Farming land next to land I want to buy. Do you think its flood risk?

Im looking to buy land. Next door a guy runs cows at his shed and theres rice padi fields also at the back and side.

In the photos you will see neighbours land is green and the land I want to buy is brown. Actually the level of the land I want to buy is currently only just higher than the farmers land. 

And through the 4 rai that Im interested in, there are 2 long ditches from one side to the other. Its full of shrubs and tree waste as they sent the bulldosers in to clean up the land. 

I know that I would have to raise the land by 1 to 2m and put retainer walls around the edge. Would you agree without doing this its a huge risk as I think the land would be full of water for sure?

Do you think the 2 existing ditches mean that there is evidence that the land is flood prone? I think at current land levels it all under water in heavy rain flooding weather events. 

thanks

IMG_6724.JPG

IMG_6731.JPG

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

looks fine to me - plenty of trees around to soak up ground water and no real sign of flooding looking at the vegetation.   Good ditches .   When buying land for residential use just got to be careful what could be built or happen on adjacent land !    I would not buy land in a rice field  or next to a river / klong  or below /at sea level next to the coast .       

• Like 1

Talk to some of the people that live around there.  

It looks like it is slopped so it should drain good.  But during heavy downpours if you aren't at the top of the slope you will get all the water running off from above you moving through your land.  

On 12/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, Halfaboy said:

Why are you afraid of flooding. Is it next to a river, is the area low lying, what is the history of flooding. Try to find a topographical map of the area to get and idea of the height of your land. You could also discuss this problem with the local puyay baan (sp ?).

Most phones have an altitude meter. I am 58 mt above sea level.

• Like 1

Don't buy land in Thailand before you have seen it through the different seasons - or some you trust can show you photos of the land in different seasons - especially rain season and monsoon period are important...????

In some areas of Thailand, the entire region is flooded. My wife said that her small village in Phatthalung would be flooded almost every year during the rainy season. After her family home was swept away one year, they built up the land to to be slightly higher than the level of the road in front of their house and rebuilt the house. Since then, she says the house has never been flooded even though almost the entire village still floods.

52 minutes ago, baansgr said:

4 Rai, raised 2metres cost 1.6 mil, retaining walls 1.2 mil

Wow very expensive for the land fill. How much do you pay per truck load?? (I guess around 500 THB)

Here it's around 250 THB (incl the tractor for leveling)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

4 Rai, raised 2metres cost 1.6 mil, retaining walls 1.2 mil

we were quoted 1 million to raise 1m. Double that for 2m

Im surprised to see the 1.2mill price for retainer walls. How high were they. do you have time to put a photo?

Can't really tell from the photos, though it looks pretty dry currently. What does it look like during the rainy season and will it look parched in April?

What do you intend to use the land for, building a house, for a business, farming?

If you are farming then water is the most precious of resources. If the land is prone to flooding during the rainy season then dig a reservoir and drainage channels to supply it and count your blessings.

11 hours ago, jack71 said:

we were quoted 1 million to raise 1m. Double that for 2m

Im surprised to see the 1.2mill price for retainer walls. How high were they. do you have time to put a photo?

I think raising 4 rai 1 meter takes  6,400 m^3 of fill.

That's over 200 ten-wheel dump trucks with 40 tons in each. 

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think raising 4 rai 1 meter takes  6,400 m^3 of fill.

That's over 200 ten-wheel dump trucks with 40 tons in each. 

And then you are not even including the compact factor. With a compact factor of (only) 0.2 then it's already 7680 m^3 (for raising 1 meter)

We don't get them 10 wheeler trucks we get the +/- 5m^3 max load. And that would be then 1536 Trucks

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

And then you are not even including the compact factor. With a compact factor of (only) 0.2 then it's already 7680 m^3 (for raising 1 meter)

We don't get them 10 wheeler trucks we get the +/- 5m^3 max load. And that would be then 1536 Trucks

I drove by the "new" Toyota plant in Chachoengsao at least twice week, every week while they were building it. 

They trucks pulling doubles of fill lined up all day, every day for well over a month.