New requirement for Non-O Retirement Extension of Stay

Kopitiam

9 hours ago, schlog said:

Did my extension 2 weeks ago. Wasn't asked for vax. All was smooth like usual.

Alleluia.

I'm still going to have a word with the "old guy" outside room 103 and ask him about vaccination certificates and yearly extensions of stay based on retirement.

Then I'll go in the main building and ask a volunteer the same. If there are any discrepancies I'll let the volunteer know.

I'll also report back here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Alleluia.

I'm still going to have a word with the "old guy" outside room 103 and ask him about vaccination certificates and yearly extensions of stay based on retirement.

Then I'll go in the main building and ask a volunteer the same. If there are any discrepancies I'll let the volunteer know.

I'll also report back here.

By "old guy', I meant the guy who's been there for a long time and checks your documents.

No offence meant. (He's certainly younger than me.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, Kopitiam said:

I went in this morning to apply for an extension of stay (Non-O, Retirement).  I was surprised that the IO outside Rm103 asked for a copy of covid vaccination.  There was no announcement about this new requirement.

Which office?

I too went to Immigration this morning - at Chiang Mai. I already have a copy of my vaccine document stapled into my passport, and i took a separate copy just in case they asked for it. They didn't. 

I was in and out within the hour.

Done for another year.

Sad that they are asking you for a copy of yours, OP. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I read something about IO checking on vaccines some weeks ago on some website at the time I think it was just rumoured but if you were asked on your visit to the IO it appears that it’s no longer rumour control I wonder if they are going to insist that when applying for a renewal you must be vaccinated I know where I reside there are meant anti vaxxer farangs if the government have any sense they will give these people a choice get the vaccine or return to your home country 

I agree. They have something we desperately want. They have some rules which we think are unnecessary, but we comply to obtain that thing. If a covid certificate becomes necessary, then like the Kor Ror 2 and TM30 etc, either produce it or kiss your visa bye bye. Actually, I think this would be one of their less ridiculous rules and would have no problem in complying.

Edited by jesimps

While the omicron count inches upwards, more government offices will probably start checking for proof of vaccination status just for people to enter the building. The Amphur in Udon Thani started requesting this maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago already.

YMMV.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

While the omicron count inches upwards, more government offices will probably start checking for proof of vaccination status just for people to enter the building. The Amphur in Udon Thani started requesting this maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago already.

YMMV.

Can't blame them, it's the same in many European countries for government buildings.

• Like 1

Went to Phuket Immigration today expecting to park in the street as I usually do after doing a circuit of the car park, but was amazed to see how much bigger the car park is now! I even parked in the very first spot on the left!

At room 103 I expected to see the usual older guy - who has been there for years - but he wasn't there. Instead another very helpful Immigration Officer answered my question: "Is there now a requirement for a vaccine certificate in order to obtain a yearly extension of stay for a visa based on retirement". The answer was "No". 

I almost left straight away, but decided to go upstairs and ask a volunteer who sits at the front of the many rows of chairs.

Wow! What a change! All sorts of LED message boxes hanging from the ceiling, 4 or 5 "Information" desks but, apparently, no "farang volunteers" - they appeared to be all Thai. I suppose I should've gone upstairs more often during the last 15+ years to keep track of the changes up there.

Anyway, it didn't take long to see the information officer, so I asked him the same question and got the same answer: "No vaccination requirement for yearly extension of stay based on retirement".

That's the situation today.

4 hours ago, merijn said:

Correct. there's no requirement for a vaccination certificate for the yearly retirement extension.

But they are indeed interested to know how many expats are vaccinated.

The vaccination certificate includes your passport number.

They should be able to cross reference between their databases ??

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

The vaccination certificate includes your passport number.

They should be able to cross reference between their databases ??

The Phuket Public Health Office should have a list of people vaccinated in Phuket.  Unfortunately, the various Thai Ministries do not talk to each other.

A bit off topic and I don't want to start a thread in the General part of the forum.

Just got out of Siriroj hospital for an unrelated matter, but asked my doctor about if a booster shot for this Omicron variant was necessary.

For the two shots that I got (AZ) and the two that the missus got (Sino), he recommends a booster shot of either Moderna, or Pfizer vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

A bit off topic and I don't want to start a thread in the General part of the forum.

Just got out of Siriroj hospital for an unrelated matter, but asked my doctor about if a booster shot for this Omicron variant was necessary.

For the two shots that I got (AZ) and the two that the missus got (Sino), he recommends a booster shot of either Moderna, or Pfizer vaccine. 

Like you, I've had my two shots of AZ, and got a call yesterday to go to Siriroj on Tuesday afternoon for the first of the two doses of Moderna that I'd ordered/paid for back in July.   It will be interesting to find out what the strategy will be for the second Moderna dose.

On 12/11/2021 at 1:10 PM, KarenBravo said:

A follow up.   Had my first Moderna this afternoon at Siriroj, issued a new vaccine certificate which shows all three shots that I've had, Mor Prom app was also updated.   Also got them to insert the new dose into my yellow 'International Certificate' book, which they duly did, as well as putting their official stamp on it.   Re the 2nd Moderna (4th dose) that I've paid for, no concrete information on this.   I understand that the recommended interval for two Moderna doses is 4 weeks, so I'm expecting that will be the case.

On 12/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, JetsetBkk said:

At room 103 I expected to see the usual older guy - who has been there for years - but he wasn't there. Instead another very helpful Immigration Officer answered my question:

I noticed that last 2 times I did my 90 days that the Smiley Guy wasn't outside of room 103 anymore.  That guy was a class-A psycho.  I dreaded talking to that guy because I didn't know what he would say or do.  Hopefully he's at home talking to the wall.  (Yes I have my VPN on right now).  Glad to know the new guys is helpful.   What a welcomed change.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I noticed that last 2 times I did my 90 days that the Smiley Guy wasn't outside of room 103 anymore.  That guy was a class-A psycho.  I dreaded talking to that guy because I didn't know what he would say or do.  Hopefully he's at home talking to the wall.  (Yes I have my VPN on right now).  Glad to know the new guys is helpful.   What a welcomed change.

I have dealt with that 'smiley'  guy for about 23 years since he was assigned to Phuket immigration. Never had an issue with him. No idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I have dealt with that 'smiley'  guy for about 23 years since he was assigned to Phuket immigration. Never had an issue with him. No idea what you are talking about.

I guess you are lucky.  I've seen him really yell at people.  The last time I was there renewing my extension a really old guy told him that he wasn't too old to take a punch at him.  He was really upset.  I've sat and watched him go from one personality to another in just minutes.  I guess you always see him on a good day/personality.  Just my experience.  We all have different ones.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, LivingNThailand said:

That smiley guy is transferred to room 204 to replace a officer who is retired.

• Thanks 1