How or where in Bangkok to get a Pfizer booster shot after getting 2 free ones in MedPark Hospital?

cliveshep

Title says it all. Expat gets 2 free Pfizer shots in MedPark Hospital Khlong Toei courtesy of the US donation for that purpose (amazingly not diverted for their own personal use by the Government) but now all the media suggest that after 3 months, which it now is, a booster is required.

Question is how and where to get the booster short of emigrating to the US?

I get the feeling that in spite of the Government insisting everyone get vaccinated they just don't have anything to vaccinate people with apart from Sinovac. Certainly they don't have Moderna - just the money to pay for it from many folk to the chagrin of my family who paid at their hospital for the shots, the hospital passed on order and money, and that as they say was that. no shots and no refund!

So - whinge over for the moment - how to get a Pfizer booster?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Bloody Hell - that was quick. Thank you for that. Looks like one has to wait until 6 months are up before getting the booster so 3 more months to go!

But I think that is an American site? Correct? I'm in Thailand, Bangkok. Sorry, perhaps my throw away comment about emigrating to the US confused things.

The 3 months is What the UK Government were saying, the Thai Government say very little that is not subject to change 3 or 4 hours after they say it.

Edited by cliveshep
  • Like 2

Not Pfizer, but Moderna (another mRNA vaccine) is available at Bangkok Hospital.

The system is a little daft... I think we have to go there, purchase a voucher (B1650) which can only then be used to book a ‘slot’ not sooner than 3 days.

When my wife explained this to me we both had a somewhat of a ‘what the flook’ moment - that just doesn’t make sense to me such that the person on the other end of the phone (or either end of the phone to be honest) could have just explained the booking system very poorly. 

If Moderna is ok, it may be worth giving Bangkok Hospital a call *(Bangkok, nr Petchaburi rd) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Bloody Hell - that was quick. Thank you for that. Looks like one has to wait until 6 months are up before getting the booster so 3 more months to go!

My last shot was in September so I am looking at March to get my Booster shot!

(Pre-paid moderna at Private Hospital but don't hold my breath that I get that)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not Pfizer, but Moderna (another mRNA vaccine) is available at Bangkok Hospital.

The system is a little daft... I think we have to go there, purchase a voucher (B1650) which can only then be used to book a ‘slot’ not sooner than 3 days.

When my wife explained this to me we both had a somewhat of a ‘what the flook’ moment - that just doesn’t make sense to me such that the person on the other end of the phone (or either end of the phone to be honest) could have just explained the booking system very poorly. 

If Moderna is ok, it may be worth giving Bangkok Hospital a call *(Bangkok, nr Petchaburi rd) 

Link here:

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Sorry - you lot are too quick, I edited my post when I thought the CDC site was located in and referred to the USA. I got Pfizer 2nd shot in September too at MedPark Hospital. Paid for Moderna for family at our own hospital Central General Hospital in  Phahonyothin Rd, Anusawari, Bang Khen,  in September, promised for October, been silence ever since and no refunds either!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, coops said:

Thx, the link I posted from the CDC was updated 9th December, so if its now 3 months then I am also in need for a Booster Shot (where to get that)

My day can't get worse (lots of bad news today ???? )

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Why do you say that.

I also paid for Moderna back in June, was advised by a phone call from the hospital beginning of this month that I could pick the 10th, 11th or 12th and I explained to them that I had received 2 Pfizer doses, the last in September and would like it pushed back to March as a booster, no pomplem sir, all done, checked on the system and there it was deferred to March.

Loads of people selling their Moderna doses as they ran to get the free ones a few days before the hospitals called them and they can't push them back more than 3 months, so if anyone wants a booster, go Dutch with another farang and pay about 1,500 - 1,650 baht a shot each, even cheaper for those desperate to sell at a loss.

Bangkok Hospital Facebook page is a good start for those interested, personally, I wouldn't be waiting for the government, and I recently heard on some YouTube chancel that you can get a mNRA vaccine between 4-6 months after your second dose, that said, do your own research.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Maybe he said that because that is his experience. It is my experience as well.  ????

Exactly. Paid in June for 4 Shots (for my wife and myself) and STILL WAITING. NO Phone Calls nothing!

• Thanks 1

Thank you all posters for sharing your experience. I too am looking into getting a booster. But while forums are great for opinions, they are less than stellar for facts (even less so for medical facts). So, I will seek the question of whether or not to get a booster on the advice from (and in this order of priority)...

1. My doctor

2. Scientific research published in reputable journals

3. Medical research published by pharmaceutical suppliers

4. Thai Ministry of Health

5. Ministry of Health from my home province

6. My business associate's nurse wife (trained in Germany)

7. Posters to this forum

Only major questions are...

a. since I have Pfizer whether to accept non-Pfizer m-RNA

b. whether to go with 3 vs. 6-month schedule

c. risk-reward ratio, specifically has enough time passed with enough subjects in robust enough studies to determine whether booster shots are necessary for semi-geezers (old men with no pre-existing conditions etc) to merit getting the additional shot. I am skeptical of decisions not based on proven data, and I am no anti-vaxer.

