Booster vaccine?

neilscolt

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I contacted one of the hospitals that sell Moderna shots, with my details (got 2x Pfizer before). Their reply was that I 'can get a booster after 6 months', so it seems they strictly follow the government's much publicised guideline, even though they sell the vaccine themselves.

I haven't ordered yet, though, so people who ordered Moderna earlier may receive different feedback.

yep that's what I am worried about. Lets see how this changes the next 2 weeks ???? Pfizer clearly said 2 shots are not enough against Omicron imo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, rabas said:

Vichaiyut hospital in Bangkok let us decide when to take shots although they do provide recommendations.

I had a full size Moderna shot Dec 8, 91 days after completing 2 AZ shots. I could have taken it earlier. They had my AZ shots on record.  They also automatically set my 2nd Moderna appointment 28 days after the first but I will move it to March.

While I was there, they said I could use both shots as a full Moderna course now (28 day gap) or use them as 'boosters' several months apart, thought they said boosters made more sense.

You need to do some careful checks.If you have had 2 AZ shots and then a Moderna shot after 3 months, there is no need to plan for a second Moderna shot in March.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I contacted one of the hospitals that sell Moderna shots, with my details (got 2x Pfizer before). Their reply was that I 'can get a booster after 6 months', so it seems they strictly follow the government's much publicised guideline, even though they sell the vaccine themselves.

I haven't ordered yet, though, so people who ordered Moderna earlier may receive different feedback.

If you are in Bangkok, contact Vichaiyut Hospital, on Rama 6.  https://www.vichaiyut.com/moderna/

They state you can have a Moderna booster 8 weeks (sapda) after 2X pfizer or 2X AZ shots. I had mine 91 days after dual AZ shots, by my choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You need to do some careful checks. If you have had 2 AZ shots and then a Moderna shot after 3 months, there is no need to plan for a second Moderna shot in March.

That's probably correct, March 31 is the last day I can use it. I would likely check my antibodies first as well. It's my understanding that timing and delays are primarially to maximize your immune response, not because it is dangerous. Shooting too much too fast just wastes vaccine.

It may also depend on Omicron and how well vaccines hold up against it.  BTW, I rushed my first Moderna booster because Omicron is on the way. 2x AZ does little to resist it.

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, rabas said:

That's probably correct, March 31 is the last day I can use it. I would likely check my antibodies first as well. It's my understanding that timing and delays are primarially to maximize your immune response, not because it is dangerous. Shooting too much too fast just wastes vaccine.

It may also depend on Omicron and how well vaccines hold up against it.  BTW, I rushed my first Moderna booster because Omicron is on the way. 2x AZ does little to resist it.

My plan is the following maybe helps you also:

Get a booster now (3rd) by Moderna. I think you can't get more protection than that currently.

Wait till the "Omicron" Boosters are coming. That should be around February / March 2022. Pre-Order one of these for later this year, because you know Thailand will get them 3-6 months earliest after the rest of the western world. Check in Q4 2022 if that booster makes sense and if yes you have it already paid and you in the queue ???? 

If we have bad luck till then they have 2 more variants... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had my second Pfizer shot from Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen on October 3. Under normal conditions I should take a booster by April 2, 2022, but seen the arrival of Omicron and the fact that I have diabetes since more than 20 years, I would prefer to advance the date by 2 months, that would be February 2, 2022. I would like to purchase a Moderna booster to be administered in Khon Kaen (I live in northern Surin province). Does anyone have any idea, how I should proceed best?

• Like 1

The wife and I got our 1st AstraZeneca jab 30 June, 2nd AZ jab 22 Sep (12 weeks between AZ jabs)...and yesterday/22 Dec we got our Pfizer booster jab (3 months after the 2nd AZ jab). 

We scheduled the 1st AZ jab using the Mor Phromt app.....when getting the 1st jab a 2nd AZ jab was automatically scheduled.....we got both of these AZ jabs at the same western Bangkok private hospital which is only five minutes away from where we live.....in-and-out in less than an hour for each AZ jab.   Both jabs furnished free by the govt.

We got our free booster jab at a govt hospital in Photharam which is a small town in Rachaburi province...close to where the wife's mother lives....about 75 km west of Bangkok.  We noticed a flyer the hospital put on their Facebook page where the jabs where to be given on 22-23 Dec via walk-in only....they had 1,000 AZ jabs and 1,000 Pfizer jabs to give as booster jabs over the two days. 

