Effective December 6th, anyone flying to the US will need the PCR test or such completed just a mere 24 hours prior to flying, and not 72 hours as before.

ThailandRyan

Just notified by the US Embassy of the following by e-mail. Knew it was coming just was waiting for the actual issue to hit home here in Thailand for any expats or tourists who have flown in from the US and will be returning soon.

"On December 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will implement a one-day COVID-19 testing requirement for travelers over age two coming to the United States.  Regardless of vaccination status or nationality, any individual coming to the United States must show a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test taken the day before they board their flight to the United States.  You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight." 

If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel). 

These requirements are for all air passengers two years of age or older boarding a flight from a foreign country to the United States. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, swissie said:

In my country, it can easily take 24 hours before the test results are "in". So, by the time one arrives at the Airport, the certificate may have expired already. Happy travelling!

I paid a premium fee to get it done within a few hours. But that wasn't in Thailand. I would be surprised if there were no entrepreneurial health services in Thailand offering expedited testing.

So the ones that are previous infected with Delta do now have to take that test?

Is that smart when south african data shows there are a rise in reinfections after Omicron surfaced.

"If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel). "

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Virt said:

So the ones that are previous infected with Delta do now have to take that test?

Is that smart when south african data shows there are a rise in reinfections after Omicron surfaced.

"If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel). "

Well, short of banning incoming travelers, this is a pretty reasonable alternative.  They are talking about recently recovered and with documentation and with a 90 day window.  During that time frame the natural immunity should be about as strong as fully vaccinated people.  If Omicron turns out to be much more transmissible and can cause breakthrough cases, then it will be about the same for vaccinated or natural immunity in that time frame.   Also note, they must have medical certification they are clear to travel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Credo said:

Well, short of banning incoming travelers, this is a pretty reasonable alternative.  They are talking about recently recovered and with documentation and with a 90 day window.  During that time frame the natural immunity should be about as strong as fully vaccinated people.  If Omicron turns out to be much more transmissible and can cause breakthrough cases, then it will be about the same for vaccinated or natural immunity in that time frame.   Also note, they must have medical certification they are clear to travel.

Omicron appears to be able to evade natural immunity.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/omicron-variant-has-substantial-ability-to-evade-natural-immunity-scientists-say/3432275/

Omicron Variant Has ‘Substantial Ability' to Evade Natural Immunity, Scientists Say

"We find no evidence of increased reinfection risk associated with circulation of
Beta or Delta variants compared to the ancestral strain in routine epidemiological data from South Africa," they wrote. "In contrast, we find clear, population-level evidence to suggest substantial immune evasion by the Omicron variant."

10 hours ago, Credo said:

As yes, more documentation. That will make it safer.

On arrival at (say) JFK, "Show me your papers!"

After I proffer my proof of double vaccination it's, "No! Not these papers! Your other papers. Your infection recovery papers!!!"

or

"Show me the Antibodies!!!"

(with apologies to Jerry Maguire)

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Mods should correct the headline, re: test and timetable. It's one day, not (a mere) 24 hours. So in theory could be up to 47:59 prior.

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

Can be a NAAT or antigen test.

NAAT https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Amended-Global-Testing-Order_12-02-2021-p.pdf

See page 23 for test definitions: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Amended-Global-Testing-Order_12-02-2021-p.pdf

How is one day more than 24 hours.  I understand what your trying to say but the OP title is not misleading. I day prior to travel is not just short of 48 hours as you put it.  

Waiting on a friend who is traveling back to the US to give me an update.

• Like 1

The headline states that you need a PCR Test for Covid to travel back to the United States and that is surely acceptable, but-----the United States only requires the Rapid Antigen Tests for Covid to return which can be done quickly and for less money in many countries---not the PCR test which usually takes five hours or more unless someone has the faster test machine which I think is rarer in Thailand.  For instance, when traveling back from the Europe to the US,  many drugstores etc. offer this rapid antigen test for $20 or so---takes 20 minutes----but the US does NOT require the PCR test to return home---just at least the rapid antigen test for Covid (although as I said PCR is of course acceptable---but takes more time and money).  I have used the rapid antigen test multiple times when returning to the US from Europe (note when traveling TO Europe I still need to get a PCR test fpr most countries).  But----the main note here is to realize that a RAPID antigen test WILL suffice when returning to the US if done within 24 hours by a licensed facility and can be done quickly if you can sort out the location to do it.

A note an  Abbott Binax Test (Rapid Antigen) which US airlines like United and Delta sell-- and  can be used if bought in the United States and Registered to the Navica App (which you HAVE  to get before and register on before  leaving the US and then you dont even need to leave your hotel or residence to get tested.  To use it you open up the packet online with an Abbott operator and do the test and it will show positive or negative within 15 minutes and then they will send you a proof of your test results that you can use when returning to the US.  But again, buy it before you leave the US).  But it's the Abbot Binax AG test (abbott sells one home test kit that is just for your use only---not shared with government authorities.  Here's a link to that below (note the link showed 3 days testing prior but we know that changed to 1 day this past week).  Note I have nothing to do with this company or the testing but I actually travel with their kit (I bought the kits via United Airlines).

https://www.emed.com/airline-travel?gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rBTM5FqvmG5riDTiPgdbb1n0ZKp2eZf0xqAb0K7fzggeXF-Hlh3jC8aAu1mEALw_wcB

Edited by Rob N
Added More Information
  • Like 1

The rapid antigen test is cheaper and faster (often takes an hour or less) than a PCR. The RESULTS have to be the day before you fly - not when the sample was taken. If you wanted a PCR, you could get the swab on Monday, receive the results on Tuesday, and fly anytime on Wednesday. 

