overstay

Hello everyone, 

My visa expires 14 November (this month), as far I had a Covid-19 extentions visas every two months. Is there any chance they will extend my visa this one more time? Or would I need to go back to my country?

And how about overstay, do I go to jail if i do overstay? I know about 500baht fine every day until it reaches maximum of 20000baht and ban to enter Thailand for specific time. But how about other consequences? Is it very dangerous to overstay?

• Confused 2

The only way you will be arrested is if you are stopped by a police officer while on overstay. If you do not get stopped by an officer before making it to the airport and paying the fine during exit, you will have no problem. Of course, there is the possibility that immigration notices your overstay and sends officers to your residence to arrest you. Unlikely, but possible.

That said, I would never risk it. Being locked up in the detention center is a nightmare, and one that I would never risk. I would either get the visa sorted, or I would exit. As for blacklisting, that does not happen until your overstay reaches 90 days, if you are not arrested, but occurs no matter how many days if you are arrested.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, timendres said:

The only way you will be arrested is if you are stopped by a police officer while on overstay. If you do not get stopped by an officer before making it to the airport and paying the fine during exit, you will have no problem. Of course, there is the possibility that immigration notices your overstay and sends officers to your residence to arrest you. Unlikely, but possible.

That said, I would never risk it. Being locked up in the detention center is a nightmare, and one that I would never risk. I would either get the visa sorted, or I would exit. As for blacklisting, that does not happen until your overstay reaches 90 days, if you are not arrested, but occurs no matter how many days if you are arrested.

So I'm safe once at the airport? They will ask me to pay money and give ban but won't put into jail and let me fly away?

10 minutes ago, timendres said:

That is correct. And if your overstay is under 90 days, you will not be blacklisted.

And you think would it help if my landlord unregistered me from the house? ( on the paper for immigration) (He's my friend so he wouldn't mind to do it)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

''And how about overstay, do I go to jail if i do overstay? ''

If immigration police catch a person out and about in Thailand whilst even on 1 day overstay, then they will be detained. Overstayers detained get put in an immigration detention centre which is sort of like a jail and there they stay until deported.

It is advisable not to overstay.

10 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

covid extentions are likely to continue indefinitely and certainly until 26 Nov.

go to Immi. tomorrow. you are imagining a non - existent problem. 

no need to leave the country just yet…….

Wow! So I can still extend for another 2  months?:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

If immigration police catch a person out and about in Thailand whilst even on 1 day overstay, then they will be detained. Overstayers detained get put in an immigration detention centre which is sort of like a jail and there they stay until deported.

Im not gonna die in jail am I? 

Edited by pcholewska
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pcholewska said:

My visa expires 14 November (this month), as far I had a Covid-19 extentions visas every two months. Is there any chance they will extend my visa this one more time? Or would I need to go back to my country?

Covid extensions will be available until at least November 26th, so just go to immigration today or tomorrow (before you current permission to stay expires) and get another one. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give you another extension.

Please don't consider overstaying deliberately. There's a good chance it would come back to bite you later. There's also no need for it.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 8:40 AM, pcholewska said:

What home? I live abroad since 18

What visa do you want me to get  in 3 days before the expiration date?

Why wouldn't you answer on the given question?

You already have the intention of an overstay....why break the law ?

On 11/10/2021 at 8:40 AM, pcholewska said:

What home? I live abroad since 18

Why wouldn't you answer on the given question?

Why wouldn't you plan in advance...whose fault is it if you have only 3 days...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

I endorse the advice not to overstay, especially while there are good alternatives.

Unless you have the wrong skin colour, it is very unlikely that the police (even the immigration officials) will actually detain you for a short overstay under normal circumstances, though it absolutely could happen. Usually, they will make clear that they are aware of your status, and tell you to leave via the airport as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Covid extensions will be available until at least November 26th, so just go to immigration today or tomorrow (before you current permission to stay expires) and get another one. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give you another extension.

Please don't consider overstaying deliberately. There's a good chance it would come back to bite you later. There's also no need for it.

Ofcourse I'm not gonna overstay if there is no need to do that!

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

It will for sure come back at me later no doubts, so I am asking questions to be aware what to expect 

13 hours ago, pcholewska said:

Think about your visa options a bit earlier next time as they are quite important for your legal stay in a country. You should know that after being abroad that long.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1