The Great Pattaya Sausage Hunt - looking for a decent pork sausage.

Gsxrnz

Bit of a back story.  For years I've been bringing in 35kg of of pies, sausages, and steak in my luggage on my twice annual trips home.  That gradually reduced to sausages and pies, and then only sausages as I found decent sources in Patts.  I'd literally have my luggage stacked full of frozen bangers and a few ice packs.

Once I got delayed in transit and had to radio ahead for the missus to meet me at Swampy with a chilly bin (eski, cooler box) and some fresh ice to preserve the product. She brought enough ice to sink the Titanic, bless her, but all went well.

The plandemic has curtailed my foraging trips back home and so I've been severely rationing my few remaining supplies now since March 18 2020.  Luckily I was one of the last planes to arrive a few days before they closed up Swampy. 

So, having digested my last decent rationed pork sausage about a month ago I have been trying every brand I can find in Pattaya and quite frankly I think my deceased Staffie would have turned his nose up at all of them, including the ones that are served as English breakfast sausages in restaurants. Most of them have gone into the rubbish bin. I won't name the brands in fear of starting a slanging match, but all I've discovered so far are well below par.

Because I haven't had to go looking for them in Pattaya for years, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to get a genuine English pork sausage that's not 85% breadcrumbs and preservative.  I've tried probably 8 brands available locally and even the best of them wouldn't match the worst supermarket "no brand" sausage I could buy back home. 

Any recommendations appreciated.  Somebody must know of a small manufacturer somewhere that is off the radar.  

• Haha 2

"Thai-Expat Foods" a small expat grocery store on the ground floor of the "Jomtien Beach Condominium", just past Jomtien Beach Rd., Soi 10 (Family Mart on corner) has a large selection of sausage, English and otherwise. (There is also an entrance from Jomtien 2nd Rd)

I'm no judge so I'll not opine on the merits of the English sausage offerings but the pork chops and prepared, frozen meals I've bought there have been excellent.

• Like 2

Have you tried the BMS brand, Best Meat Service? Not sure about English style but the best I have found here. BMS is a German run factory in Rayong but you can find in Macro and other stores. The grind and texture are more like I'm used to. Most of the other ones I have tried are to fine a grind and are mushy.

• Like 2

I have the exact same issue with sausages in Pattaya, tried all, no joy. Even to the point of going to restaurant's for breakfast and saying without the sausages.

I have  tried all the ones mentioned on here, no joy

Then bingo

Image preview

• Like 1

Of course, if you have ever tasted genuine Cumberland Sausage from Richard Woodhall of Waberthwaite in Cumbria, UK (by appointment to Queen Lizzie) you will be permanently spoiled for anything else!  All the Cumberland sausage here is a pale imitation of the real thing.

As far as I know, Woodhall's do not export so unless you are in UK, where their products are readily obtainable, you are stuffed!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we like the Makro ones too, more than adequate if you can't be a***d to make your own (we used to).

To be honest "fussy" and "sausage" don't really belong in the same sentence considering what actualy goes in most of them.

Now bacon (and ham) really is something worth curing yourself.

Just interested as to why you stopped making your own, as I am tempted to try it but not if there is too much faffing around ????

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

To be honest it was the "faff-factor" mostly around sorting out the natural casings and cleaning up afterwards. The Makro ones are good enough for us.

We did make them for a number of years before discovering the Makro offerings.

Thanks thought that might be the case ????

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hackjam said:

I have the exact same issue with sausages in Pattaya, tried all, no joy. Even to the point of going to restaurant's for breakfast and saying without the sausages.

I have  tried all the ones mentioned on here, no joy

Then bingo

Image preview

No image dude!

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Thanks thought that might be the case ????

Now bacon and ham are a different matter altogether. You can make very, very acceptable dry-cured bacon using a ziploc bag and a fridge (and the necessary ingredients of course), not much more hassle to make some of the best ham you've ever tasted.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Now bacon and ham are a different matter altogether. You can make very, very acceptable dry-cured bacon using a ziploc bag and a fridge (and the necessary ingredients of course), not much more hassle to make some of the best ham you've ever tasted.

Just had a quick look appears very straight forward thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1