More Omicron Cases Likely in January

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not looking for anything from you. Just provided a quote from WHO on the latest information

Then please dont reply to me - make your own post.  All good - but it came across that you completely disagreed with what I had posted and said so.  Which is OK of course - but you cannot expect me not to reply if I then disagree with what you said.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AussieBob9999 said:

Then please dont reply to me - make your own post.  All good - but it came across that you completely disagreed with what I had posted and said so.  Which is OK of course - but you cannot expect me not to reply if I then disagree with what you said.

I didn’t say anything, I provided a quote from WHO, which was pretty clear that they do not know and cautioned about making assumptions. As for who I reply to, I’ll make my own decisions on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I didn’t say anything, I provided a quote from WHO, which was pretty clear that they do not know and cautioned about making assumptions. As for who I reply to, I’ll make my own decisions on that.

Me too - and not you again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob9999 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7150207/

PS - words from my post.  "maybe"  "I hope so"  etc etc etc.  If you are looking for absolute correctness in this pandemic for you to make an opinion on anything (or demand others do the same), I suggest you will never find it.  Everything has changed, and it will continue to change.  WHO  CDC  etc.  have all been wrong as many times as they have been right. 

Who has made the most accurate assessments during the epidemic? 

WHO warns against dismissing Omicron variant as ‘mild’ after early data

People underestimate coronavirus at their peril, health officials have warned, as they voiced concerns that the Omicron variant was being dismissed by some as “mild”.

Data from South Africa is still in its early stage and countries must act now in the face of a potentially “large wave of cases” of the faster-spreading strain, Dr Mike Ryan of the World Health Organisation said.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/coronavirus/2021/12/14/who-warns-against-dismissing-omicron-variant-as-mild-after-early-data/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Crystal ball? It's as though they already know roughly when to release the news. Don't want to scare anyone before new year?

Soon Omicron will be over taking Delta in Thailand and the rate of death will go from 40 to zero this is what my Crystal ball said today. Zero, whether there are parties or not.

15 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Crystal ball? It's as though they already know roughly when to release the news. Don't want to scare anyone before new year?

My wife and other Thais don't believe the reports by Thai authorities.  They know there's thousands more.  

Getting some cash in and distributed to the few people who run the country.

Can't blame them.

Dude take a chill pill why doncha? The fear mongers have people freaking out over NOTHING we can not handle! The slave masters are just making excuses for tighter restrictions on the masses. ????

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-says-its-covid-19-pill-likely-works-against-omicron-11639482302?mod=itp_wsj&yptr=yahoo

• Like 2

Makes you wonder how serious this new virus is 

One minute people arriving to the UK from Africa had to Quarantine 

Now this has been lifted no Quarantine required

a lot of people <deleted> off rushing back  to the UK  going into Quarantine 

at great expense now find out its not required anymore ???? 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Makes you wonder how serious this new virus is 

One minute people arriving to the UK from Africa had to Quarantine 

Now this has been lifted no Quarantine required

a lot of people <deleted> off rushing back  to the UK  going into Quarantine 

at great expense now find out its not required anymore ???? 

It’s that serious that social distancing measures have not even been reintroduced as part of Plan B, Xmas parties are still allowed along with pubs remaining open where no face coverings are required and nightclubs remain open for all to enjoy. 

Hardly surprising 100 members of his own party don’t even believe the hype. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

More people will die from Omicron, so your talking point is going to have a limited lifetime.

And can't go on to infect 2 to 3 other people.

Seems our TVF epidemiologists can't even understand the difference between a respiratory virus and a car.

The said respiratory virus responsible for 5 million (at least) deaths worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So 3 things

I checked both WHO and Worldometer this morning and counted 610 deaths in SA since the week starting 8 November which is actually before the wave started and Omicron was sequenced. So the expert quoting 640 is probably using the same/ish figure. Would they all be Omicron? The 7 day average death rate has gone up a bit.

What's the take on UK repealing SA travel quarantine requirement, I notice Australia has done so also, their public health officials would not be acting prematurely would they? Or have they decided its arrived already anyway, no point?

Lastly its disappointing that this variant seems to have given a bit of second wind to anti vaxxers, particularly the relatively early adaption of the rapid booster, before for instance the determination on how bad the variant is

12 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

WHO warns against dismissing Omicron variant as ‘mild’ after early data

People underestimate coronavirus at their peril, health officials have warned, as they voiced concerns that the Omicron variant was being dismissed by some as “mild”.

Data from South Africa is still in its early stage and countries must act now in the face of a potentially “large wave of cases” of the faster-spreading strain, Dr Mike Ryan of the World Health Organisation said.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/coronavirus/2021/12/14/who-warns-against-dismissing-omicron-variant-as-mild-after-early-data/

• Like 2

‘Phenomenal’ Omicron spread accounts for 40% of London infections

Britain said on Monday that the Omicron coronavirus variant was spreading at a “phenomenal rate” and now accounted for about 40% of infections in London, so people should get a booster shot because the double-vaccinated are still vulnerable.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phenomenal-omicron-spread-accounts-for-40-of-london-infections/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Is it why the SA have disposed of 1 (2?) M vaccines?

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I hope so. So far, it is revealing itself as less dangerous, and far less symptomatic than Delta. One death worldwide? Far less than a common flu.

This weak and feeble variant may be the near end of Covid. It should be celebrated and embraced, rather than feared. 

it could merge with Delta and the result would be a far more virulent strain that is highly transmissible.  this would be devastating 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Is it why the SA have disposed of 1 (2?) M vaccines?

Hesitancy however since the Omicron outbreak there has been an uptick in daily vaccinations.

EXCLUSIVE South Africa delays COVID vaccine deliveries as inoculations slow

South Africa has asked Johnson & Johnson (JNJ.N) and Pfizer (PFE.N) to delay delivery of COVID-19 vaccines because it now has too much stock, health ministry officials said, as vaccine hesitancy slows an inoculation campaign.

About 35% of South Africans are fully vaccinated, higher than in most other African nations, but half the government's year-end target. It has averaged 106,000 doses a day in the past 15 days in a nation of 60 million people.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/exclusive-south-africa-delays-covid-vaccine-deliveries-inoculations-slow-2021-11-24/