The Loud exhaust gang - The net is tightening !

properperson

9 minutes ago, piston broke said:

It's illegal to modify a bike once it has left the factory ( only exception is TIS stamped exhausts, which meet the 95db noise limit ) .

I believe they are called deconstructed or some such word. I.e. take a TIS exhaust cut it open , remove the restrictive bits and reassemble. Then sell on Lazada. Mostly for Honda Wave. But...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe they are called deconstructed or some such word. I.e. take a TIS exhaust cut it open , remove the restrictive bits and reassemble.

Did the same on my 650 stock slinceer ass'y. Kept the CAT. Louder but not obnoxious.

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I wasn't aware that Papa is Arabic?

Got his own language, apparently - part Klingon, part Arabic and part Detroit teenage black kid ... sadly translations are not available on google translate., so i'm bluggered what the hell he's harping on about most of the time.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, properperson said:

The net is definately tightening .....

I've just Sold my Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle....

One of the few Ducatis that comes from the (Thailand) factory with a street legal / Thai TIS stamped system.....

Prior to the sale, i took it up  to the MOT Test Centre for it's  annual check, so i could get the tax sticker.....

Drove in - Tester came over, took one look at the Termi name on the pipe pipe and said "cannot" - i went into the office and told the lady that it was "standard fit" - She said they were clamping down now and they couldn't pass it .....

I went home, downloaded an exhaust picture from Full throttle borchure and went back - still not happy - so i get on my hands an knees and remove the alloy covers to expost the pipes with the TIS stamps - Tester says "OK" .....

Then he goes to the back of the bike and looks at the (factory fitted) lower mudguard / plate holder - "cannot" he says...

i get the lady out the office and tell her and the tester that this is 100% how it came out of the factory - But they were not budging and unfortunately the part of the brochure i'd downloaded only showed a close up of the Termi pipe ....

So back home, downloaded and printed off the whole brochure, and put a red ring round the number plate holder and the termi pipe ....

Back to the Test centre - showed them the brochure - Did the test, which it passed...

I was spitting feathers as i put the exhaust covers back on....

252082732_644879276510190_3914635856839777371_n.png

251565327_1269077166900245_1960342883738520263_n.png

252115313_175690358101994_8762366783579629203_n.jpg

yep, not a good time to be modding yer ( credit Poppa) bike - i see many modd'd bikes for sale and feel sorry for the poor fella who unknowingly buys it and then turns up with all the papers at the transfer centre, only to be told to "do one" (poppa) .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

It's got everything to do with loud exhausts - It's illegal to modify a bike once it has left the factory ( only exception is TIS stamped exhausts, which meet the 95db noise limit ) .

As standard fit, a Harley exhaust will have to pass very strict sound and emission laws in the US  - A typical Harley over here will have had the legal zorst ( credit Poppa Al) replaced with some wizz bang nonsense, and thus make stupid anti social noise levels, way way above the legal levels.

There is no way in the reign of pig's puddin' that the Thai legal exhaust sound limit of 95DB has been increased to 99db Just for Harleys - Made me chuckle though ...

95db is for small bikes considered up to 400cc 99db is for big bikes. 

What it is offering grasses is rewards for reporting illegal riding.

Even a TIS box can be noisy.

What about older bikes pre-TIS Regs. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, properperson said:

One of the few Ducatis that comes from the (Thailand) factory with a street legal / Thai TIS stamped system.....

Prior to the sale, i took it up  to the MOT Test Centre for it's  annual check, so i could get the tax sticker.....

Drove in - Tester came over, took one look at the Termi name on the pipe pipe and said "cannot" - i went into the office and told the lady that it was "standard fit" - She said they were clamping down now and they couldn't pass it .....

I went home, downloaded an exhaust picture from Full throttle borchure and went back - still not happy - so i get on my hands an knees and remove the alloy covers to expost the pipes with the TIS stamps - Tester says "OK" .....

Then he goes to the back of the bike and looks at the (factory fitted) lower mudguard / plate holder - "cannot" he says...

i get the lady out the office and tell her and the tester that this is 100% how it came out of the factory - But they were not budging and unfortunately the part of the brochure i'd downloaded only showed a close up of the Termi pipe ....

