What do you think is a fair beer price in a bar?

FruitPudding

In your opinion, what beer price is fair in a bar or pub here?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

You really have no idea of the actual costs.  Talk to a restaurant owner. Get a list of all of their costs....rent, staff salary, equipment, raw materials, cutlery, electricity, VAT, water, insurance, basic maintenance, and a host of other things. The cost of raw materials might not be too high, but the selling price has to not only cover the foodstuff inputs, but contribute to all of those other costs. There's a reason 95% of restaurants fail in the first year, and it's because they post prices based on your 'logic' of what foodstuffs cost.

So explain why a restaurant/bar needs higher markups than the 7-11 next to it?

The only answer I can come up with is greed!

PS.

The reason most restaurants fail in a year is usually because the owners/management start the business with no previous experience. Same reason the Thai g/fs coffee shop always fails, no management or business skills often combined with a poor work ethic..

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Reading through these comments, it occurs to me that there are people who are made to be business owners, and there are people made to be just employees, because they have absolutely no concept of the totality of costs involved in running an ongoing enterprise.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

In western world they need two people for a small restaurant, here they need 5 people for the same volum of customers.

More to do with labour costs than need IMHO.

Very few western restaurants selling fresh food, mostly frozen and microwaved.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So explain why a restaurant/bar needs higher markups than the 7-11 next to it?

The only answer I can come up with is greed!

I can come up with another answer: you have absolutely no concept of actual costs, customer flow, etc., involved in running a business.

Let's take an example of a typical restaurant....maybe 15 tables max. A meal takes maybe an hour from sit down to check bin. How many customers on a Monday? How about Friday?

A 7-11 customer is in and out in maybe 3 minutes. 7-11 has massive turnover relative to a typical restaurant. It also uses every available place to stuff products. Other than the aisles that allow a customer to walk and search, there is precious little wasted space, so covering rent is easier. 7-11 is also a major entity, so their purchase costs are much lower than a one-off restaurant that isn't part of a chain.

Are you at least beginning to get the picture?

(I was a hedge fund trader. To make decisions about what I should buy or short, I had to analyze businesses, commodity markets, consumer trends, psychology, nations' budgets and industries, etc. If I had gone at my job with the same degree of (mis) understanding you evidence re restaurants, I would have been fired instantly.)

Edited by Walker88
  • Thanks 2

On 12/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, Virt said:

Beers worldwide are often cheaper than in Thailand.

Going to tenerife next week, where a pint is 1 euro at the seafront bars.

(approx 38 bath) ?

It may come as a surprise to you but different countries have different rates of duty. Some countries use like Thailand and Scotland use the tax as means to try and reduce alcohol abuse.

Although part of the EU the Canary Islands never signed up to the same duty free arrangements.

https://iogt.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Alcohol-tax_Thailand.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Let's take an example of a typical restaurant....maybe 15 tables max. A meal takes maybe an hour from sit down to check bin. How many customers on a Monday? How about Friday?

Let's not, and get back on topic of how much to pay for a beer in a bar.

10%-20% on 7-11 prices is what I'm prepared to pay.

Unless there's scantily clad women around, in which case I'll pay more. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

I'd happily pay quite a bit more than the going rate for an import beer in a bar.

A Paulaner Weissbier or Fuller's London Pride, for example, would get my money, over and above any bargain prices.

But, regrettably but understandably, these options are rarely, if ever, available.

Thatcher's Cider is sometimes a refreshing alternative.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More to do with labour costs than need IMHO.

Very few western restaurants selling fresh food, mostly frozen and microwaved.

Still depend on where you live and what restaurant s you prefer or choose out of your budget. You pay for what you get, simple as that, same here in Thailand.

You can get  a Thai food dish for as low as 45 baht from a chef home cooking style based and learned, and that is just basic food and unfortunate nowadays, full of sugar, oyster sauce and so on. Or you can go to restaurants with proper educated chefs and pay 160 or up for same dish. Your choice

Not to forget location, facilities and hygiene if that is important to you

Just now, Hummin said:

You can get  a Thai food dish for as low as 45 baht from a chef home cooking style based and learned, and that is just basic food and unfortunate nowadays, full of sugar, oyster sauce and so on. Or you can go to restaurants with proper educated chefs and pay 160 or up for same dish. Your choice

Not to forget location, facilities and hygiene if that is important to you

I prefer to cook myself, at home, where a western meal with top ingredients can be made for 10-20Bht.

And a large beer costs 50-55bht/bottle.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You missed out the most important question, and just posted the trivial things.

Does the bar have female staff you can take home with you?

Most bars and restaurants do takeaway - food is optional.

• Haha 1

In my experience in Thailand, if the Bar or Restaurants owners are Farangs with Thai wives, the beer prices will be high for sure ( with very few exceptions).

if they have Bar girls, expect much higher prices, even for a soda water 40 baht (9 in 7 eleven) the girls get no pay, but free accommodation ( usually 5 to a room) and they have to do all the cleaning, cooking and laundry! Then they are taught to push the customer to buy them a drink, they get like a 100 baht for each drink, it can cost the customer 150-200baht, then they sometimes clear off to another customer. Good if you’re on holiday and want some fun and the exchange rate is always favorable.

But beers brewed over here and sold in other bars are very expensive because the government tax them the same as imported beers. Craft beers for example. I paid 200 baht for a small bottle of very good locally brewed IPA. It was very similar to White Shield that you used to get in the UK, supping beer, poured carefully to leave the yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

I love real ale so I pay high prices at special Thai beer cafes, sometimes 240;baht for a decent German stout, the same for a pint of Guinness. Cheap Thai beer is an insult to my kidneys lol 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You missed out the most important question, and just posted the trivial things.

Does the bar have female staff you can take home with you?

Separate transaction? Plus , if you have to ask. You can't afford it?

Edited by VocalNeal

It does not matter what the cost of your Bottle of Beer or Pint is.

The cost is directly reflective of whether you are happy to pay the price asked in any particular Bar.

If you dont like the price of the Beer, find another Bar that gives you what you look for, and for what you are prepared to pay.

• Like 1

Well phuket is over the odds @ had sum bad experiences years ago slipping dockets in your bin ...in pattaya 55 ok small san mig 50 Leo..etc I find draught beer happy hour s are reasonable but as said there will b price cutting even if small soon I think ..happy drinking all ..hip flask always handy and ice carrier bag hehe 

• Like 1