Whether you got a AZ or Pfizer booster depended on what combination your first two jabs had been as people have got all kinds of combos like Sinovac + Sinophram, Sinovac + Sinovac, Sinovac + AZ, AZ + AZ, etc....etc...etc.  But for people whose first two jabs were both AZ then Pfizer was only offered "if your 2nd AZ jab had been given at least 3 months earlier...fortunately our 2nd jab was exactly 3 months earlier.

So, we walked in around 7:30am on 22 Dec along with hundreds of other folks, but by 10:30am we were done....got our free Pfizer booster jabs.  I'm glad we went on 22 Dec because all the Pfizer was used on 22 Dec leaving none for 23 Dec.  But the hospital has told people they will have Pfizer again on 29 Dec/Wednesday.  The hospital's vaccination center is a close by public center and they give jabs every Wednesday versus Monday-Friday like before....only walk-ins now....no scheduling of appointments like they use to do before.  It's an ever changing environment regarding getting jabs at public and govt hospitals especially since the govt controls the vaccine procurement/receipt/distribution.

So, our two basic AZ jabs and a Pfizer booster jab were provided free by the Thai govt for the Thai wife and me (I'm a farang).    All accomplished via the govt Mor Phromt app for the first two jabs and keeping our ears to the ground looking for a Pfizer or Moderna booster jab....fortunately, it all worked out.   We should be done with COVID jabs for a year or so.

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

The wife and I got our 1st AstraZeneca jab 30 June, 2nd AZ jab 22 Sep (12 weeks between AZ jabs)...and yesterday/22 Dec we got our Pfizer booster jab (3 months after the 2nd AZ jab). 

We scheduled the 1st AZ jab using the Mor Phromt app.....when getting the 1st jab a 2nd AZ jab was automatically scheduled.....we got both of these AZ jabs at the same western Bangkok private hospital which is only five minutes away from where we live.....in-and-out in less than an hour for each AZ jab.   Both jabs furnished free by the govt.

We got our free booster jab at a govt hospital in Photharam which is a small town in Rachaburi province...close to where the wife's mother lives....about 75 km west of Bangkok.  We noticed a flyer the hospital put on their Facebook page where the jabs where to be given on 22-23 Dec via walk-in only....they had 1,000 AZ jabs and 1,000 Pfizer jabs to give as booster jabs over the two days. 

Whether you got a AZ or Pfizer booster depended on what combination your first two jabs had been as people have got all kinds of combos like Sinovac + Sinophram, Sinovac + Sinovac, Sinovac + AZ, AZ + AZ, etc....etc...etc.  But for people whose first two jabs were both AZ then Pfizer was only offered "if your 2nd AZ jab had been given at least 3 months earlier...fortunately our 2nd jab was exactly 3 months earlier.

So, we walked in around 7:30am on 22 Dec along with hundreds of other folks, but by 10:30am we were done....got our free Pfizer booster jabs.  I'm glad we went on 22 Dec because all the Pfizer was used on 22 Dec leaving none for 23 Dec.  But the hospital has told people they will have Pfizer again on 29 Dec/Wednesday.  The hospital's vaccination center is a close by public center and they give jabs every Wednesday versus Monday-Friday like before....only walk-ins now....no scheduling of appointments like they use to do before.  It's an ever changing environment regarding getting jabs at public and govt hospitals especially since the govt controls the vaccine procurement/receipt/distribution.

So, our two basic AZ jabs and a Pfizer booster jab were provided free by the Thai govt for the Thai wife and me (I'm a farang).    All accomplished via the govt Mor Phromt app for the first two jabs and keeping our ears to the ground looking for a Pfizer or Moderna booster jab....fortunately, it all worked out.   We should be done with COVID jabs for a year or so.

i have had the same as you ,but they are now advising a 4th jab ,not sure how long after.

On 12/16/2021 at 7:56 PM, rabas said:

Vichaiyut hospital in Bangkok let us decide when to take shots although they do provide recommendations.

I had a full size Moderna shot Dec 8, 91 days after completing 2 AZ shots. I could have taken it earlier. They had my AZ shots on record.  They also automatically set my 2nd Moderna appointment 28 days after the first but I will move it to March.

While I was there, they said I could use both shots as a full Moderna course now (28 day gap) or use them as 'boosters' several months apart, thought they said boosters made more sense.

Are boosters just half the vial, a different vial, different dose *and* different content (such as flu shot for seniors vs  non-seniors where both are true) or something else?

On 12/18/2021 at 7:16 PM, rabas said:

If you are in Bangkok, contact Vichaiyut Hospital, on Rama 6.  https://www.vichaiyut.com/moderna/

They state you can have a Moderna booster 8 weeks (sapda) after 2X pfizer or 2X AZ shots. I had mine 91 days after dual AZ shots, by my choice.

