So - how do you see climate change effects Thailand?

Thunglom

11 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Climate deniers seem to start with the fact they haven't noticed at their local town.

Or that most scientists don't believe its true.

Then it's that most scientists believe it but they are corrupt.

Then it's climate change is happening but its part of a natural cycle.  

Then it's man made climate change is happening but it won't be bad.

Then it's that we'll just have to adapt.

They see anyone trying to do something as short sighted do gooders influenced by the secret rich illuminati or something. 

To be honest I don't give the topic much thought, but the outright denial that some action might be appropriate, is somewhat confounding. It is as if, for some, the possible fact that there are people who are smarter than them, and actually can take action, goes against their outlook that anyone with education and knowledge and some power to do good must ultimately be greedy, corrupt, or foolish. 

LOL.

Please explain why the rain forests continue to get cut down at a rapid rate when they are IMO the best carbon storage on the planet?

Explain why the only option being promoted for transport is batteries when hydrogen is a better solution?

Explain why most of the options being pursued ( electric cars, windmills, solar panels ) are profitable to certain people, and good options that are not profitable are not being pursued?

Explain why nuclear is being abandoned when it is the best way to continuously generate large amounts of electricity without producing carbon? France has PROVEN it is safe and economical to use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

Please explain why the rain forests continue to get cut down at a rapid rate when they are IMO the best carbon storage on the planet?

Explain why the only option being promoted for transport is batteries when hydrogen is a better solution?

Explain why most of the options being pursued ( electric cars, windmills, solar panels ) are profitable to certain people, and good options that are not profitable are not being pursued?

Explain why nuclear is being abandoned when it is the best way to continuously generate large amounts of electricity without producing carbon? France has PROVEN it is safe and economical to use.

My post was about climate change denial.

Having accepted it, I concur, the solution  is harder where economic interests have to be a factor and politics plays a big part. The Australian Labour govt were impressive at the last election with a decent climate policy. They unexpectedly lost due to coal mining seats going Liberal. Now both parties support coal mining but one is a touch more reasonable.

I agree on nuclear - again it is politics that stops it because people are scared. Chernobyl left a strong mark. Its not fair too that India and China get so many breaks too for being undeveloped. Maybe a bit but they get too much.

So all that stuff is true but there's signs of hope I suppose. But if people can't even agree there is climate change then the solutions aren't even considered. I think though there's definitely money being made all over the place but I think there is good stuff that hopefully outweighs the dodgy stuff. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I agree on nuclear - again it is politics that stops it because people are scared. Chernobyl left a strong mark.

Don't forget the ongoing Fukashima Daiichi disaster  ,they still have no idea what to do with all the contaminated  cooling water the reactors themself and contamination removed from top soil, deadly radioactive for thousands of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What science did you get your degree in?

ah - "argumentum ad verecundiam", i a form of argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument.  - this is regarded as a fallacy by many and used by those who have no argument themselves.

try to focus on the message rather than the messenger?

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

Climate change affecting Thailand and the effects of climate change on Thailand.

Thailand’s performance at COP 26 was at best disappointing. Prayuth’s trip to Glasgow was more for appearances’ sake than anything else. The country is in the world top twenty when it comes to greenhouse emissions.

Prayut declared climate change to be “a matter of life and death” and claimed Thailand is determined to reach a net-zero emissions target by 2065 which is 15 years after the scientific deadline.

Looking at their commitments it gives the impression that the powers that be in Thailand simply don’t buy into MMCC – their comments are eigned not for action but to keep the world community at bay.

Effects – Thailand is already suffering from an increased number of climatic events that are attributed to climate change.

There was kingdom the worst drought in four decades last year, and Chiang Mai earned the ignominious title of most polluted city in the world for several days due to its smog problem. Bangkok and surrounding provinces are all vulnerable to rising sea levels. Riverside districts in Bangkok are already swamped by rising waters, and one forecast suggests that all of Bangkok could be underwater by 2050. - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12808-z

TDRI  - Thailand Development Research Institute has said that operational costs and trade restrictions driven by climate change could result in nearly a 44% reduction in GDP. 