So back home, downloaded and printed off the whole brochure, and put a red ring round the number plate holder and the termi pipe ....

Back to the Test centre - showed them the brochure - Did the test, which it passed...

That's one lousy test centre you should of taken the bike to a DLT for a test and reported the test center. 

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

yep, not a good time to be modding yer ( credit Poppa) bike - i see many modd'd bikes for sale and feel sorry for the poor fella who unknowingly buys it and then turns up with all the papers at the transfer centre, only to be told to "do one" (poppa) .

Not at all DLT's mod can still be legal.

They pass my bike because it's old before any Regs. 

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

95db is for small bikes considered up to 400cc 99db is for big bikes. 

What it is offering grasses is rewards for reporting illegal riding.

Even a TIT box can be noisy.

What about older bikes pre-TIT Regs. 

There is no distinction between smaller and bigger bikes for about 20 years. Back then there was a period where the regulations were different for bikes under and over 125cc.

It is 95 dB(A) for all now.

Measured at half the RPM where it makes max power or 3/4 if the max power is at less than 5000 RPM.

Outside that RPM is another story. Welcome to the concept of electronically actuated exhaust valves.

Source: https://ia802902.us.archive.org/11/items/th.cs.341.e.2543/th.cs.341.e.2543.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

There is no distinction between smaller and bigger bikes for about 20 years. Back then there was a period where the regulations were different for bikes under and over 125cc.

It is 95 dB(A) for all now.

Measured at half the RPM where it makes max power or 3/4 if the max power is at less than 5000 RPM.

Outside that RPM is another story. Welcome to the concept of electronically actuated exhaust valves.

Source: https://ia802902.us.archive.org/11/items/th.cs.341.e.2543/th.cs.341.e.2543.pdf

Recently in the last couple of months read a Thai road laws page on TIS exhaust because my bike didn't have TIS 28 years ago. 

Found a page on noise and it stated there 95 for small bikes 99 for big bikes.

I was gonna save it I wish I did now. 

At the inspection place I go to  the whole process is video recorded and from what I saw this information along with "test" results are all sent to the DLT   they seemed a bit less strict on bikes than cars..I'm sure some results could be "fudged"  if someone had the right connections...but don't think they would want to risk loosing their licence for some random stranger. 

Last year they refused to test a Mercedes Benz  because the first test couldn't be carried out  due to the headlights not working the owner tried to plead for an exception but the testing center owner said  not possible due to  the video evidence.

I'm not sure if all inspection places are now required to save/send video footage but suspect they are...whether that actually happens or not  T.I.T

23 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

bike with Termi race pipes

Take it to "Bira"

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bira+Circuit/@12.9218222,101.0057634,17z

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

Anyone know of an inspection station in the Pattaya area that will pass a bike with Termi race pipes?

Asking for a friend.

If they don't have TIS mark it's a case of always keep the oridginals or case of finding someone who is in the know. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, properperson said:

Wow!

Quite a lot of faffing about!

Annoying.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

At the inspection place I go to  the whole process is video recorded and from what I saw this information along with "test" results are all sent to the DLT  

They video'd my ducati and when they swept round to the rear plate holder he showed the Ducati brochure and wittered something in Thai,  and same with the exhaust (even though you could see the TIS stamps....

Apparently the video is downloaded to the main man at the regional test centre by regents school (pattaya).

Like the Lady said - They are clamping down and the guys in the local test centre would rather say "cannot" than getting roasted by the boss .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, piston broke said:

It's 95DB for all bikes - maybe it's 99DB on planet Zogg,. where you spend much of your time -  but not here in Thailand.

Soz and all that.

That is true - When the tester set up the sound testing kit for my Ducati (803cc) - he said "have to be 95DB or less" .....

Thank the Lord that as he revv'd it, it fluctuated between 94 and 95 DB ....

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What are you on about, what's it got to do with loud exhausts Harley's are allowed up to 99 decibels reading. 

Surely they're given the same maximum decibel level as every other vehicle on the roads?

Edit:  Ok, just seen your subsequent posts.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1