Perhaps you read Thai. I clicked on the website and after mucking about a little I was able to change the language (look for Thai flag and change there). However, content searches using obvious keywords (Moderna, booster,  extra, COVID, COVID-19) all brought up zero results. So, don't expect English option to be fully functional.

58 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

Perhaps you read Thai. I clicked on the website and after mucking about a little I was able to change the language (look for Thai flag and change there). However, content searches using obvious keywords (Moderna, booster,  extra, COVID, COVID-19) all brought up zero results. So, don't expect English option to be fully functional.

You can use Google to translate ..... oh ..... they changed the link.....

The original link now goes to two pages, Group 1 for first round and Group 2 for later round purchases. Just press the big 1 for the information page I referenced earlier,  or use this link:  Group 1 Moderna

Now use google to translate...

Note: The graph is an image that won't translate the only words you need  Month:  เดือน and Microgram: ไมโครกรัม.

So all their 'boosters' are full sized 100 µg shots.

Edited by rabas

I got my booster yesterday at the indoor stadium in Pattaya. 2 x AZ in uk 170 days ago. 

Arrive wait show driving licence, all done about 3 hours.

Now the fun begins, I do not have a 13 digit number to register for the app so have no certificate of vaccine. the call centre help line rings out. 

Edited by Big Bert
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

I got my booster yesterday at the indoor stadium in Pattaya. 2 x AZ in uk 170 days ago. 

Now the fun begins, I do not have a 13 digit number to register for the app so have no certificate of vaccine. the call centre help line rings out. 

What time did you arrive?

Is it really necessary to arrive early in the morning?

Were you processed at all upon entry?

I'm concerned about arriving if they don't process upon entry, waiting for hours, and then them running out of stock.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, World Traveller2 said:

Are boosters just half the vial, a different vial, different dose *and* different content (such as flu shot for seniors vs  non-seniors where both are true) or something else?

They are just another dose either at full strength or half strength depending on the vacinne.  For example: a Pfizer booster is a full doze (just like doses 1 and 2) while a Moderna booster is recommended to be a half doze although a full doze can be given.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Bert said:

Too late for you now, but if it helps anyone else in similar circumstances, I posted how I solved this when getting my booster last week.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1243081-pattaya-booster-shots-with-a-refere-to-foreigners-how-where-when/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-17058477

1 hour ago, Pib said:

They are just another dose either at full strength or half strength depending on the vacinne.  For example: a Pfizer booster is a full doze (just like doses 1 and 2) while a Moderna booster is recommended to be a half doze although a full doze can be given.

This could explain why my friend's wife in Switzerland was very sick for two days after her Pfizer booster. But it doesn't explain why her less hearty spouse did not.

Can anyone recommend a link to a layman's scientific explanation why Pfizer is not a half-dose? Also, whether Moderna works as a third dose (or any mRNA will do, in fact a different one might improve resistance to SARS-Cov2)?

19 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

This could explain why my friend's wife in Switzerland was very sick for two days after her Pfizer booster. But it doesn't explain why her less hearty spouse did not.

Can anyone recommend a link to a layman's scientific explanation why Pfizer is not a half-dose? Also, whether Moderna works as a third dose (or any mRNA will do, in fact a different one might improve resistance to SARS-Cov2)?

Pfizer and Moderna are almost identical except for dosage.

Moderna normal dose: 100 µg mRNA

Pfizer normal dose: 30 µg mRNA

Moderna half dose: 50 µg mRNA

Some recommend a 50µg Moderna booster but it can also be 100 µg.

Thus Moderna may provide somewhat stronger protection but it's probably not a big difference.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What time did you arrive?

Is it really necessary to arrive early in the morning?

Were you processed at all upon entry?

I'm concerned about arriving if they don't process upon entry, waiting for hours, and then them running out of stock.

Arrived at 07.00 had my vax cert from uk and driving licence. sue for 1.5 hrs then start the shuffle through the checks. only issue was people under 90 days from last short told to leave. everyone else ok. majority Thai with the odd pale face.

• Thanks 1

Currently in queue at ASIATIQUE  vax centre. Tents read 'Sirivadhanabhakdi  Foundation' . I don't know Thai but the name sounds very Brahminical, suggestive of a public service organization with aristocratic orgins.