BUT - Thailand has not signed any key agreements at COP26. No agreement to end deforestation by 2030.

No agreement  to cut methane emissions by 30 percent in or before 2030. (even Brazil signed up to this)

No agreement to the pact to end coal use.

It seems to me that whilst Thailand is vry much in the firing line, the authorities are very much in a state of denial.

12 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

India does not border Thailand so refugees from India are irrelevant. Migration? May be? But still I doubt a large scale migration to Thailand. India's eye is on America. That is where they will go and shine and earn double the income of European-American. 

I think you are misinformed as to how migration occurs - it is international not necessarily just across neighbours borders 

20 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

What the hell should I do more to mark my post as ironic.

I write millimeters in caps, i call a 7 centimeters high dam "huge".

Maybe I should mention that the "sinking islands of Tuvalu" got biger?

there is of course an inability of people to understand large numbers - whether high or low value. One example to bear in mind is to imagine a perfect balance with a million tons of rice on each arm.....what happens if you add one grain of rice to one side?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

It seems to me that whilst Thailand is vry much in the firing line, the authorities are very much in a state of denial.

That is a bit harsh.

Thailand’s state-owned Electricity Generating Authority (EGAT) will now no longer build two proposed coal-fired power plants and will instead build a Bt34 billion ($1.03bn) gas-fired complex.

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/thailand-to-replace-coal-fired-plants-with-gas-fired-complex#:~:text=Thailand's state-owned Electricity Generating,bn) gas-fired complex.

If the countries that created the problem in the first place put their hand in their pocket, Thailand and other poorer nations could move a bit faster.

The US rhetoric over India and China is nothing more than a cover to take the heat off their own oil industry.

The UK is even worse, having cut the foreign aid budget they make a big issue over trying to help  poorer nations, blatant hypocrisy. 

There is no scientific deadline as such, only lip service to certain scenarios, the political will in any country to meet proposed deadlines will appear with the funding.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:03 AM, BritManToo said:

There will be no anthropological climate change.

Anthropological is a hard word to spell, so most people just leave it out.

You are so right - anthropology (adjective = anthropological) - is the study of humans and is a logical fallacy when linked to climate change. Climate refers to regions not people. 

The word associated with climate change is "anthropogenic" - which means generate by humans.

I think spelling is difficult - I am dyslexic but meaning is more important. I think we get your meaning but due to a lack of vigilance, you seem to have used a malapropism - amusing, but it does rather show the lack of intellectual vigour one sees so much in climate deniers.

Many people make mistakes due to computer spellchecks and predictive text, but through it all there needs to be a determination to get your facts right.

due to a lack of vigilance, you seem to have used a malapropism - amusing, but it does rather show the lack of intellectual vigour one sees so much in climate deniers.

"anthropomorphism" is also incorrect = is the tribulation of human characteristics - usually to animals.

Anthrop - is the part of the word that means "human" - the second half specifies its usage

Logic is the study  of something

genus is  make

morph is to change.

when it comes to spelling I think it's easiest to use "MMCC" = man made climate change

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is a bit harsh.

Thailand’s state-owned Electricity Generating Authority (EGAT) will now no longer build two proposed coal-fired power plants and will instead build a Bt34 billion ($1.03bn) gas-fired complex.

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/thailand-to-replace-coal-fired-plants-with-gas-fired-complex#:~:text=Thailand's state-owned Electricity Generating,bn) gas-fired complex.

If the countries that created the problem in the first place put their hand in their pocket, Thailand and other poorer nations could move a bit faster.

The US rhetoric over India and China is nothing more than a cover to take the heat off their own oil industry.

The UK is even worse, having cut the foreign aid budget they make a big issue over trying to help  poorer nations, blatant hypocrisy. 