30 minutes ago, Rob N said:

A note an  Abbott Binax Test (Rapid Antigen) which US airlines like United and Delta sell

You can get an antigen test, with certification, here in 15 minutes for 500 baht.

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

How is one day more than 24 hours.  I understand what your trying to say but the OP title is not misleading. I day prior to travel is not just short of 48 hours as you put it.  

So the Information is back from a buddy who just flew out this morning from here on a 1 am flight.  He landed in Portland at 10:35 am this morni g or 1335 hours our time.

He asked if he had to show a one day test prior as he had done his on Friday here in Bangkok. Was told he was okay because he left before the new rules went Into effect.

He clarified it with the customs agents who screen your return and they reiterated that it is that a test is needed no more than one calendar day prior to entering the US. 

He was informed that a Calendar Day means a period of twenty four hours extending from midnight to midnight.

So in essence I believe @mtls2005 could be correct with his analogy because you would have to test the day before you flew and landed in the US.  Confusing as hell when we fly basically backwards in time to the US.

Waiting to here more actual experiences with this as it progresses.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

He said in theory it could be 47 + hrs. Getting a test at 8am Monday for your flight out at 11pm Tuesday is certainly not 24 hours before. That's how one day before is NOT 24hrs before.  You also don't have to wait for a report from your friend. Thousands of passengers will be arriving today in the USA. In Portland on west coast it's only been Monday for 40 minutes.  

Edited by alex8912

I thought this was any test, a 15 dollar 15 minutes test from the local cliniic is good enough.  So far this topic fis making folks believe a full blown on RT-PCR test is needed. Hope I'm correct, one of those ATK test is enough for this mandate. This morning I saw a sign at the local pharmacy advertising they'll do that test in 15 minutes for less than 200 baht.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Thanks 1

So much misinformation in this thread.

1) Rapid tests are acceptable, as long as they're administered or monitored by a health professional who provides a written report (i.e., not just a kit you buy at 7-11 and do yourself at the check-in counter). You do NOT need a PCR test. Dr Donna and others can do the test and give you a report in about 15 minutes for very little money.

2) The time limit for the test is one day before the DATE of your first flight, which is why it could theoretically be almost 48 hours old by the time you board the flight (if your flight was at 23:59 and you had somehow managed to get a test at 00:01 the previous day). If you're flying any time on Tuesday, the test could be done any time on either Monday or Tuesday.

3) The clock starts at the time your test sample is taken, NOT the time your result comes out.

4) No one will be demanding your test result upon arrival at the US port of entry. The responsibility for confirming that you had the correct test result has been placed entirely upon the airline that's transporting you. 

2 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

The rapid antigen test is cheaper and faster (often takes an hour or less) than a PCR. The RESULTS have to be the day before you fly - not when the sample was taken. If you wanted a PCR, you could get the swab on Monday, receive the results on Tuesday, and fly anytime on Wednesday. 

This is what I believe to be true for the new US Testing requirement. .  If your flight is on Thursday at 2359 then a PCR Test done anytime on Wednesday after 0001 hours would be acceptable.  One day before could be much longer than 24 hours before.  This is why in the past the US CDC was stating 3 days before and not 72 hours before..  I am flying back to the US next month and I have found a clinic in Chiang Mai that provides PCR test result on the same day.  Then I can take my flight the next day.  This offers a little more flexibility.  In short get swabbed on Wednesday and fly anytime on Thursday.  

Getting an anti-gen test is a good idea but keep in some transit countries might not accept this type of test.  

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

well i dont know what he is talking about  so i will go for the 24 hrs

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Mods should correct the headline, re: test and timetable. It's one day, not (a mere) 24 hours. So in theory could be up to 47:59 prior.

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

Can be a NAAT or antigen test.

NAAT https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Amended-Global-Testing-Order_12-02-2021-p.pdf

See page 23 for test definitions: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Amended-Global-Testing-Order_12-02-2021-p.pdf

Still technically ambiguous. What does a "result taken no more than 1 day before" actually mean? The result was taken (which is what it says) or the test was taken? surely the test, but considering the importance some care and precision would be nice.

36 minutes ago, Paradise Pete said:

Still technically ambiguous. What does a "result taken no more than 1 day before" actually mean? The result was taken (which is what it says) or the test was taken? surely the test, but considering the importance some care and precision would be nice.

I would agree, I posted what the Embassy sent out and thought the OP's headline included the necessary elements for view and discussion.

Edited by ThailandRyan

12 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

What does a "result taken no more than 1 day before" actually mean?

Seriously?

Hint: "result".

12 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

The result was taken (which is what it says) or the test was taken?

"Result"

Technically unambiguous.

Seal with white background

Event:  On December 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will implement a one-day COVID-19 testing requirement for travelers over age two coming to the United States.

Regardless of vaccination status or nationality, any individual coming to the United States must show a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test taken the day before they board their flight to the United States. 

So if you if you took your test at 1 AM on Monday and your flight was 11 PM on Tuesday that would be ONE DAY even though 46 hours between test taken and boarding flight.

Edited by jerrymahoney