Queues were both orderly yet had a sense of winging it. First guy said X, second guy says Y. I think this is not set up for foreign tourists. At first (admin oIffice) I was told 'no walk-ins, come back tomorrow between 08:00 and 11:00.' Noticing three line-ups of patient Thais I asked the old man organizer. He said much the same. But then talking to a younger staff member (volunteer) he waffled, and apparently desperate to get rid of me, he gave me a chit. I never claimed to have filled in, downloaded, and printed the online form.

But here I am among several hundred persons. To be continued...

IMG_20211224_145315787.jpg

IMG_20211224_145412637.jpg

I got this close. Then at final step before the jab a nice young lady refused me. Heck, I am used to this...

I am not eligible because it has not been six months from Pfizer jab #2.  I snuck back from exit and enquired from same person... Only Pfizer here. At another place (Bang Sue) possible. But according to their regulations posted online (that is, those of the MoPH) different but equally restrictive rules apply.

I could try, but too much risk of symptomatic reaction interfering with PCR in 3 days and flight in 5 days IMHO.

I have more confidence in getting booster in Cambodia anyway. That country is loaded with foreign funds and NGO/media attention. Thailand is a serious country with real laws.

IMG_20211224_154710554.jpg

Edited by World Traveller2

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

AKA ThaiBev.

Thai Beverage? To my ear the long name sounds very high-class Indian.

I heard a story once, don't know if any truth in it. It goes like this ..

At some point (19th century?) ethnic Chinese traders (who had more money than blue blood) were required by law to adopt names in the Thai language. So, opportunistically (and who can blame them?)  they chose top-class illustrious names closely linked to the religion of the creme de la creme, Hinduism not Buddhism.

Any truth to this story?

17 minutes ago, World Traveller2 said:

At some point (19th century?) ethnic Chinese traders (who had more money than blue blood) were required by law to adopt names in the Thai language. So, opportunistically (and who can blame them?)  the chose top-class illustrious names closely linked to the religion of the creme de la creme, Hinduism not Buddhism.

Not quite.  The Thai Surname Act was in 1913 under King Rama VI.  It applied to everyone - not just Thai-Chinese.  Thai-Chinese surnames are often quite literal translations of their original Chinese names.  The presence of Indic elements is simply because they used more formal language which (in the case of Thailand) is often derived from Pali and Sanskrit. 

Pali happens to be the language of Theravada Buddhism, so nothing to do with Hinduism.

Edited by Oxx
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Not quite.  The Thai Surname Act was in 1913 under King Rama VI.  It applied to everyone - not just Thai-Chinese.  Thai-Chinese surnames are often quite literal translations of their original Chinese names.  The presence of Indic elements is simply because they used more formal language which (in the case of Thailand) is often derived from Pali and Sanskrit. 

Pali happens to be the language of Theravada Buddhism, so nothing to do with Hinduism.

I am no scholar, I didn't even graduate, but...

I was a three-semester student of Sanskrit, Hindi, and the history of Asian religions 40 years ago (*me* four decades ago, that family of religions called 'dharmic' is considerably older).

Even now I noticed several (probably *all*) of the components of this foundation name as being Hindu, or at least Bharatiya (Indic), in origin. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Pali has borrowed Sanskrit root words. I would for example, bet money that 'bhakdi' is "bhakti" (devotion) and 'siri' is the honorific "sri" (illustrious). Maybe there is enough cross-over, Buddhism arising out of a Hindu origin.

The upper-upper crust of Thailand is certainly associated with Brahmincal Hinduism. But you are simply saying that the Chinese are not, which is no doubt true.

I would rather not go into detail here, but at a certain socially ethereal level, Brahmin priests are employed, Brahmin rites are performed and there is even a personal association with non-Buddhist deities.

I get your point - I had my facts wrong about the ethnic Chinese. Also the century!

'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'?

I noticed this option "Registration" on the Mor Prom app - maybe it was there all along - and do note that it is "Out of service" currently, but maybe that button can be used in the future to book a booster? (But then maybe it refers to some other sort of 'registration'?)

morpromreg.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, Dario said:

I had my second Pfizer shot from Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen on October 3. Under normal conditions I should take a booster by April 2, 2022, but seen the arrival of Omicron and the fact that I have diabetes since more than 20 years, I would prefer to advance the date by 2 months, that would be February 2, 2022. I would like to purchase a Moderna booster to be administered in Khon Kaen (I live in northern Surin province). Does anyone have any idea, how I should proceed best?

Update:

Yesterday I was informed by the nurse living in our village that my wife and I are scheduled for a Pfizer booster shot given on January 15 at our nearest provincial town, only 12 km away from our home. No need for me to travel a third time to Khon Kaen. G*R*E*A*T! For one time local Thai health management works. I send a big Thank You to the powers in charge.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1