There is no scientific deadline as such, only lip service to certain scenarios, the political will in any country to meet proposed deadlines will appear with the funding.

Not at all harsh Yes - you are again missing out on large numbers - th single building of a large solar farm is not necessarily evidence of Thailand's overall policies.

Cina is the biggest producer of slot engird cells and has a massive alternative energy policy but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is still opening new coal mines.

Early industrialised countries have contributed most to the current situation but it doesn't alter the present situation that requires ALL countries - regardless of blame - to make adjustments.

another fact is to consider the carbon footprint per capita - Thailand has and increasingly large contribution but the biggest per capita is Australia.

"

There is no scientific deadline as such, only lip service to certain scenarios, the political will in any country to meet proposed deadlines will appear with the funding."

I totally agree with this but it in no way mitigates or deflects from Thailand's policy of not doing anything significant.

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Not at all harsh Yes - you are again missing out on large numbers - th single building of a large solar farm is not necessarily evidence of Thailand's overall policies.

Cina is the biggest producer of slot engird cells and has a massive alternative energy policy but it doesn't detract from the fact that it is still opening new coal mines.

Early industrialised countries have contributed most to the current situation but it doesn't alter the present situation that requires ALL countries - regardless of blame - to make adjustments.

another fact is to consider the carbon footprint per capita - Thailand has and increasingly large contribution but the biggest per capita is Australia.

"

There is no scientific deadline as such, only lip service to certain scenarios, the political will in any country to meet proposed deadlines will appear with the funding."

I totally agree with this but it in no way mitigates or deflects from Thailand's policy of not doing anything significant.

PS - gas fired whilst better than coal - is still fossil fuel

It's worth noting that most of Western Europe is powered largely or partly by gas  - this is reflected in a remarkable low carbon fotprintcompared to USA for instance. however the politics surrounding this ae very com[plicated.

Thailand is setting up huge facilities for the importation of gas and fossil fuels to power the nation and the petrochemical industry in Chonburi/Rayong region - the pollution in this area is dire.

Edited by Thunglom

On 11/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't think anything has changed or will change.

Fires, floods and storms have always happened and always will happen.

The sea levels won't change (in our or our children's lifetimes).

Ahem...

New Study Confirms Dangerous Sea Level Rise Projections Are Accurate

A new study from Australian and Chinese researchers adds weight to scientists' warnings from recent United Nations reports about how sea levels are expected to rise dangerously in the coming decades because of human activity that's driving global heating.

The research, published Friday in the journal Nature Communications, found that sea level rise projections for this century "are on the money when tested against satellite and tide-gauge observations," as a statement from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) summarized.

The researchers looked at projections from the Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as well as the body's Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC), which include multiple representative concentration pathway (RCP) scenarios for how much humanity reins in greenhouse gas emissions.

Here's a link to the actual research.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-21265-6

On 11/12/2021 at 8:35 PM, BritManToo said:

If there were a chance of imminent and sudden change the banks wouldn't still be lending 30 year mortgages on sea front properties, and world leaders wouldn't still be buying beachfront properties. The money says no change!

And even if there were changes it would be entirely natural and humanity would have no way of altering what will happen.

More than 1M Floridians’ flood insurance rates to spike with new FEMA program

Florida’s businesses and homeowners are seeing double-digit rate increases as high as 45% in property insurance premiums as insurers cite ballooning reinsurance costs, “loss creep” from 2017-18 hurricanes and coastal flooding among factors driving up costs.

But more than 1 million — at least — of 1.729 million Florida properties covered under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) are going to see additional significant boosts beginning next year in flood insurance rates under the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Risk Rating 2.0 program that went into effect Friday.

https://www.chronicleonline.com/news/local/more-than-1m-floridians-flood-insurance-rates-to-spike-with-new-fema-program/article_cf000f42-22e7-11ec-8d8a-ab2b43655661.html

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 8:55 PM, zzaa09 said:

Simply, much ado about nothing. 

