COVID-19: Thailand reports 6,855 new coronavirus cases, 51 deaths, 7,655 recoveries

webfact

COV15.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Friday (November 19) reported 6,855 new COVID-19 cases, 7,655 recoveries and 51 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 6,631. Prisons: 224

▶︎ Recoveries: 7,655

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,022,117

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 1,913,428

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,050,980 with 20,305 deaths.

The news comes as this year’s celebrations of the annual Loy Krathong festival, on Friday November 19th, will embrace the “new normal” lifestyle, as all visitors to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)’s approved venues must show proof of two COVID vaccination jabs or COVID-19 negative test results for a test done within 72 hours prior to entering the venue.

Deputy Governor of Bangkok, Kriangyod Sudlapa has announced this year’s locations for official Loy Krathong festivities in the capital, under the COVID-Free Setting and Universal Prevention measures.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update19NOV).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-19

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

I thought everyone in Bangkok was vaccinated, so they tell us anyway, so why are they doing ATK tests to enter Central World when all they need to do is ask of proof of vaccine? 

Yes the prison infections and bubble and seal statistics would be interesting, personally I would also now like to see the statistics for school infections throughout the country in those schools that have opened.

I posted a similar thing yesterday. Personally I know of 3 schools in one amphoe mueang that had to close. These cannot be the only three in Thailand surely.

• Like 1

Yesterday  @2 is 1 mentioned tracking the covid outbreak via waste water/sewerage system. I found the video I saw on this, it was from July 2021 and was a group discussion hosted by the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand. 

Dr Dhammika Lesham Wannigamma and his University in Bangkok was tracking the spread covid-19 in Thailand even when there was no reported cases and people were led to belive that covid had gone, his work had it been listened to would have given plenty of warning to the authorities that their lack of testing let the virus gain hold and spread out of control.

He did inform relevant authorities about this but nobody ever got back to him. Well worth a watch.

Thailand's vaccine strategy what went wrong

Relevant item starts at 42.49 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpsYMPfH8KQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I thought everyone in Bangkok was vaccinated, so they tell us anyway, so why are they doing ATK tests to enter Central World when all they need to do is ask of proof of vaccine? 

Yes the prison infections and bubble and seal statistics would be interesting, personally I would also now like to see the statistics for school infections throughout the country in those schools that have opened.

I would think it was for PR purposes. But  vaccinated people can still get infected and can still transmit the virus, so maybe they were being over-cautious due to the high-level people attending the event - like Mr Barrow!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yesterday  @2 is 1 mentioned tracking the covid outbreak via waste water/sewerage system. I found the video I saw on this, it was from July 2021 and was a group discussion hosted by the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand. 

Dr Dhammika Lesham Wannigamma and his University in Bangkok was tracking the spread covid-19 in Thailand even when there was no reported cases and people were led to belive that covid had gone, his work had it been listened to would have given plenty of warning to the authorities that their lack of testing let the virus gain hold and spread out of control.

He did inform relevant authorities about this but nobody ever got back to him. Well worth a watch.

Thailand's vaccine strategy what went wrong

Relevant item starts at 42.49 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpsYMPfH8KQ

I know they have been doing this in Australia for a long time now. I guess a problem might be population and poop population density. If detected they would have to mass test and this has never been on the government agenda from day one.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Richard Barrow was tested as he was attending a restricted press event at Centralworld. There are currently no additional requirements to enter the mall for shopping, eating or work. Just a perfunctory temperature check and mask required.

I find it kind of strange that they had to be tested. One wonders if they were allowed to remove their masks and sit shoulder to shoulder.

For the people on this forum who follow and understand the COVID spread better than I, could you please explain the downward trend in cases as the country, schools, borders and society as a whole are opening up.  I understand that the vaccination numbers are up, and this should reduce hospitalizations, but I think vaccination does not greatly affect the Delta transmission.  Other countries are seeing increased cases.  What here is truly happening?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Of course 'there is a need'

Taken from the Thai Enquirer summary:

Meanwhile Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul came out to say that there is a need for vaccinating the 11 million people as this will help push the country’s vaccination rates would be 100% of the population by December 15th  These 11 million people are those that are in the rural areas and have not had access to vaccines so far.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Thai-Enquirer-Summary-November-19-2021.pdf

Better get a move on then. December 15th is just around the corner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

For the people on this forum who follow and understand the COVID spread better than I, could you please explain the downward trend in cases as the country, schools, borders and society as a whole are opening up.  I understand that the vaccination numbers are up, and this should reduce hospitalizations, but I think vaccination does not greatly affect the Delta transmission.  Other countries are seeing increased cases.  What here is truly happening?

A lack of testing is one reason along with many who have minor symptoms and choose to self treat after a positive ATK test and are not counted as a true case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I posted a similar thing yesterday. Personally I know of 3 schools in one amphoe mueang that had to close. These cannot be the only three in Thailand surely.

I've posted earlier that teachers at my school are being tested but not students. This information has turned out to be incorrect. I've just had another ATK (last one last Fri) and all students P6-M3 are also being tested today. This time using Lepu Medical from China. Very interesting. Some tests took around 5 minutes to be complete others 20 minutes and some 30 min. +. Last wk's ATK was Abbot Panbio and they took less than 5 minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I've posted earlier that teachers at my school are being tested but not students. This information has turned out to be incorrect. I've just had another ATK (last one last Fri) and all students P6-M3 are also being tested today. This time using Lepu Medical from China. Very interesting. Some tests took around 5 minutes to be complete others 20 minutes and some 30 min. +. Last wk's ATK was Abbot Panbio and they took less than 5 minutes.

My son's school made sure everyone was tested before they could return, but from now it will be random testing, which I'm hoping will be minimal!  All I need now is for someone to test positive and the school close again. ????

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 6,885 official new infections. 51 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 2,106 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 9,491

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart (up to 17 Nov) and bar chart of both PCR and ATK totals

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.309c97ea38ed39bfb7b9f23193b28339.png

image.png.65c2e3c54cf454cb12ca275e48411773.png

A couple questions if you don’t mind.

1. Regarding PCR and rapid tests can we say that one is more reliable than the other?

2. Is it known how many of these positive tests of either kind are asymptomatic?

thank you for any insight you can provide.

Thailand reports 6,595 new COVID-19 cases, 53 deaths, 8,478 recoveries

COV20.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Saturday (November 20) reported 6,595 new COVID-19 cases, 8,478 recoveries and 53 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1240167-thailand-reports 6595-new-covid-19-cases-53-deaths-8478 recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin