Thai Economy Expected to Fully Recover in 2023

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said 2022 should see the start of the rebound, with the economy expected to expand 4% next year amid strong export growth and the injection of 1 trillion baht in state funds into economic circulation.

image.png.0bcac6c1fcebc3bd483e99f9a3bb806d.png

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Yeah right. This economy won't fully recover for many years I'm afraid. This would be with the assumption Covid is over and there won't be any surprises to follow. Not gonna happen. I'm afraid Covid will be with us forever.

It would be sooner if the fear of covid was not on the minds of Thai people, also the fear of losing of ones job for not being vaccinated.

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Can’t see international tourists returning in huge numbers like before even if covid ‘goes away’. They’d need to rely more on China to get numbers up.  

Don’t worry. Soon millions of super-rich Indians will arrive, all desperate to buy government-bonds and over-priced condos to get a long term visa. 

No need for the Chinese or low-life poor Farangs to save the economy.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Ministry of Finance says it expects the Thai economy to fully recover by 2023, driven mainly by the tourism sector.

Since the economy is about 20% tourism they truly are banking on a lot of 'tourism hopefuls'

PCR testing, quarantine no matter how many days, vaccine confirmation, insurance and the farce pass will keep numbers extremely low. I seriously cannot see more than 100-300,000 a month next year if it remains in place. That would be equal to about 3.6 million at best - 20% of their fabled 14 million they are saying they will be getting.

If that happens, then I would imagine 3.6 million next year at best, no more than 6-7 if they dropped the pass and omicron gives us all immunity !

The recovery of tourism is more important to Thailand than a lot of other countries.

I think 3-4 million tourists next year at best, 8-12 in 2023, 18-20 in 2024, 28-30 2025 and then back to normal in 2026. So I think it fair to say the fanciful thinking of back to normal in 2023 is plain nonsense.

• Like 2

Did this guy used to work at TAT?  He seems to be under the 

belief that Thailand is the only tourist place in the world, and with all the

present rules, and restrictions that people will fly to Thailand in the huge

numbers that existed before COVID.  Dream on buddy.

• Thanks 1

Although the exact year Thai economy will be back is disputed. But the idea of 2022 being not any good is somewhat honest.

Looks like the Thai Tourism suicidal policy of Thailand Pass will continue to 2022 and the economy will take a hit until 2023 when the government finally realise it is smothering the economy to slow death.

• Like 1