increased to minimum 3 million baht cover, including covid, effective from 1 October this year. I have received confirmation from my health insurance company and a golf friend, who is an Immigration Police Captain, that the increase in health insurance will also be required for extensions of stay with effect from 1st Sept 2022.

I also note that Integrity Legal did not point out what Joe had pointed out in a previous post on this topic. The consulate web site that is being referred to has this new information posted under their E-Visa section. The existing requirements are still posted under the requirements for Non Imm O-A based on retirement. So once again we have conflicting information on a Thai Govt web site which just continues to add to the confusion.  However, that being said, with the increase in health insurance already in the works, it will only be a matter of time before the financial requirements are increased too.

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether the financial requirements will be grandfathered as they have been for increases in the past.

10 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

So once again we have conflicting information on a Thai Govt web site which just continues to add to the confusion.  However, that being said, with the increase in health insurance already in the works, it will only be a matter of time before the financial requirements are increased too.

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether the financial requirements will be grandfathered as they have been for increases in the past.

Why would you think that? The two are not connected and health insurance is not applicable to holders of Non-Imm O for reason of retirement.

"A matter of time", yes maybe in a few years.

Edited by KarenBravo