Here’s why fish have been washing up on Hua Hin beach

webfact

255039490_5106578519358176_4627201088103511528_n-696x522.jpg

By Paul Andrews

Hua Hin beach was a hive of activity on Sunday as people flocked to catch fish that were much closer to the shore than normal.

The reason being that excess rainwater, including discharge from dams and rivers, washes into the sea, altering the chemical balance in the seawater resulting in a reduction in oxygen levels. This in turn means that the fish are forced closer to the surface in order to try and breath.

It is a phenomenon that roughly translates to “squeezing water”, with previous years seeing thousands of fish washed onto the shore after oxygen levels plummeted.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/heres-why-fish-have-been-washing-up-on-hua-hin-beach/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2021-11-09

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They arrest people for touching sea slugs or picking up old shells from the beach

Maybe someone was wearing the wrong sun lotion 

I'm not buying the fresh/rain water explanation - more likely they came in to feed on something that we put there - any guesses

• Like 1

it is of course true that sea water fish are very sensitive to salt levels as are fresh water fish (with some exceptions) but the salt levels will only be affected very close to shore or at the mouths of rivers etc, all the fish have to do is swim to deeper water or swim deep away from the shore 

Who knows why this is happening but we do know that Thais will not take the blame for anything 

5 hours ago, smedly said:

They arrest people for touching sea slugs or picking up old shells from the beach

Maybe someone was wearing the wrong sun lotion 

I'm not buying the fresh/rain water explanation - more likely they came in to feed on something that we put there - any guesses

It happens from time to time after heavy rain, and the Thais come in droves to collect the stranded fish.

33 minutes ago, wombat said:

with all the different theories about why, my pro-active stance is to avoid eating fish for a few weeks.
thanks for the heads up.

It could be due to HAB  offshore.  The Harmful Algae Blooms  have a lot to answer for !    You can't spot them standing on a beach but stallite imagery should be enough to spot them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If it was low levels of oxygen ,I am sure the fish would have the

sense to swim to deeper waters... I could not be the chemicals,

sewerage  , that has washed into the sea. or the must have

really stupid fish in Hua Hin......

regards Worgeordie

It only takes one stupid fish and the rest will follow same with people

18 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Yeash the Thais w ere  all  over the beach at Sam roi yot down to Hua  hin with nets.................and after theyd  gone on Sunday there was  more sheite  on the beach from their  food  than anything else.....disgusting filthy pigs, they couldnt care  less

Must have been DIRTY Farangs  555555

18 hours ago, tonray said:

Was there two weeks ago...many Box Jellyfish washed up on the shore at low tide....gotta be careful of those nasty ones

Hopefully not to bad next week.  We're going on a family vacation there next week.

My two years old boy is so curious.  Definitely have to keep on eye for washed up Jellyfish on the beach.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The reason being that excess rainwater, including discharge from dams and rivers, washes into the sea, altering the chemical balance in the seawater resulting in a reduction in oxygen levels. This in turn means that the fish are forced closer to the surface in order to try and breath.

what bs is this,   who makes this stuff up because anyone with half a brain can surely see right through this lame excuse.    imo

47 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Hopefully not to bad next week.  We're going on a family vacation there next week.

My two years old boy is so curious.  Definitely have to keep on eye for washed up Jellyfish on the beach.

Lots of Thai parents with their kids in the water seemingly not too concerned but I believe it's likely they just don't know about the dangers or don't care. Just be careful...a young Russian boy died a few months back from a sting.

• Like 1