Cold snap and alcohol easing: Thai doctor warns that booze doesn't keep you warm, can kill you

webfact

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

Not true. When you are drinking and getting a buzz going, your heart rate increases.. This means your body is working hard, therefore, you will sweat and warm up. A similar affect is to jog around the block if you are cold. 

So the doctors are wrong and you know better ?

image.png.99ced9edac2a2d8859b3a2c4249977bf.png

https://www.insider.com/does-drinking-alcohol-warm-you-up-2016-12

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/32256/does-drinking-alcohol-really-keep-you-warm-when-its-cold-out

https://www.livescience.com/55435-does-drinking-alcohol-warm-your-body.html

https://www.alcohol.org/effects/warm-flushed-skin/

I can give plenty more examples , all saying the same thing . This effect can also be seen on your face , since drinking alcohol gives you a blush quite fast . When you are cold , the veins narrow , because it is a reaction to keep the bodyheat in the core and not on the surface . If you drink alcohol , veins widen again , sending the blood to the skin , this creating the skin to heat up ( the warm feeling) but in fact the body temp is dropping since the blood is cooled.

So this Thai doctor is right to say it , since some of the foreigners also don't know it yet.

8 hours ago, huangnon said:

Is hypothermia a common cause of death in Thailand?

Some of my office staff have the A/C on lowest setting, and wear jackets, so I suppose it's plausible. ????

That's why Thais, after having the aircon run full power at the office, often open windows and doors, too... Smart, eh?

9 hours ago, huangnon said:

Is hypothermia a common cause of death in Thailand?

Some of my office staff have the A/C on lowest setting, and wear jackets, so I suppose it's plausible. ????

Actually I have heard of quite a few Thai dying  in temps that would be cold but not deadly to us Americans or EU living in northern climes. Years ago had boat tender sleeping on Pattaya Beach sucum to cold and the Gov ( Thaskin) used to give away Chinese Parka's to many living in northern Thailand during the winter. Thai can't really handle cold temps.   My friend's wife in USA  (New Hampshire)  was still wearing a parka in June when she first came over. She is used to cold now.

• Like 1

The doctor is over-simplifying.
Alcohol, such as a tot of rhum, expands the blood vessels close to the skin, producing a feeling of warmth.
By doing so it acts against the body's natural contraction of these blood vessels under cold conditions, to limit heat-loss and hence reduce the risk of death from exposure.
If you fear dying of hypothermia here in Thailand (perhaps when sleeping under the stars in the hills west of Fang?) refrain from partaking of strong alcohol.

14 hours ago, sezze said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30277820

This newspaper i can mention i think ? Anyway , it happens very regular . Not the coastal towns , because the sea always keeps the temp at nice lvls , even in the coldest seasons , but inside Thailand , it does get really cold .Remember that daytime can still be hot and that everything is build for hot and not for cold .

I lived in Lamphun, and Chiang Mai, which as as inside Thailand as it's possible to get inside and my sole concession to "winter" was to use a sheet to cover myself while sleeping.

It gets cold on top of Doi Inthanon, but that;'s considerably higher than the surrounding area.

In Isaan now it's the dropping like flies season, as every year when it gets colder.

Some freeze to death after consuming Lao Khao as they pass out, sometimes outside but even inside the house with poor insulation, they don't cover themselves with blankets etc and die.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

In Isaan now it's the dropping like flies season, as every year when it gets colder.

Some freeze to death after consuming Lao Khao as they pass out, sometimes outside but even inside the house with poor insulation, they don't cover themselves with blankets etc and die.

Where's global warming when one wants it?

Being that Thailand is s tropical country, the chances of dying from drinking alcohol and

getting cold is pretty rare. Only in the northern hills during cold season, like December and January

when the temperatures can get close to 0Cc, is the only places in the country to be careful

and stay warm if you are going to get drunk on alcohol.  is this doctor a military man?

Just wondering. You know control, control.