Yet, the whole climate change thing is terribly profitable - in one form or another - for numerous circles.

Right. The puny and impoverished fossil fuel industry hasn't got a chance against the massive power of Big Green

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, toolpush said:

Apparently you haven't learned that the 97% number is bogus and has been disproven many times?

Apparently, you believe whatever dodgy denialists claim. But you do have a point. The consensus has definitely changed

More than 99.9% of studies agree: Humans caused climate change
More than 99.9% of peer-reviewed scientific papers agree that climate change is mainly caused by humans, according to a new survey of 88,125 climate-related studies.

The research updates a similar 2013 paper revealing that 97% of studies published between 1991 and 2012 supported the idea that human activities are altering Earth’s climate. The current survey examines the literature published from 2012 to November 2020 to explore whether the consensus has changed.

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/10/more-999-studies-agree-humans-caused-climate-change

:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:
On 11/12/2021 at 8:56 PM, Moonlover said:

Where did it reach 60 degrees?

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

kuwait and iraq and no rain for years

The evidence from Aljazeera that I've already posted says otherwise. Where's your evidence?

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I think you are misinformed as to how migration occurs - it is international not necessarily just across neighbours borders 

I understand. Just like thousands of people, unable to find brides and liv a decent life in their home country,  migrated to Thailand. India's migration target is America  where they can earn double the amount of native European Americans.  

On 11/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't think anything has changed or will change.

Fires, floods and storms have always happened and always will happen.

The sea levels won't change (in our or our children's lifetimes).

this is incorrect - it is the frequency and severity - it has been confirmed that  storm surges are likely to be more severe because sea levels are rising, and storms are getting demonstrably stronger in terms of wind speed. These increases in frequency and severity also apply to drought, fires etc. Sea levels already HAVE changed and the change is accelerating.

If you want to understand this, read the Met office explanation below.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/climate/climate-and-extreme-weather

Edited by Thunglom

although I don't think a single graph is often very helpful, the one below is from a good source and makes a clear distinction between geophysical events and climate-related events....... all 3 of with are going to affect Thailand more and more.

frequency-of-extremes-graph---1980-2019.jpg

Edited by Thunglom

On 11/13/2021 at 6:20 AM, toolpush said:

Apparently you haven't learned that the 97% number is bogus and has been disproven many times?

Hilarious - I doubt if even the most optimistic climate denier could support that comment with any back yp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I understand. Just like thousands of people, unable to find brides and liv a decent life in their home country,  migrated to Thailand. India's migration target is America  where they can earn double the amount of native European Americans.  

how do you account for th=ose people trying to get from Belarus to Poland or France to UK?

Edited by Thunglom

This thread seems to have disintegrated into a fixation about sea levels. I was hoping to hear something about how people thought it might affect Thailand, I'm sure there is more than just sea levels.

A stable climate is essential for a stable economy and ever increasing variations in weather will disrupt this.

People don't seem to think about other ramifications....such as food production drops due to drought, floods, and extreme heat? This is likely to cause food prices to ries and a lot of stuff to be scarce. 

If storms continue to grow more violent, there is likely to be damage to domiciles, business, and infrastructure. This would affect all of the country regardless of height above sea-level.

"Scientists have published more than 350 peer-reviewed studies looking at weather extremes around the world" - carbonbrief.org

The map below map has locations and a list of papers for research into extreme weather events and their links to MMCC – go to the web site for full interactive functions that will then lead you to the papers.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-how-climate-change-affects-extreme-weather-around-the-world

"The map above shows 405 extreme weather events and trends across the globe for which scientists have carried out attribution studies..." - carbonbrief

THere's not a lot for Thailand there but it gives a good overall view.

Even as we speak the South and Samui is experiencing major flooding. I have done flood relief down there in the past, the current situation on Samui needs to be analysed before and definite conclusions can be made - again one would look at severity and frequency. I'd not be surprised to hear that the jet stream will be a factor in this - also affected by climate change

Edited by Thunglom