Just thinking out loud here

Edited by World Traveller2
add
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pfizer boosters are not the same as the normal shots (half dose). There aren't any in Thailand yet, from what I know.

Was in the news that they have been ordered and should be produced and arrive by first quarter of 2022. Look it up on Bangkok Post.

Edited by ThLT
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

Thank you all posters for sharing your experience. I too am looking into getting a booster. But while forums are great for opinions, they are less than stellar for facts (even less so for medical facts). So, I will seek the question of whether or not to get a booster on the advice from (and in this order of priority)...

1. My doctor

7. Posters to this forum

Only major questions are if I have Pfizer whether to accept non-Pfizer m-RNA and whether to go with 3 vs. 6-month schedule.

The only issue for me is, that I want a Booster in combination with my current shots (Pfizer) that it is recognized by the Governments outside of Thailand (in case I want to travel abroad)

I believe it's either Moderna or Pfizer and NOT something like Sinovac or Sinopharm

4 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Pfizer boosters are not the same as the normal shots (half dose). There aren't any in Thailand yet, from what I know.

Was in the news that they have been ordered and should be produced and arrive by first quarter of 2022. Look it up on Bangkok Post.

That date seems logic as it fit to the Pfizer vaccination program done in Aug. for us foreigners ,  started by the very welcome gift from the U.S.A , so 6 months later arrival expected for the booster on that before  Pfizer vaccination program 

Edited by david555

5 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

1. My doctor

7. Posters to this forum

Only major questions are if I have Pfizer whether to accept non-Pfizer m-RNA and whether to go with 3 vs. 6-month schedule.

Newbie and troll. ☹️

IMHO Forum posters who include links to recognisable publications (such as news reports) are acceptable. I have no interest whatsoever in your doctor's or business associates's wife opinions.  ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

My wife booked early October. I have since enquired to the hospital as to her place in the queue but I am getting no response. ????

When you say booked, do you mean purchased ?

Surely they must have an online system, that is what we have and it shows our cue number.

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

They said to us at that we had to wait till at least till January (shots paid for late June)

Are you not on their online system which shows your cue number ?

If they said January, then it will more than likely be January, alternatively as people put back their shots to March your cue number may get closer, maybe this month.

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

When you say booked, do you mean purchased ?

Surely they must have an online system, that is what we have and it shows our cue number.

We don't all live in Bangkok you know. Bangkok seems to be supplied very well with vaccines in comparison with the provinces.

Yes, when booking, payment must be made.

My wife's booking reference appears to be coded in an alphabetical sequence. ☹️

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

My wife booked early October. I have since enquired to the hospital as to her place in the queue but I am getting no response. ????

We booked together, but after the booking / payment I got offered Pfizer and was told my wife couldn't get it and she was only offered Sinovac! That we refused.  So in November my wife still not had Jab nr 1. After the news that Moderna had arrived we called the hospital we booked with and pleaded about no jabs yet etc etc etc and they still said somewhere in January ????

A couple of days later a friend from the local village hospital (anamai) called and said "go to the Hospital tomorrow and you will get Pfizer but take your husband with you and say that you both are traveling abroad then you get Pfizer" so we went and indeed she got her 1st Pfizer!

Today she got her 2nd Pfizer and she also asked for me and they said I have to go to original site where I got my 2 vaccine shots (the same place that .... up my Vaccination certificate and they still did not correct it) .

As already said, my day can't get any worse (lot's of bad news today from wrong delivery of a part that was desperately needed to neighbor dying etc etc etc)

Edited by MJCM

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

We don't all live in Bangkok you know. Bangkok seems to be supplied very well with vaccines in comparison with the provinces.

Yes, when booking, payment must be made.

My wife's booking reference appears to be coded in an alphabetical sequence. ☹️

I don't live in Bangkok, I am registered with Bangkok Hospital Udon Thani and they use numerical numbering sequencing, e.g. they were doing numbers 6,000 to 13,000 on the 10th, 11th and 12th, my number was higher than 13,000 and I was called as mentioned and moved forward to March at my requests as I am going to use mine as a booster for myself and my wife, although she will only have been jabbed 4 months earlier as opposed to 6 months earlier like me come March.

Edited by 4MyEgo

33 minutes ago, ThLT said:

EDIT: Some places are giving out Pfizer as a 3rd shot/booster.

Don't know if they are actual half-dose boosters though.

Opinion: Can't recommend getting any vaccine overseas due to procedural complications and prices. I will be going home in three months and can get it free in Canada.

I flew from Ukraine to Serbia in order to get the free shots offered by the President of that country - only to have the program cancelled a few days after I arrived. No one was very helpful, from government staff to security guards. Maybe they were waiting for a bribe? In Dubai and Turkey I could not buy the vaccine at any price.

I will probably wait out Omnicron and monitor effects of booster on others. For me, it depends on medical news.

Edited by World Traveller2
capitalization

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

Do you have a link to that statement as as the CDC in the USA state the booster shots are the same formula and dose as the first or second Pfizer vaccine dose?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

Ah, sorry. Got mixed up with Moderna, which is 100ug for the vaccine, and 50ug for the booster. Thanks for the correction.